1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Frozen foods, one for all you LPS/SPS keepers

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by stevebibby, Feb 1, 2011.

1. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Think this may have been covered many times, with different thoughts but after reading a couple of posts Killi has put on Hellers tank thread thought I'd bring it up again.

I was always told "rinse your frozen cubes with ro water to remove PO4 before adding to your tank" Which I did for years and years. It was only when I visted another reefer, (not a member on here) and sat having a talk about the pro's and cons of it all.

Now we have all seen many posts on this, showing different water tests of defrosted foods and the amount of PO4 that could be introduced to you system (easily managed with regular water changes) however I've changed my thinking.

Since the reintroduction of fish into the tank it's been a case of defrost the frozen cube in a small container with a bit of tank water and that added stright into the tank. no rinsing.

Ok my stocking is very low and I'm only adding 1/4 of a cube a day but IMO by rinsing the food we are washing down the drain many small particals which in turn could be feeding our corals.

Anyhow since I started this I'm getting far more PE than ever before and everything is looking a lot more healthier and another plus I havent lost a single frag, which in the past I'm sorry to say that I would have done.

At the end of the day though it is a balancing act, making sure that you dont overfeed and leave rotting food in the tank but for me this is a win, win situation. Fine particals and a tiny amount of PO4 being introduced to act as nutrients for the corals.

Just my opinion
    Steve

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Totally with you on this Steve, I used to rinse my frozen foods when I first started reefing but changed all that only 3 months later & have never rinsed since.

3. IanG

IanG Registered

I defrost mine with warm tap water in a 53micron rotifer sieve. That way, you don't lose the small particles but do lose the high po4 water. Win win!

Having said that, if the roti sieve didn't work for me, I still wouldn't be rinsing. As above the minuscule po4 addition should be easily manageable.

4. pieater

pieater Registered

I rinse the big cubes in tank water and discard it, then add a small cube of oyster eggs to provide the smaller particles.

5. reefreak33

reefreak33 Registered

Good post, thanks for the info. I for one will not be rinsing in future.

6. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Ian
    Do you not find you are slightly cooking the food by doing this? IMO you'd be better off just using cold water as anything above zero will defrost it, just takes a bit longer to do

Steve

7. pieater

pieater Registered

That's why I like using tank water. Salty water seems to make it thaw quicker.

8. screwloose

screwloose Registered

never rinsed myself

stick 3-5 cubes in a galss with bit of tank water,,then in she goes ;)

9. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Warm unfiltered water out the tap thats been sat in copper? Do you test the tap water for nitrate/phosphate?

I dont rinse and I defrost using tank water

10. screwloose

screwloose Registered

yer simply too much hassle.. and lets not forget, nutrients we are trying to keep low, also feed our corals..

when i had nitrates in excess 0f 70,,my sps growth was amazing,,just a shame it was all the same colour ;)

11. IanG

IanG Registered

Nope. The point is that the water doesn't go into the tank. It goes out of the bottom of the sieve (along with the high po4 water from the frozen food) then down the drain. Of course there will still be minute amounts of tap water left on the sieve and contents, but unless ur trying to maintain zero nutrients at all times and/or are paranoid about no3 / po4 then the amounts we're talking shouldn't be enough to worry about.

12. Ged

Ged Registered

I am with the others.

Yes frozen food contains phosphates etc, but 1, 2 or even 3 cubes in a 350 litre tank (as in mine) is not going to make any difference whatsoever.

If you tank is maintained, has good husbandry, good filtration, and you do regular water changes etc, then the additional Phosphates can be easily handled. Big Thumbs Up

I now put in 21 unwashed cubes a week, 14 pinches of flake per week, and 7 blobs of Coral Gel per week, and have Phosphates between 0.015 and 0.03 Big Thumbs Up

Obviously every tank is different though. :whistling:

13. naca

naca Registered

think rinsing your food for nanos small systems ect, but the large tanks like most you guys got in this thread it wont make a blind bit of difference.

14. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

Too true mate.
    A bit like peeing in the ocean

15. MinerWilly

MinerWilly Registered

Used to rinse everything but now don't, let the fish feed from my hand for a bit then mush the food up and let it spread around. Everything is doing very well, especially the cyano ;) , but with no chemicals or filtration at all apart from LR and water changes it'll probably crash in the next few months and i'll blame it on the not rinsing.

:whistling:

16. naca

naca Registered

i still prefer the new era pellet/flake over frozen for fish, i never used frozen for the last 6 months of my old system, the fish seem to be more colourfull to me ? might have been my mind playing tricks on me tho :lol:

17. Ged

Ged Registered

I have always used New Era flake, on week 2 of Aegis 2 currently. Big Thumbs Up

Still give them frozen though as well.

18. stevebibby

stevebibby Registered

I'm of the same opinion, flake is usually vitamin enriched so helps with the overall health of the fish and therefore giving them better colours.

Steve

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice