1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Electricity in the water colum

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by heller792, Oct 16, 2013.

1. heller792

heller792 Registered

Hey up gents, Im baffled at the moment. Me and the wife can feel electricity in the water. Nothing to bad but its enough to give a shock. Ive disconnected all the electrics from inside the main tank and turned the sump off so i can see if its anything in the main tank. Even with everything off and all the probes out the water i can still feel it. Any idea what could be causing it.

Dave

2. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

have you got a cut on your finger as this can give the sensation of an electric shock

3. chippypah

chippypah Registered

As above, had it happen a few times even with a small cut.

4. tomtucker

tomtucker Registered

i have had this around my finger nails and its just the salt water, i to turned everything off and still felt it

5. Hazey

Hazey Registered

I had exact same thing last week Dave. I turned everything off including heaters & I could still feel an electric shock when I put my hand in my sump...I was stumped also.
    I guess I must of had a slight cut somewhere on my hand

6. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

all these years married Dave and you n the misses still have that spark between you. I thinks its lovely :thumbup1:

7. heller792

heller792 Registered

This is why im sooooooo looking forward to a night out with you, comical genius! !!!!!!!!!

8. heller792

heller792 Registered

it diea not matter whuch finger it is it still leads to a shock, thats why I used the wifed fingers lol

9. chippypah

chippypah Registered

Are you wearing nylon underware LOL

10. MartynIT

MartynIT Registered

switched off or unplugged?

11. reefloat

reefloat Registered

completely unplug your lights and see if its still there, would like to bet its not

12. MartynIT

MartynIT Registered

or another option. any leaked water, into floor boards and onto faulty cable under the floor. many many possibilities

13. peter

peter Registered

buy one off the mains tester screwdrivers from b q the clear one with the light in it and simply put the end off it into tank if there is any electric leakage it will light up

14. codster

codster Registered

I too had the same issues the fault was in the mains live and neutral wires were connected the wrong way around it took me awhile to find it as iv lived in the house for at least 10years and never messed with the sockets but the house was rewired before i bought it ...worrying

15. dragonet

dragonet Registered

Do u have bare feet? U can earth yourself if u hav lots of pumps etc running in sump, done it maself , feel electric threw me bare foot n put ma shoes on after bein told why n n it went

16. Giblet

Giblet Registered

Sorry this is so far down the line! Hope it's sorted now! It's almost certainly a faulty earth. If the earth is not functioning properly you will pick up stray currents in the tank. This happened to mine. We put one side of an electrical tester in the water and earthed the other to the radiator and there was an enormous current running through! I cured it by connecting an earth clamp to the copper pipe by the radiator and the current could no longer be felt. Obviously doesn't cure the actual leakage but most certainly will save your life!

17. algee

algee Registered

Put your shoes on and touch your tank water, if you still feel it then it's a cut if you don't you are leaking an earth

18. trevorshaw1972

trevorshaw1972 Registered

Check your heater

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice