1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Flame angel died suddenly

Discussion in 'Fish Health' started by Garywright, May 10, 2017.

1. Garywright

Garywright Registered

I came home from work today and looked in my tank. There on the bottom was my beautiful flame angel Dead, he was three years old and was feeding properly yesterday . There don't appear to be any marks on him . Has anyone ever had something like this happen with out an apparent cause.
    Water
    no3 2
    phosphates 0.2
    Temp 25
    No ammonia
    No nitrites .
    I did add 3 Scribbled Anthias 3 weeks ago but after the flame angel chasing them for a few days the tank seemed to have settled. I'm gutted but also a little worried.

GaryThanks

2. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

That's the worst News Any Reefer wants to hear, Sorry Gary :(
    I Have had a few fish Die without any explanation too! Maybe more info is needed here [MENTION=12846]FmJames[/MENTION] Might help here

3. cuprajake

cuprajake Registered

fingers crossed its nothing more sinister.

i think now a days we all worry when adding new livestock. then when something dies soon after we fear the worst.

4. CEECH

CEECH Registered

I had a flame angel was perfectly healthy gave him to my marine store for a tank 3 days later he was dead no reason at all. Eating like a pig the day before. I have had 3 dwarf angels die on me like that also

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

5. Scott

Scott Registered

I had a flame angel for 4 years.... huge and perfect example.... it died for no reason too.

6. Garywright

Garywright Registered

hmm a pattern here me thinks. I checked him over again and he is perfect . No fins ripped or damaged scales. This might go down as one of those unexplained deaths. I'm doing a Water change tomorrow so I'm going to do a full test on water quality.

Thanks for your replys

Gary

7. Garywright

Garywright Registered

Hi peeps. Just a bit of a heads up . If you read this post earlier in the week I lost my Flame angel now this morning I have lost one of my new Anthias.
    I have done a 20 percent water change a s I do every third week. All my water tests show nothing out of the ordinary and I then started to think what else might cause an in unexplained death. Now just to put a bit of background I am an electrician and have been for 30 years so I thought what if one of my bits of equipment is a bit iffy. So I got my test equipment out and did a bit of measuring back to the main incoming earth. I measured nearly 40 volts ac on my test meter. I have just isolated each bit of equipment one by one and it turns out one of my UVs was the cause. I have turned it off for now until I have some time to strip it and check it out. Now my tank is protected by RCBO at the distribution board but the leakage must have been so low as not to trip it ( 30 ma RCBO).
    I hope a bit of faulty equipment has not caused me to loose two fish.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  8. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

It can happen Gary :( if your water parems are ok. leave well enough alone It could have been uv problem. but really doubt it.
    Still a Mystery why healthy fish die. it happens to us all :(

9. les

les Registered

Firstly, there is always a reason a fish dies. Secondly, fish like humans die all the time for one reason or another, both can be fine one minute and dead the next sh*t happens in the fish world as well as the human world, it's a fact. There are only a handful or treatments we can use when a fish gets sick and of course none at all when they peg out. This is the nature of the beast. Like most people I have had fish die for a reason I know not what, however, with most it is just a case of a disappearance with no body found. We have to accept when there is no visible cause of a death it is often just one of those things and probaly not preventable. However, many fish are still being caught using drugs which can take up to 6 months to kill a fish whith the fish showing no signs off illness beforehand. A fish had for 3 years is obvioulsy not going to die from being drug caught but is likely to be just one of those things like a major organ failure of some sort.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice