1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

First Question Thread, Please Be Kind.....

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Designer Vision and Sound, Dec 4, 2017 at 3:44 PM.

1. Designer Vision and Sound

Designer Vision and Sound Registered

Hi,

Just getting back into Marine keeping, had a tank 25 yrs ago ish......

Tank being made at the moment 415 ltrs and have two canister filters with UV, 450 ltr capacity and 250 ltr capacity and apart from that I need to purchase the rest.

1. starting with the canister filters, I have been advised to remove the blue sponges and replace with crushed live rock, thoughts please?

2. Protein skimmer, should I or shouldn't I? one shop saying I should, other saying not needed..... will be keeping just fish to start but may get some coral once I'm 100% the fish are loving it and all is stable.

3. A wave making pump, should I get with just fish?

4. using a Juwel rio 400 lid as this fits tank, but want to change the old fluorescent tube module for an LED one, has anybody done this with a iquatics Aqualumi system?

I think thats it for now, however if you stumble on this and think he needs some more info, please throw your wisdom my way, it will be much appreciated [​IMG]

Thanks,

Peter

2. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Registered

Peter welcome back to the hobby, there are many conflicting and different opinions in this hobby and what works for 1 tank doesn't always work for the next. Ill try and answer your questions but again my answers are from my experiences and my opinion.
    1. I would remove the sponges and add siporax to your canisters as it is far more beneficial for nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria colonisation.
    2. A protein skimmer is essential for the export of N03 and P04 plus other waste products
    3. A wave maker is needed to create a flow in your tank which will help with the Ph and prevent any dead spots in your system that could cause a build of nutrients which in turn would be problematic in your system maybe even cause a tank crash
    4. I run LED lights (EcoTech Radion) and love the light. I have not used the lights you said but Im sure the lads at IQuatics will be more than happy to help.

3. Designer Vision and Sound

Hi Mr Dave,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment, was beginning to think my questions were so stupid I wasn't getting an answer!

your points make perfect sense and I will have a look at the LED's you are using.

Thanks again,

Peter

4. Jagger

Jagger Registered

Hi Peter,

Don't no if it's too late but could you add a sump instead of the canister filter mush better in the long run also it hides all your equipment ect and I know you will regret it.

Also agree with Dave on most of the topics but in my filter or sump I have only added filter floss,carbon and rowaphos and it's done a great job.

As for the LED you have,sorry I don't no anything about them but I have just order a Mars Aqua 165w version anyone is using in the USA and some in the uk,also I have done lots of research on them and the Par on them is level comparisonas with the other led on the market like the radion ect but loads cheaper.

I paid £72 for the 165w version Bargain if you ask me!!!!

Also welcome to salty box.

5. Designer Vision and Sound

Hi Jagger,

Many thanks for your points.

Beginning to regret not going with a sump but yes too late now! will look into what you have used.

I will also have a look at the LED's you have mentioned.

On another point, protein skimmer, the tank is about 420 ltrs, is it better to run may over capacity, for instance buy a unit that can run up to 1000 ltrs, or is there no benefit and do I just go with a 400-500 ltr capacity?

once again, many thanks

6. Jagger

Jagger Registered

Well the canister filter will still do a great job not doubt about it but a sump is better.

As for the led unit (Mars Aqua)that I will be using I will keep you informed on my new thread that I will be sarting up very soon.

As for the skimmer I usually go for rate double at the most of your tank volume and no more because If it's too big it might not be as effective. There may not be enough DOCs in the water to build enough foam up in the skimmer to push it all out, so it could be hard to adjust, and may not be able to pull everything out a smaller sized body skimmer could do.

Kind Regards

7. trumpet30

trumpet30 Registered

I know the light unit you mean. I changed the standard tubes on my Juwel lido and installed the Arcadia LED tubes that fit Juwel units. If you buy the iquatics unit you can buy two LED Arcadia blue moons and two LED Arcadia marine white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk