1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Elkaa's 2x2x2 Rescape on some random page!

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Elkaa, Aug 22, 2012.

1. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

Somethings obviously still not right then dude. Wonder whats doing it. Losing lps like that over night very strange.

Off down to cockfields again today dude. Going to cash in my winnings! Treat myself to some sps

2. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Yea I know the problem now mate.. The mrs used deodorant next to the tank.. Women :(

Well the bonus is the rest looks healthy in holding downstairs so!

3. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

House move done and strangely.. It went ok (apart from my landlord being a dick about things in the end)

Attached Files:

4. StarfishEnterprise

very good pal. Glad it went well, can be a real nightmare and very stressful.

Landlords can be like that and many dont like parting with the deposit.

5. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

That's not the issue pal, I agreed to hand the keys back at 5pm today as I was going to do those odd jobs over there today.

Been pestering me since 5pm Friday for the keys as he's showing someone around this morning..

6. StarfishEnterprise

Tell him its tough chedder then Hysterical

7. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Small update ;)

Attached Files:

8. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

So been a while since any update!

I have been keeping on top of water changes etc but been stupidly busy with work so not to much time for the tank however!

With the Nem/Torch/Duncans/Favia all showing growth signs I suspected most things were well with the tank! however over the last few weeks I've noticed my zoas basically close up again and slowly.. disappear! what was around 25 heads now at best is around 10? and noticed now those heads arent really opening anymore either!

I've tried more flow / less light
    More light more flow
    less flow more light etc etc and nothings really helped! so I've come to the conclusion that with the last round of tests.. nitrate and phos read 0 so wondering if its worth grabbing a high resolution kit to check?
    [MENTION=18127]StarfishEnterprise[/MENTION] I am really shocked.. that pink tipped torch I thought was deffo gone has bounced back so well with those 2 remaining heads!

9. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Couple of quick snaps anyway

Hoping to get to Cockfields to spend a little bit of money this weekend!

Attached Files:

10. StarfishEnterprise

Tanks looking crisp though pal.

Have you got zoa munching nudis?

Whats happening to the corals? Receding? If you have a 0 po4 & no3 that wont imo be the cause for killing coral

11. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Just the zoas pal literally fine for a couple of weeks then slowly stop opening and then they just seem to shrink on the rock!

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong with them?

Tend to get them drip them for about 40mins then settle them on the sandbed for abit slowly move them off the sand to a low area of rock and then all is fine for a week or 2.. Then the same cycle they close / shrink on size until there's nothing left

12. StarfishEnterprise

Sounds like zoa eating nudis mate. Try an ro bath and see what comes off or use some coral rx/coral detox or similar.

13. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Oops forgot to say this last lot have been dipped a couple of times in dettol

1litre tank water and 0.3ml of dettol as per a zoa forum! Worth popping them in the sump in future for a few days after the dip then dip again before going in the tank?

14. StarfishEnterprise

Id dip the ones that dont look so good and if there does turn out to be something there dip all the others?

Not sure with zoas as im not a big fan an just have a few pieces. Found they will do pretty well under almost any condition.

15. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

I'll sort another dip out when I do a water change this weekend!

Like anything I guess I just expected them to thrive much like the LPS seem to be doing again!

16. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

So
    Skimmers deffo working..

And I finally got around to hooking up the second Mp10 I just miss a wireless module for the original one I bought and then I can run them properly - right now both are just set on reef crest around 40% it's a big increase in flow so I wonder how much will be upset by it!

Attached Files:

17. StarfishEnterprise

Did you go shopping?

18. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

I got a couple of needed bits and helped myself to another zoa frag to see how it goes.. If it lasts I'll head down the route of a full colony I think!

19. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

hmm snail mountain today

New purchase altho I am sure this will not clear my hair algae issue I introduced accidentally!

Attached Files:

20. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

[MENTION=18127]StarfishEnterprise[/MENTION] I am starting to get this feeling my zoa issue is down to a not so model citizen (I got another frag that basically was going the same way until I sumped it!) even tho it's down there without much light all the remaining heads have opened back up and I don't seem to have lost any further heads :(

Bye bye coral beauty?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice