1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Floating Reef

Discussion in 'Tank Mods & DIY' started by Holland1992, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Holland1992

Holland1992 Registered

[​IMG]

I am in the process of converting a tropical tank to a marine tank. The process is very near completion. I am considering a floating reef Aqua scape I have the glass left over which was removed from the top of the tank. Does anyone know any pro's or con's to this design? My system is 450 litres sump included and 3 foot.

2. northernreefa

northernreefa Registered

How are you going to suspend the glass shelf like that?

3. chippypah

chippypah Registered

All the muck will get caught up on the glass.

4. northernreefa

northernreefa Registered

I personally think it would be easier to buy some clear acrylic rod, drill holes into your live rock and put the rods into the holes like legs and suspend above your sand, that way flow will not be impeded from your power heads

5. 372xp

372xp Registered

Flow, maintainance and shading. It will look cool though. You don't want anything getting stuck/ dead under the ledges. I would recommend a good cuc for this. Aips under the ledges are going to be tough to deal with as will the build up of poop. I would say fighting conch, peppermints emrald crabs basically anything that will do any of that real awkward maintainance that you won't be able to do.
    Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

6. Holland1992

Holland1992 Registered

I was going to suspend it by sealing it to the back and sides of the tank for support. I have two tunze power heads and a controller. I was going to add an extra power head maybe two into the rock work and build it into it yet leave it removable for maintenance reasons. The glass I was going to surround with agronite live rock so the supports won't be visible. And I was looking into sun corals. I already have one in my other tank. Other corals such as pipe anemone are non photosynthetic so I thought I could set some up under there to thrive in the free space. With an efficient clean up crew I'm hoping the algae with be at bay under there. It's iust an idea I've seen on the Internet. I think it looks great plus my blue cheek goby will hopefully have enough space down there not to spread the sand all over the structure above. This will mostly be an sps dominated tank with some exceptions. There is also some sps coral which require less light. I'm not so bothered about algae on the glass or anything as it won't be seen from any angle as will be surrounded in rock. It's the flow which is my main concern to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Holland1992

Holland1992 Registered

Also will update my tank thread shortly

8. 372xp

372xp Registered

Flow from the back of the tank to the front may well be the key. 2 or 3 power heads along the back wall should provide you with enough flow even under the ledges, have them set on reef crest mode, pulse mode in this set up would be pointless.

9. Holland1992

Holland1992 Registered

I'm still after the side to side motion in the flow for the sps coral do you think this will be achieved? I have two tunze power heads and they are hench with more than enough flow for the tank it's self. I have a frag rack so was going to position the tunze as you would if it was a normal aquascape then add potentially two on a separate controller. I need to get this done really and get some water in the tank and use some flake to monitor my flow when it's built and tune it to suit. Does anyone have an opinion on the way I have the glass set up in the photo in regards to the way they would set up up this is the glass I have left over to play with. [​IMG]

10. 372xp

372xp Registered

Leave a gap between the shelf and the edge of the glass, this will enable more flow around and under the shelf, also you will be able to clean the glass better ( on the sides of the tank, so looking at the photo it would be the bottom edge)
    On a side note are you available to train my girls on how to put there shoes away neatly!

11. Holland1992

Holland1992 Registered

Yeah I didn't want the shelf to make contact with any side other than the back but it's how to support the shelf to be strong enough only making contact with one pain of glass yet it's got to hold the Rock and be strong enough not to drop when attaching frags. Unless I seal some live rock to the back of the tank above the shelf at the top of the structure and build it into my aquascape as a kind of disguised brace for the shelf. As I want it to look as natural as possible as we all do.

Haha I only have one so its easy

12. 372xp

372xp Registered

I thought that where it was being held up by cans(?) you were going to support it with rock or pvc pipe. If it is going to be entirely free floating I think over such a large span it will fail. Rock is quite easy to cut with a saw/grinder so measuring up a few columns will probably be the way forward.

13. northernreefa

northernreefa Registered

I cut a lot of live rock in half using a hacksaw, its really easy to cut through, I used the flat edges to hide and disguise the weir in my display

14. Holland1992

Holland1992 Registered

Yeah that's what I'm planning on doing. I want everything hidden

15. rabbut

rabbut Registered

That removed glass may be needed to keep your tank structurally sound. Just because it holds water without it doesn't necessarily mean it is a safe set-up to leave like that. Have you run the maths to ensure it's safe to re-use as a shelf instead of bracing? If in any doubt, feel free to post the glass thickness and tank dimensions and it can be sanity checked for youBig Thumbs Up

16. CEECH

CEECH Registered

have you considered using egg crate for your shelves instead of glass. This is how i seen it done online. I have been considering to do the same myself. Egg cate with some piping for support legs and cover in rock and sand to hide. Also allows for better flow through the rockwork.

17. Holland1992

Holland1992 Registered

I am an engineer by trade. The tank will be fine it info regarding floating reef success I'm missing out on. Flow seems to be my only issue. I've gone with a single 5mm glass shelf supported on a bead of sealant the size of your finger then doubled up on it and also have a large amount on the top for support. It is surprisingly strong however due to the lack of flow at the back of the shelf I am planning on using live rock to prop the back and sides for extra support and reducing surface area underneath the shelf in the area where flow is an issue, however this will reduce the affect of the reef bring floating. Here are some updated images does anyone have an opinions/ideas? I wanted glass as is stronger plus it would give the perfect floating reef affect.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. mgreenough

mgreenough Registered

One thing that may happen is that if you leave some glass exposed when you put rock on it, the coraline will grow on it and it will look like a solid purple shelf. So the shelf will only be invisible for a short time. Then it will stand out like a sore thumb.

19. Holland1992

Holland1992 Registered

What do you think to gluing the glass then covering it in sand?

20. mgreenough

mgreenough Registered

It may look odd having sand floating, if it was me i would get a hacksaw out and cut thin slices of rock. Then use those to fill in the exposed spaces and scape so it looks natural.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice