1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Fluke Tablets

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by [email protected], Dec 12, 2012.

1. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

It probably won't fall off. It should turn to like a dust so get a tooth brush on it

2. ged@fishnochips

[email protected] Registered

Tried using a toothbrush, not making a lot of difference tbh its like it is glued on.

Defo dead though and all that has happened is the **** that was inside its skin has now made the tank lovely and cloudy.
    [MENTION=12904]MinerWilly[/MENTION] there is definitely signs of algae appearing, some brown and some green ish colouring on one of the rocks and the glass.

I don't normally suffer from algae, only cyano, which ironically has dropped down a lot.

3. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

Give it a couple more days it should get dustier.

Your phosphate will have shot through the roof, took me 6-8 weeks to get rid of the aftermath

4. ged@fishnochips

Thats me goosed then, no bio pellets, and no phosphate media. I will do some regular water changes after a few more days anyway as I need some extra water for next weekend.

5. screwloose

screwloose Registered

embrace the phos :)

6. ged@fishnochips

Monkey see, Monkey do. pmsl

7. ged@fishnochips

Day 6 Update:

The GSP is officially ****ed. It has died hoepfully, a slow painful death, never to return.

It is so wierd looking into the tank and not seeing the waving heads and a mass of brown carpet.

All fish appear to be fine, as do the nems and remaining corals. The matting does seem to be getting lighter in colour and sort of transparent if that makes sense.

Algae on glass (fine green colour) is definitely appearing, which is obviously the **** coming out into the water column.

However, I really do not car, less than a week to go before the changeover now, and I will readdress the algae issues once moved over.

8. pieater

pieater Registered

Welcome to my world. I would say you'll see an improvement in the algae the inevitable cyno bloom in about 12 weeks. I would advise running rowaphos and carbon - small amounts and change weekly till its gone.

9. ged@fishnochips

Already got cyano mate, so expecting to see more of that. I normally run carbon, but took that out the other week. I hate paying for Rowa, so may just get some Bio Pearls at some point in the future. A little undeicded for the moment which way to turn as it is not as if I have any particular fussy corals parameters wise.

I am currently doing a 30 litre water change, but only as I need an extra 100 odd litres of water for my upgrade next week, so I am saving the waste and probably going to dump it into the spare tank for holding the fish next weekend and then put it all back in the new tank.

Its real hard to explain how much this has picked me up and my tank keeping attitude, I was so ****** off, looking at the total destruction it had caused. I know it is my fault, I accept that, I should have been more proactive on keeping the nutrients etc lower.

10. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

I might be worth adding some Phosphate remover now.

I understand why you aren't really bothered as you are close to closing the tank down, bit if the Phos levels rise, wont the LR absorb it and you will be transferring the problem to your new tank?

Just a thought.

Glad the BSP is dead though!

11. ged@fishnochips

The tank cannot be any worse off in reality Roger?

Whatever is in it is going to be diluted by 33% anyway. I currently have 339 litres and I am going to 452 litres so an increase of 113 litres or so. Plus once in the new tank, water changes will be frequent anyway.

It hardly seems worth doing anything at the moment, as there is too much to do in preparation, and no doubt there is going to be a lot of distrurbance etc during the changeover. Plus I have to put new sand in blah blah blah

Once setup I will then decide which route to take, but one thing for sure, I won't be using Rowa not at the price it is.

12. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Just cheato under LED's here..............seems to be working a treat!

13. ged@fishnochips

Day 7 Update:

Nothing to report really, nothing has changed, all fish and corals etc are fine. All GSP is dead. :)

Still getting green algae on the glass but no real increase in time period to get there.

If anything cyano has reduced imo

14. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Are you really, really sure it's dead, and not just retracted?????

15. ged@fishnochips

Its dead mate, never in all the days I have had this weed, has it retracted during the day. Its dead, kaput, goosed, knackered.

One piece of rock (front right) which was completely covered in it, is clear now, and looks like a piece of rock again.

I am not sure as to put the skimmer back on or not, may do so tomorrow. I know James bottled it, and turned his on quite soon, but then got some back after a bit. Mine has been skimmerless for a week now, along with carbon removed.

16. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Leave if off Ged...........don't take any chances now!!

17. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

Don't put it back on, just leave it. If everything in the tank is looking ok leave it alone. Mine had all disappeared, so I thought it was gone forever, but no such luck. :-(

18. ged@fishnochips

I won't just bought some white vinegar to give it a good clean before I do anyway. Once the new tank is up and running, I will reconnect it then.

19. ged@fishnochips

Day 8 Update:

The brown GSP has not miraculously risen from the dead overnight. More like sunk further into Hell.

All fish, corals, nems and so far snails and hermits appear to be fine.

The remnants of the GSP appear to be getting a fine algae covering of the brown type, and no doubt will start falling apart soonish hopefully, as some of the strands are waving in the flow.

I was going to do another 30 litre water change today, but the pump in my AWC has given up, so not able to, but I do have 60 litres available spare in total towards the goal of 120 ish ready for Saturday. Hopefully the pump will be here tomorrow or Thursday, so the remaining 60 litres can be used to dilute the tank down so to speak, and then make up the remaining volume required.

20. screwloose

screwloose Registered

if algae i growing on it then its defo dead ;)

oh,,i have your egg crate too, picked it up this mornin :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice