1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Floating Reef

Discussion in 'Tank Mods & DIY' started by Holland1992, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Eaval

Eaval Registered

Glued sand has been done before. One thing to remember though is its a death trap for wrasse. They will want to dive into it on to discover its solid [email protected]

2. Holland1992

Holland1992 Registered

Yeah I need to think of a solution really. I suppose even one covered in coralline algae yes is will look like a purple shelf from beneath but if I was to fix rock to the top and bottom yes it would look better however it would put a lot more weight on the shelf. I don't want to be having issues when I am sticking corals to the rock. Mmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mgreenough

mgreenough Registered

A couple of clear acrylic rods at either end may be the solution, as these can be hidden with minimal rock.

4. rabbut

rabbut Registered

To work around flow, you can probably use a spray bar attached to a conventional powerhead to eliminate dead-spots above and below your shelf. A good pump like a maxijet 1200 into a 1/2" T, with each outlet of the T going to a 90 degree bend then into a capped length of pipe the length of the shelf should do you nicely. Each length for me would have 2 lines of 10 or so 3-5mm holes at right-angles to each other. This should give you plenty of flow around the shelf where you're vulnerable to dead-spots.

You could also consider drilling the shelf with smaller holes at the edges to attach rock with cable-ties to the front edges of the glass. This would then let you hide the glass by mounting rock directly onto the front of it where you would otherwise have struggled to keep your glass shelf invisible longer term. Hopefully I'm making sense in writing as it's hard to describe the solution I'm seeing in my head without being able to draw it out for you.

If you're an engineer you'll know the loading calculations well enough to know if the bracing is safe to remove. Just remember that glass is a material that can vary 20% in strength over a length compared to the average strength over a length, so 30-50% safety margins need to be built into your calculations to allow for the tank being accidentally knocked once it is loaded with water :wink: Admittedly a 20% variation in strength is very unusual, so 30% is very safe for most installations, but you still need to plan for edge cases with this stuff.

5. Orc

Orc Registered

Why not just make a c shape shelf in glass and cover it in rock to make it look like it's floating then there's no pressure put on main tank glass ,,,top c shape covered in rock and the bottom of c shape under sand on tank floor back kept clean so it looks like back off tank ,,if you use acrilic just bend up a c shape with heat on the acrilic

6. Holland1992

Holland1992 Registered

Floating Reef home made conversion is now completely cycled. Will post entire build thread if anyone would be interested with step by step photos taken along the way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  7. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

yes please

#we love pics

8. Eaval

Eaval Registered

Be an interesting read and good to see how this develops

9. mgreenough

mgreenough Registered

Definitely post a build thread, it would be interesting to see.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice