1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Flow Rate

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by SharkbaitII, Jun 20, 2010.

1. SharkbaitII

SharkbaitII Registered

Hi, just bought a Juwel Rio 125 litre tank, planning to keep live rock, fish & maybe 1 or 2 coral.

Just wondering if the pump is man enough! [002.gif]

It is a 600lph.....

Is this enough, if not what flow rate should i have?

Plz Help!

2. jaimeomg

jaimeomg Registered

Generally speaking, you want at least 10x your tank capacity on flow. The main filter doesn't count apparently...so you would need around 1250 l/h (at least!) through powerheads or similar.

3. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

I'd say a bit higher than that (stock depending) so I 'd aim for a decent 40x as a starter.

4. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

flow rate
    10 X minimum soft corals
    20 X minimum SPS
    30 X minimum LPS

as above 40 but this needs to be random flow

5. jaimeomg

jaimeomg Registered

As an example, my 190L has 6000 l/h going through it!

6. reef103

reef103 Registered

have a look at tunze 6025`s or koralia 2`s, tunze`s being the first choice. I would aim for 2 in that size tank...

7. SharkbaitII

SharkbaitII Registered

Thank you all for your replies, didn't think 600lph was enough [016.gif]

I'm not planning to have a great deal in the tank,

I have/will be having:-
    Approx 8kg live rock
    10-12 fish (clown, cleaner shrimp, sea urchin, star fish etc)
    1 anemone

Would the item below be adequate?

3000L/H Marine Wave Maker Aquarium Fish Tank Powerhead (Tried posting a link but wouldn't work!) [angry.gif]

Thank you again for your help so far!

8. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

that wavw makes would be a good addition

hold back on stocking the nem, they do better in a more mature tank

you would also be better with 2 x the live rock you have planned

9. rabbut

rabbut Registered

10-12 fish is going to overload a 125l tank, unless they are Neon Gobies [sad.gif] 4 would be more sensible. An experienced keeper with careful stocking selections may get away with more if they are prepared to keep on top of maintenance...

Good news though. Urchins, Shrimp and Star Fish are all invertebrates and hence don't count towards the number of "fish" you have in the tank. On the whole they don't add much load to the system. [thumbup1.gif]

Be careful with the Urchins and Star Fish. A lot of the species of each aren't reef safe (i.e. they each corals and/or CUC members), or will outgrow your tank. One of the most popular Urchins for example gets almost as large as your tank - and I'm not exaggerating for a change at 26" maximum diameter (diadema sp. Urchins) [002.gif] There are some of each that could work in a tank of your size though, so if you take care in choosing your stock it will be fine, just beware of the pit-falls. Don't trust your LFS to advise on them with accuracy though - often they aren't 100% on the requirements of these two types of inverts either...

Other than that, I think you've got all the advice you require here [thumbup1.gif]

10. SharkbaitII

SharkbaitII Registered

Thank you all, you have been very helpful! [thumbup.gif]

11. SharkbaitII

SharkbaitII Registered

Hello again, been talking with the wife and decided not to have any corals.

Going to take clearwaters advise and get 2x amount of live rock which will bring total to approx 16kg.

So could i get away with just upgrading the power head from the 600 to a 1500lph power head? [thumbup1.gif]

Also agree with rabbut with regards amount of fish, 10 - 12 included invertebrates.

12. rabbut

rabbut Registered

I would suggest getting two smaller pumps for flow. This gives redundancy if one fails for some reason - you don't loose all your flow if there is a fault with one only. [wink.gif]

13. jaimeomg

jaimeomg Registered

And i like using 2 powerheads because it means i can angle them as i please, even having the water streams 'crash' together so to speak. I figure the resulting surface agitation is also a good thing to keep my water oxygenated.

14. SharkbaitII

SharkbaitII Registered

Thanks again rabbut & jaimeomg , could you recommend any? As small as possible!

Its only a small tank [016.gif] so i was hoping i could get away with just the upgrade to save on space. [041.gif]

15. jaimeomg

jaimeomg Registered

Well, the 2 i've got were bought on eBay. Just search for 'wave maker'. Mine are branded SunSun and i got both for £15 from a UK seller, even though they are Chinese and usually have to come from Hong Kong. I got them as a 'best offer' of £7.50 each so i was delighted. Each one is 3000 l/h.
    Size wise, they definitely aren't small but nowhere near being too large either.

16. SharkbaitII

SharkbaitII Registered

Hi, found a great looking Resun Mini Wave Maker 2000lph for £10.50 on ebay [011.gif] from Hong Kong [angry.gif]

Would this product be enough with my current 600lph or should i still upgrade to the 1500lph power head aswell?

Sry if i'm asking the same questions but i want to get this right! [blink.gif]

17. rabbut

rabbut Registered

You'd get away with that much flow, but IMO some more would be better.

I like the Tunze Nanostream 6025's. I used to run these on the new tank, and the old nano until they were upgraded to the 6045's. Bomb-proof pumps they are. If it were me, I'd use a pair of them [001_smile.gif] Failing that, a pair of Koralia Nano's would do you fine [thumbup1.gif] You could also use two of the cheapies you've found on Ebay though. In marine though, you usually get what you pay for. Many of the cheaper pumps can be un-reliable and/or noisy and/or kick out a lot of extra heat into the tank [023.gif]

Ask all the questions you like. Someone will get to answering them sooner or later....

18. SharkbaitII

SharkbaitII Registered

Thanks for the help rabbut! [thumbup.gif]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice