1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Elkaa's 2x2x2 Rescape on some random page!

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Elkaa, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Soo been sitting back and thinking if [MENTION=17474][email protected][/MENTION] cant help with the clowns issue then I'll consider sucking up the loss and almost give them away to make room for another pair - this will also ease the pressure come move day in Feb

2. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

[MENTION=18127]StarfishEnterprise[/MENTION] torch you gave me mate

Attached Files:

3. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

So good news (as the clowns haven't sold yet) a certain localish shop is willing to take them in for a credit note when I've caught them thus in January they will be gone :(not sure if they'll hold the true perc and find me another to pair with it or not tho)

This means all that's left to catch is the coral beauty

4. B1zbaz

B1zbaz Registered

How do you tell the difference between true perc and commons there is a bloke near me with clowns in stock which he states are true Percs and they are £12.50 each

5. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Apart from the price in a shop? :lol: normally the black lines are far more pronounced to see :)

6. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Soo apart from a struggle to calibrate my refractometer (every time I use it :lol:) this morning I think it's pretty much bang on 35ppt

So first things first I try to use the refractometer at the sametime every day (about 9am as the heating will have the house around 19/20) yet when I use RO to check it's never stayed on 0 /"- where am I going wrong lol!

Second part [MENTION=18127]StarfishEnterprise[/MENTION] - the pink tip torch shows some extended polyps this morning!!! So excited :hysterical:

7. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

Sometimes its the simple things that bring back the enjoyment in this hobby after a rough patch!

My refractometer has atc I just leave it out at room temperature for 10 mins before testing. Iv calibrated once in last 8 months maybe. Using ro as per the instructions. But you can get calibration fluid iirc. Are yoh putting it on radiator to warm up or something?

8. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Stays in a cupboard in the living room mate so generally it's at the temp of the cupboard all the time (would it be worth putting it in the tank cabinet instead?)

9. StarfishEnterprise

Do you let it air though before using it? Does it come in a box/packet?

10. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Urm comes in a box mate - generally come down get out of the cupboard put on side make tea then come back to it ;)

11. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

So a few bits to update

1 x Zoa nudi dealt with (all my zoas dipped in dettol and all open again before lights out)

My favia this evening for the first time I've seen had its feeder tentacles out I guess I'm back on track for abit!

12. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Sooo new year an all! House move prep has started

Should know early next week when our completion date will be so I know when I'll get the keys, on the back of that I'll have a chat with Mark (Cockfields about dropping the clowns off at his)
    [MENTION=17474][email protected][/MENTION] I assume you didn't get a chance to speak with Ian? My plan anyhow is now to get a small true perc to pair with my current all going well :) so I'm on the look out for one

The 3ft tank I got from Liam is all but ready to go (this is going to have the rock/coral beauty and corals) for the few days it'll take to move and refill the display tank - decided I'll rinse the sand just because it's easier in the long run!

13. StarfishEnterprise

Good luck with the house move buddy. One of the most stressful things you will ever do.

Did you resolve the issue with the refractometer?

14. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Mate I'm not stressed "yet" :hysterical: but we dont have alot to move so thats an easy thing really

Not checked the levels since mate, everythings out so it cant be to far out right?! - in fairness I'll have a check Saturday morning when its waterchange time (should be around 20ish first thing in the living room with the heating on so!)

15. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Well moving date is now set as such - just keys to pick up in around 4 weeks time then move is almost ready to go ahead! [MENTION=18127]StarfishEnterprise[/MENTION] now I'm stressed!

Between the new sofa arriving and the bed and picking up the other bits I need (some can be got pre move day but!) bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

16. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

So I finally bit the bullet and got my water checked at my LFS

I never gave any indication that I thought my salt levels were wrong however he come back with 35, exactly what my refractometer was reading last night - thus I must be about close!

I guess the other part of the good news is the pink tip torch I thought was "gone" seems to be bouncing back now (pic to follow) shame as I'll be stripping it shortly to move houses :lol:

17. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Couple of snaps

Attached Files:

18. StarfishEnterprise

for some reason i thought you had emptied your tank already?

19. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Not yet pal, it'll be broken down and moved between the 30th and 6th (arranged with Danny to pickup the water on the 6th/7th) and we move on the 8th thus it'll all be in place and filled before we get there (and move the fish/corals on the 9th!)

20. Elkaa

Elkaa Registered

Stage one of house move prep
    [MENTION=18127]StarfishEnterprise[/MENTION] that torch frag from you that was growing well melted overnight on Thursday - pretty random event!

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice