1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Fish tank babysitters

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by TeenyBeeny, Sep 29, 2011.

1. TeenyBeeny

TeenyBeeny Registered

Hi All
    Stupid question , but does everybody have a baby sitter for their tank when they go away ?
    I have been reading loadsa stuff on here and get the idea of auto top up and auto feeders etc but can you actually go away for a fortnight and not worry about your tank ?

Tony

2. peerless

peerless Registered

Simple answer NO, does not matter if you have it automated or being looked after by a "baby sitter" you will still worry, although personally I would prefer a babysitter if away for 2 weeks.

3. percula24

percula24 Registered

when i went away on automated feeding etc its all i thought about what if heater fails or filter or auto feeder battery not working even though it was new i would rather get a baby sitter and will be doing next time

4. tonybax

tonybax Registered

Just arriving back after 2 weeks holiday. Had a tank sitter but also had auto top up and automatic water change set up so that they did not have to do anything but feed and keep a watch on things like power cuts etc.

5. chippy

chippy Registered

i hate leaving mine for a weekend

6. TeenyBeeny

TeenyBeeny Registered

Hmmmm !
    Could see a business opportunity here !
    Do LFS , aquariums not offer a service ?

Tony

7. jay643

jay643 Registered

what about asking any people on here in your area if they could sit whilst you are away , maybe you could return the favour when they go away?

8. TeenyBeeny

TeenyBeeny Registered

Yep you are right !
    No plans to go away till next year and hopefully will know a few more people on here to ask.
    We have had quite a few power cuts this year (the effects of which I sorted when I came home from work)
    Which got me thinking !
    It's not just a feeding issue or auto this that and the other.

Tony

9. killi

killi Moderator & Jedi Master

+1 on above

10. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

we would offer it but not travelling up to rochdale lol

I have in the past done phone support for a newbie non fishkeeping friend whilst he was looking after a tank

11. Realist

Realist Registered

I'm lucky. I have Rob although growth seems to slow a little while I'm away or is that Robs clippers ?

12. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Get a neighbour to look after it & have 1 or 2 phone a friends. My tank is as automated as poss apart from feeding, i put a daily amount of food in each 35MM camera film pot & too up my ro reservoir. Any probs they they phone a friend
    Dave

sent from Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

13. jennybugs

jennybugs Registered

Hmmmm...maybe we could start up a section on here of people willing to help out with tank sitting for fellow TSB"ers? :-d

14. scarytoastmonster

scarytoastmonster Registered

I recently went to Kenya for 2 weeks to get married, all I could think about everyday was hope my tanks OK. I got my best friend who I know would do everything I asked to the letter to do the "chores" everyday. I had him round mine for a full 3 hours drumming into him all the procedures and what to do in an emergency. Then I also printed off a step by step guide of everything, which I spent 3 weeks creating to ensure everything was covered, and stuck it to the tank stand.

When I returned my fish, corals and general tank was perfect, except hr hadn't cleaned the glass to my standard. Was such a relief!!

I recommend enlisting someone you know you can trust who will do everything you say to the letter, then you can try n enjoy your time away :)

15. Hazey

Hazey Registered

I agree Jen

sent from Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

16. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

I tried to set up a business along these lines a couple of years ago.

It didn't get off the ground due to a number of things:

Trust issues (you basically give the keys to your house to a stranger)

Cost.....we are in a recession and people don't have as much money available.

Due to the recession people aren't taking as much holidays.

People would rather let there uninformed neighbour look after their tank because it will only cost them a bottle of wine.......until it all goes wrong.

17. iand

iand Registered

could you not trust a mate i did give my mate a crash course in marine fish (feeding water changing filters) about 3 weeks before we went a way for 2 weeks come back every thing was fine just a little over feed but nothing a big water change could not sort out

18. Sip

Sip Registered

Agreed bud, For me it would deffo be a trust issue.. If somit went missing from your home and it was a genuine loss, most people would blame the stranger whos been checking on the tank. Regardless of proof... Saying that if you had started the business or are thinking about it, It may be worth doing on a supervised kind of set up. Say for example im going away for 2 weeks i get a close friend or a trusted neighbour to open up for you and wait with ya while you do what needs done untill we had a relationship where i felt i could trust you... Would this set up offend or would you understand where i was coming from and take the job on?? If you would be ok with that i would deffo be interestedBig Thumbs Up... No one wants to come home early and find there tank cleaner standing in there wifes stockings and suspenders with (I want to break free) blasting out the stereo:eek:

19. TeenyBeeny

TeenyBeeny Registered

Hey folks
    Was joking about "business opportunity"
    I am lucky cos my tanks are in the garage and could move my camera and studio gear out and hand my keys over to a babysitter !!
    Guess I am also lucky cos I have 2 kids who could move in while I would be away !!
    Son is 22 ---- and never sleeps in the same bed more than twice in a week
    Very reliable and dependable ; but normally goes to the pub straight after work.
    Daughter is 19 and at Birmingham uni.
    Extremely intelligent , but still hasn't realised there are 2 9 o'clocks in one day !
    Between them , they would do a good job, but would expect somebody sleeping in my tank when I got home !!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice