1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Gold rim tang added to my reefer 350

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by christian_scott, Jan 18, 2017.

1. christian_scott

christian_scott Registered

Hi fellow reefers

Last Saturday I purchased a gold rim for my tank which I acclimatised to my tank before adding him in.
    All was going well till about 4 hours later and he started to get white spots on him which straight away I thought it would be ich and the day after he was covered.
    But it's been 4 days now and it seems to be clearing up but none of my other fish have any spots on them.
    Could this be down to the stress of moving him from the lfs to my aquarium.
    I am currently running TMC Ozone in the tank too so is it just a case of the ozone is killing the parasite if he has it in its free flowing stage before it reaches other fish.

Look forward to your info on this matter

Regards

Chris

2. warby

warby Registered

I'm a firm believer whitespot is in 99% of tanks and will flare up when a fish is stressed. ozone imo won't do anything for whitespot as in hobby kits we can get enough o3 to kill off the parasite. ozone works similar to polyp lab medic by raising the orp level of the water in which it MAY disrupt the life cycle and cause fewer parasites to latch onto the fish.
    my advise is keep your hands out of the tank and feed them well.
    once whitespot is in there it's there if that makes sence. it will more then likely live on the gills of the fish where it goes unnoticed.

Sent from my s6 using Tapatalk!

3. pelici25

pelici25 Registered

A Acanthurus Japonicus isn't the easiest tang. They have a very thin mucus layer so it's easier for parasites to 'break in'.

In our tank his/she is always very nervous and always playing ''Boss''. And never white spot free!!! But we don't panic. He/she eats alot and is always first to look what is happening in the tank: cutting corals, defrosting food, cleaning windows,...

We have him/here for about 4 years now, but I must tell alot of reefers declared us crazy to put such a ''difucult' tang in our 600l tank. As I must say in the morning he/she shows 'zoochoris', restless swimming the same round again and again and...

I run UV and sometimes Ozone.

I olso make my own tang/dwarfangel food (it contains carrot, spinach, banana, broccoli, garlic, ascorbic acid, concentrated beetrood juice, dry fishfood,...) to give them enough fresh greens to eat an maybe stay healty imo?

I hope you can enjoy the lovely for many years. Good luck.

4. warby

warby Registered

can you stick up a picture as there have been alot of 'gold rim' tangs come through that arnt actually gold rims they are powder browns and have been labelled wrong.
    see below.....

this one is a gold rim tang

[​IMG]

this is powder brown but being sold as gold rim by alot of places.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  5. christian_scott

Hi

Thanks for the reply people he is grazing on the rocks and only picking at food and I just don't want to lose him because he's a really nice looking and colourful tang.

Here is the picture of the Tang. I've had whitespot before but it's never done what has happened with this one and usually the other fish get effected by the next day but this time there nothing on them and the Tang has only a few spots on him

Attached Files:

6. christian_scott

This is him this morning and he looks really well touch wood

Attached Files:

7. warby

warby Registered

That's what I thought it was it's a powder brown not a gold rim. powder browns are more susceptible to w.s. think along the lines of powder blue.
    hopefully he's shaken it off but as I say once it's in the system it will stay there but can go unnoticed. just keep your hands out for a while (I know it's hard as we all love messing haha) and feed well for a few weeks.

8. christian_scott

It is hard to stay out of the tank as I also have a sun coral to feed and keep healthy but I've bought the Tang some krill to eat as well as garlic mysis so hopefully he's on the way to recovery but nothing else in the tank is effected.
    Only problem I have is that I've had 4 lyretail anthias on order for 4 week and there due in tomorrow and ready for collection in a week

9. pelici25

pelici25 Registered

Whoops I just googled... (what's wrong with the world if I can't trust 'the' search engine) ...and A. Japonicus came first...

Nice school of anthias... Will it be a problem? Don't have any experience with them.

Sun coral, Tubastea? I feed it with this great invention...

[​IMG][​IMG]

...a pipet and a strow.

10. christian_scott

I might have to make myself one of them as it'll be easier than getting my arm wet everytime I feed it lol.
    I've got some good new regarding the Tang too as it's finally started eating which I am really chuffed about

11. Sabaxter

Sabaxter Registered

Lovely looking fish!

12. christian_scott

13. christian_scott

Hi guys

Is it a bit of a coincidence that since I have turned my ozone down that the whitespot has come back cos it's been clear since I have been running it at 75 mg for 8 hours and for the last 3 days I've run it at 50mg at 4 hours and now he's starting to cover again ?

14. warby

warby Registered

ozone won't kill off white spot once it's in the tank it's in basicly ozone will help reduce the numbers but won't eradicate it. best thing you can do is learn to manage it by keeping your tank a stress free environment.
    short of removing all fish treating in copper or hyposalinity then leaving the display fish free for 12weeks you will still have it. ohh and quarantine anything that's wet I.e. rock corals fish inverts e.t.c

also if your running 75mg/hr of ozone through a skimmer it won't last long 99% of skimmers are only rated to 50mg/hr

15. christian_scott

I do have another tank but it's only small and I would probably cause more stress to the fish so I think I'll leave the ozone on where it is for the time being and see if it clears like it did last time.
    I know about the skimmers with the 50mg an hour but I just don't want to lose any fish so if my skimmer gets damaged so be it cos I think the fishes health is more important.
    So the ozone will reduce the numbers and am I right in thinking it kills it off in its free float stage which is night time ?

16. christian_scott

I have also ordered an orp controller cos I tested my orp last night and it was 99mv which I thought was really bad tbh and I make no wonder the Tang wasn't happy but my rusty angel also has marks on him too now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice