1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Flow???

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Marc, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Marc

Marc Registered

Hi all. I've worked out my tank display. Betta 1000. Is around 300 ltrs. So I'm Planing on two hydor evolution 4. 4000 ltr an hour each. I like the idea of the wavemaker to go with them. And have them come on one at a time say 5 mins each. My question is. With the return, witch is powered by a newjet 3000, do you think one hydor on at a time will create enough flow.

2. Carlos

Carlos Registered

I never count my return mate as additional flow, with the two pumps your thinking about gives you 8000lph and with your display 300ltrs gives you 26.66 turnover, IMO that's plenty for a mixed reef. And I know some will say it's not enough as well Hysterical.

It all depends on the kind of reef your going to keep, as with mine it's just LPS and mine needs to be low with the corals I have as they don't like being battered about.

3. Marc

Marc Registered

I'm not planing a masive reef. Prob about 40kg of rock. And some easy corals to be honest. Do you think it's ok that only one at a time would be on with a wavemaker. 4000 ltr an hour at each time.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  4. diviy

diviy Registered

If you use a wave machine you going to lose flow I would put another powerhead in

5. Carlos

Carlos Registered

That would only give you 13 times turn over mate, I'd say 20 min, I would add an additional powerhead that is on constant to make up the loss.

Carl

6. littlejacob

littlejacob Registered

hi marc, i have the exact tank as yours,mines in black.i have a vortech mp10 ecosmart which is well good enough,plus they are 400 litre tanks with a 35 litre sump.two 4000lhr are two much,i tried them all till i got my mp10

7. Marc

Marc Registered

Hya little jaycob. I worked it out at 300 litres ish for the display. And around 120 litres ish for the sump. Do you think one 4000 ltr an hour hydor evo will be enough each time on a wavemaker. Planing on two. One in each corner. Coming on one on and on off and so on.

8. littlejacob

littlejacob Registered

hi marc, sorry i ment to say 35 gall sump lol,mine cud be nxt size up from urs, i no they made 3 sizes, i,ll put sum pics up of mine if ok..i had 2 koralia 4000ltr pumps, on a wave maker, jus blew everything all ova the place.least wiv the mp10, they come on gradual then full power then pulse, do loads od effects wiv the water..

9. Marc

Marc Registered

Yeh seen them. Look good. Bit out of my price range at the mo though. That why I thought maybe two 4000 pumps. One at time on a wavemaker. Look forward to the pictures mate

10. littlejacob

littlejacob Registered

ha ha dont no ow to put pics up..

11. Marc

Marc Registered

Lol bummer. U need photobucket. There us an app if ur using an iphone

12. littlejacob

littlejacob Registered

13. littlejacob

littlejacob Registered

my tank.

Attached Files:

14. Marc

Marc Registered

Nice tank. It looks tha same mate. Mine is lenth-1000mm. Width-550mm height-640mm.approx 310ltres in the display and approx 120 in the sump So going off what you said when you ran two hydor 4000 evolutions. If I run two,in the 300ltr display tank but on a wave-maker so only one at a time is on. Should that be ok. Max it will be 4000ltr an hour flow at each time the pump is on.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  15. littlejacob

littlejacob Registered

cheers,measured mine and is as follows, length;1036,width;535;height 655,which converts 2 95.111 gallons.height of my water in sump equates 2 17.777 gall, so total is 112.888 gallons,deduct 2 inch of sand an 40 kilo live rock,water displacment is 87.23 galls or 392.535 ltrs...mu mp 10 kicks out 4725ltrs on full blast an certainly moves the water about so think u shud be ok.depends on wot wavemaker u get all are different..

16. Marc

Marc Registered

Was thinking the hydor smartwave to match the hydor pumps

17. littlejacob

littlejacob Registered

i think u shud be ok wiv that,another art is where 2 position the power heads for maximum movement lol,plus what softies or hards ur puttin in!!!

18. Marc

Marc Registered

I'm not sure on stock yet. I'm a beginner. So it will be easy stuff for now. I was gona put a pump in each corner and point them towards the front centre of the glass.

19. littlejacob

littlejacob Registered

mmmmm.that can cause a vortex of water hitting the front glass pushing it dwn an blasting ur sand all ova place,i put 1 in front right corner up top,wiv slight angle poining dwn an the other 1 in the left corner nxt 2 the black weir pointing at the other pump,this i found moved the water in all direction,plus i angled the small flat nozzle that fits on2 the return pipe,dwn ward hittn my rock..

20. Marc

Marc Registered

Hmm sounds good. I will try that mate. I was thinking of useing the moveable bit on my return just level with the water surface to create some surface agitation. What do ya think?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice