1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Going Wrong :(

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by aces_up1504, Jan 10, 2012.

1. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Following on from first casualty

Just arrived home to find one of clown fish dead.

At a loss what to do, Help!!!

Could the cyno being causing some issues, i thought lack of oxygen. Thoughts? It was not a huge amount but have sucked it up.

The Frogspawn not looking it best either and very deflated.

I know i have got high phosphates 1ppm having been runing rowaphos in a bag for a week but seems to be making no difference, tested 3 times without any change.

Whats the next step?

2. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

I suggest you get some values for Ammonia up. Did you see a spike after your last casualty?
    Rowa is brilliant, but only when it's working efficiently. This is certainly worth a read: RowaPhos - why waste your money? | The Aquarium Solution
    As for the frogspawn. What lighting do you have, and can you supply: Mag, Calc Dkh and SG Levels.
    For both, it might be useful to know the PH and Temp levels.
    James

3. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

with frogspawn as james says we need a full set of water parameters to advise properly cyno wont be depleting oxygen I wouldnt have thought. Also the rowa may not last too long with a high result as it will become exhausted quicker.

Rowa in a sock isnt a good way of using it really.

4. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Tested yesterday

Ammonia <0.25ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 5ppm
    Phosphate 1ppm
    Salinty 1.0024
    Temp 80oF

Thats all the testing kits i have at the moment. Will do ammonia check after my tea to see if there has been a spike.

Running riverreef 94 with no mods, Frogspawn is at the bottom of the tank and seemed quite happy until the last 48 hours

5. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Hi,
    Ok, your ammonia is an immediate problem. A water change in your volume tank should help to decrease that dramatically. You need to aim for 0 ammonia all the time, anything else can mean death.

As for Salinity, do you mean 1.024? If so, you might want to raise it to 1.026. Corals are happier at 1.024-1.026/7.

You should look to get the other test kits as soon as really when keeping corals, especially LPS and SPS.

How is the lighting in the tank. Is it all working and less than say 9 months old? Any older and they start to become less effective, but it may not be visible to the naked eye.

James

6. peerless

peerless Registered

Agree with James's comments above. Also pretty new system at 4 weeks old and it may not have been fully cycled.

7. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Cheers for the replies.
    I would thought that the cyno would be producing oxygen from photosynthesis and quite large bubbles can been seen leaving it.

Just checked on the frogspawn, seems to be happier and inflated again after removing the cyno.

Sorry typo yes 1.0024 salinty

Ammonia is the biggest problem, just checked it and is still at <0.25, which is as low as the test kit goes and there is no colour change at all.

So why has the fish died?

8. Marine Life UK

what test kit are you using as many using the salifert kit get confussed as it stays cloudy but cloudy is ok providing it has no tinge of colour

9. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

yep using the salifert kit it goes cloudy but no colour change

10. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Any ideas any one?

Just seems odd, dead cleaner fish, bump/ pimple on nose of Wrasse and dead Clown within 48 hours.

Would any other other marine tests that i have not performed if the levels were incorrect cause the death of a innvert or clown fish.

11. HighEndOfTheLow

HighEndOfTheLow Registered

Cyanobacteria actually puts oxygen out during the day as it photosynthesises, but uses it at night- which can cause oxygen depletion, however this is probably not the cause. On breeding forums, cyano is seen as "the blessing from the aquarium gods", and is used A LOT for nutrient export in breeding set ups

12. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

I did not think it would be, or given the amount of problems people see with cyno there would also be a lot of dead fish in peoples tanks.

But leaves me non the wiser to their deaths.

13. HighEndOfTheLow

ok....

in one post give us,

A photo of the whole tank if possible

A list of the system spec

Size of tank
    Amount of live rock
    Sump?
    Skimmer?
    Light used
    Powerheads/flow

Livestock known alive
    Coral
    Clean up crew

Last water change
    Last set of tank parameters
    Any dosing of supplements
    Feeding schedule

Salt used
    R.O source and T.D.S

Using Active carbon? What Brand?
    Phosphate remover + brand

Any changes in the room that tank resides? New kitchen fitted carpet fitted etc.
    The other half done any cleaning around the tank?
    Stray voltage? (youd feel it if you put your hand in)

I know its a large post but hopefully it will shed some light on the problem

Liz and Luke

14. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

To add to the above. Can you get to a LFS or other local reefer to get those test confirmed?

15. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Have put a wanted requested to see if some can help with testing.
    But anyone local to Liverpool/ Warrington/ St Helens that could help would be greatly thanked

[​IMG]

Frogspawn now placed where rock at the botton of the tank is.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  16. Marine Life UK

get a sample and take to lfs most wont charge and if they do it wont be a huge amount

17. Jacobryder

Jacobryder Registered

ammonia sounds like the problem bud how long have u had ur tank running ?

18. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

tank has been running just over a month, used LR from a tank breakdown which was not exposed to air during transport and in the tank within 30 mins of picking it up.

Would agree Ammonia most obvious reason for death of fish, but tests saying <0.25.

19. HighEndOfTheLow

He has already said the ammonia was tested with salifert and it didnt change colour, indicating no ammonia.

OK...

I would suggest with phosphates of 1ppm, I would be looking at a tank full of hair algae and glass algae.

I would suggest a little korallia nano or similar to increase the flow a bit, from experience if all in one tanks there is normally less flow than ideal, although this isnt likely to be the problem but might help your cyano.

I would be going to your LFS and asking to read the T.D.S of their R.O, and I would test your fresh saltwater from the LFS for nitrates and phosphates. If you have any left try and do that now, and let us know the results.

How long have you had the clown fish. Were they from an LFS? How did you acclimatise them? same with the cleaner shrimp.

Did you see the clowns fighting at all? or any issues between the wrasse and the clowns?

20. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Typically as per when things go wrong i used the last of the water on friday. But will be buying more on friday. So will test it it then.

Power head is next purchase, Pay day on friday

By glass Algae you mean just on the glass, a little but not a huge amount. Starting to see some hair algae on some of the rocks.

Clown fish have been in just over 3 weeks, cleaner shrimp 3 weeks. Where acclimatised left in bag in tank for hour and then over the period of 2 hours added tank water.

Not seen any fighting generally ignored each other, the Wrasse did move the cleanershrimp from its usual position.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice