1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Forum Changes/upgrades

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by doug_amanda, Aug 27, 2018.

1. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Over the last week myself @jim_fitz Got our heads together to try and come up with some solutions to try and give the forum a well needed lift, the result of this is that we both have been granted administrator rights by @Brent W this means that if and when any issues arise there will be someone on hand within a reasonable timeframe to deal with it.
    I make no secret of the fact that I would love the salty box to get back to the place it used to be,, A friendly and enjoyable place to spend time discussing this fantastic hobby of ours as well as helping new hobbyists get the same enjoyment from their tanks and inhabitants.
    Brent stated in one of his early posts that the forum is ours (the members) to use and today in my opinion he has made good on that statement.
    That said the one main thing that will lift this forum to where it belongs is it’s members, we still have new people joining regularly and members asking genuine questions for help advice and guidance. If you can help or offer an opinion then your contribution will be greatly appreciated (and you never know you might even enjoy it) I firmly believe that the more the forum is used, the more it will be used and it will be a better place for us all.
    I’m not going to bang on for ages but to clarify a couple of rule changes that have been made in the past but not changed publicly until now.
    Sales threads... it states that to post up an item for sale you need a minimum post count of 50. This has been ignored by the mods for some time now.
    What hasn’t changed is the need to keep all communication on the thread and only taken to pm once the sale has been agreed. This is for your protection so there is a public record of the sale.
    Also an individual who is found using the forum purely to sell without offering some reasonable contribution to the boards will at the discretion of the moderators/admin not have their sales threads approved and be deleted.

It’s always been a tricky one as to whether or not non sponsors are allowed to be named within posts or threads, this also has been ignored for quite a while now, I may be going out on a limb but there’s some great shops up and down the county, and no doubt around the world that have some very knowledgeable and helpful owners and staff. I see no issue with naming them within the forums.
    Brent has hinted that the forum is getting a new look in the very near future so with that in mind and a little added enthusiasm I think things are looking a tad brighter for the salty box and it goes without saying if anybody has any suggestions no matter how small to help make the forum a more welcoming and pleasant place to be then feel free to add it to this thread

Happy reefing all, .................................and don’t forget to write.......(post)

2. doug_amanda

I have been looking through some of the forums that I’ve never really bothered with before, and neither has anybody else looking at the dates of the last posts, particularly the livestock and coral databases,

there’s a good deal of threads with pictures that are no longer visible because they were hosted by photobucket, so therefore have no use on the forum anymore. Anybody got any reasons why they can’t be deleted/removed and cleaned up?
    I do think that if these threads were added to with up to date pictures and information they would be a good resource,
    So let’s get some fish and coral pictures posted up guys with some info on how to care for them and turn these tired old threads into something worth visiting and learning from.
    Cheers all :aplastao::aplastao:

Attached Files:

3. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

Personally , Delete, Update and Refresh

doug_amanda likes this.
  4. jazz

jazz Registered

well done, I hope this will give SB it's kick start.

doug_amanda likes this.
  5. doug_amanda

Hope so jazz

6. doug_amanda

Ok I’ve now managed to complete the (not) completed profiles for the database forum that was started years ago, there’s still a lot more that can be added so if anybody’s up for it then please feel free to copy/paste the template into a thread and share some of that valuable knowledge with other members.

I have also started to recover most of the photos that weren’t showing on the livestock and coral database threads but there’s still loads to do so I’ll keep plunging away at it, check out the wrass and the blennies & gobies threads,, do they look ok now?
    I’ve also removed some of the defunct pictures from the other sections and I’m fairly confident these can be reinstated back as they should be,, still a lot to do though:(:(
    We need some pictures of a marine Betta and butterfly fish if anybody keeps them,,the templates have been completed (again years ago) but not got any accompanying pictures, (they could then be added to the completed profiles) and obviously you will be credited with the pictures.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    reefloat and hotashes like this.
  7. doug_amanda

Ok that’s all the photographers that can be recovered put back in the fish photographs section,
    The clownfish section is pretty good now it’s been cleaned up and updated with plenty of pics, but some of the other section are still lacking so get some pics in there guys and don’t forget the template is there for anybody to use to build the completed database.
    If you spot anything not quite right then shout up.:angryyell::angryyell:

8. doug_amanda

Ok that’s all the photos reinstated and all the threads cleaned up in the livestock and coral database section,
    At least now when looking through it it’s not full of blank pictures where pictures used to be and I think it all makes some sense now.

I will start on the tank threads next, again there’s a lot of pictures not showing making what are good threads almost unreadable.

It’s going to take a while :eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  9. Realist

Realist Registered

It’s nice to see ideas become reality and you all have my very best for the future.

10. doug_amanda

11. les

les Registered

I had a PM from.Brent a while ago and replied to him with my thoughts on improving the forum. I of course replied direct to him. Few if any will be aware of that and as the exchanges were via PM I will refrain from repeating them there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice