• Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

First ever marine tank from the start - 72 x 24 x 30

Vyncenze

Registered
16213961181_bb8211c64a_b.jpg

So tank has been full for a couple of weeks. I added 10 kg of live rock rubble to the sump and left it over Christmas (been about two weeks). Got my Salifert test kits yesterday and current readings are:

Salinity 1.026
pH 8.1
kH 7.7
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

and so it begins!

Vyncenze

Registered
So this weekend I finally added the lights (2 IT2080 Pros), re-jigged the plumbing, and turned on the skimmer. And here it is:

16261747466_43f8dd1068_b.jpg

16261746616_5258b18061_b.jpg

Not the finest photos in the world but you get the idea. No algae in the main tank yet because it wasn't lit until yesterday, but the sump is full of diatoms.

Vyncenze

Registered
Well I think it's cycled, certainly no ammonia or nitrite there. I was planning to order a few snails to get me started next week and build slowly from there.

Vyncenze

Registered
Can anyone explain why my kH seems so low? The salt says it should be about 10.5 but I'm getting a reading of 7.7. Bearing in mind there's no corals or fish, or much in the way of life in the tank at all yet, what's using up the kH?

Should I adjust it manually with bicarbonate?