1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Film on top of water

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Alex433, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Alex433

Alex433 Registered

When I first setup my tank I used to get a sort of film on my water and then when I increased the water flow and changed the positioning of the power heads. Anyway two days ago I had to lower my weir (it's a hang on the back one in the rsm) because their was a problem with the skimmer and level of water in the weir and since doing this the film on the top of the water has returned, could this have anything to do with it. And by the I haven't changed the amount of water flow or position of power heads.

2. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

Its very hard to say without seeing it. Normally a film on the surface are due to lack of flow breaking the surface, or a flow that is pushing water to a corner or one side of the tank away fro, the weir or overflow.

3. Darren@BigBlue

[email protected] Registered

Is it not the case that your overflow was skimming the surface film off and now, in its lower position, it's no longer doing so?

4. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

As above really , for me I get a film when my phos levels increase , as my circulation does t direct everything down the weir (helps at feeding time )

So when I then bring my levels back down it goes again ..

Check flow and nutrient levels and go from there

5. msmcfc

msmcfc Registered

I have the same problem but my setup is only 2 weeks old, I just put it down to the system being new.
    I will watch this thread as it may help me in the future

6. Alex433

Alex433 Registered

Yes i have found out that the reason that the surface of the water had a film is because when the weir/overflow is in a higher position it skims the surface but i have to lower the weir as if I don't there isn't enough water in the skimmer to bubble over into my collection cup, what should I do? Also [MENTION=21537]msmcfc[/MENTION] do you have any power heads and a good flow?

7. msmcfc

msmcfc Registered

I've only had the tank two weeks so I'm still fine tuning things.

I have the standard power head that is with the tank in the right hand corner pointing towards the overflow in the left corner with a slight angle upwards to create a ripple on the surface.

The return pump also creates some surface movement , so as far as I can see the flow is good

I did have my skimmer in the second section of the sump (M90 has 4) with filter floss in the first, but I have now moved it to the first section as per fluval recommendations and removed the floss

it is possible that mine is a residue from the coral sand or maybe something that was on the inside of the tank from manufacture

will just have to wait and see

8. snelly1969

snelly1969 Registered

I had this problem in a cube tank I got a eheim 350 surface skimmer never looked back

9. Alex433

Alex433 Registered

Might look into getting one.

10. snelly1969

snelly1969 Registered

they are about twenty to twenty five quid at the abyss

11. msmcfc

msmcfc Registered

Looks a nice bit of kit, but I'm going to give mine a bit of time and see if clears up.
    does anyone have an idea of what would cause a small slick in a new tank?

would like to stop it at source if possible

12. B1zbaz

B1zbaz Registered

I used to have a film on the surface of my tank but never get it since adding a sump

13. B1zbaz

B1zbaz Registered

Was also told they are trapped proteins from surface tension

14. JonnyH

JonnyH Registered

Alex has a red sea max 130 so no where for a surface skimmer. Suggest a tunze 9002 skimmer, media rack with floss carbon and po4 media.

15. B1zbaz

B1zbaz Registered

Just point a powerhead at the surface it will never be seen again

16. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

If you think the slim is due to them height of the weir, but you can't adjust the height of the wier because of the skimmer, can you not adjust the height or flow of the skimmer. Most skimmers have an adjustable part to set the l3vel if the water, or if not just raise the whole skimmer up a bit?

17. msmcfc

msmcfc Registered

I think the problem is that there is no draw of water into the rear sump, if there was I'm sure the skimmer would deal with it.
    the slick seem to congregate around the weir into the sump.

18. codster

codster Registered

your weir isnt skimming the surface. scum from fish waste protins and dust all settle on the surface so put your weir back to were it was and adjust the height of your skimmer to the manufactors recommended working height and all should be ok with a little surface movment.dont waste ur money or time on those surface skimmers from abyss like i did they look unsightly in the display and your for ever cleaning the small sponge

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice