1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Ecotech Fault, Already Killed One Colony

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Funkoid, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Funkoid

Funkoid Registered

Hi,

In the last two-three-four weeks I've noticed a serious degradation in a number of my corals, particularly on one side of the tank. I caught the Radion XR15w pro (gen 3) above that side of the tank being on at a low setting one morning, but thought it to be a small glitch and that i'd keep an eye on it. I've woken really early this morning and found that it appears to have been either stuck on at the end of the cycle, or its come on after the fact, I suspect the latter because I remember checking everything was off again last night.

I'm distraught as I've already lost a colony I've had for 9 years, and one of my favorite corals is really starting to suffer, not sure how much longer that can take it now either.

I've powered down just the light for the morning now, only thing I can think of doing is manually unplugging it before bed for a few days whilst I figure something out, but again that doesn't sort the problem out only masks it.

I've contacted ecotech support but aren't holding my breath for an quick solution :-(

In a bit of a panic at this stage having seen the state of my rainbow acan this morning.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

2. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

do you use a reeflink ?

3. Funkoid

Funkoid Registered

I do indeed, or at least try to. Annoyingly it doesn't hold a connection (e.g. stay blue) for long when powered from the mains. When it's plugged into a machine via USB it'll stay connected but I assume that's because it's bridged.

4. jim_fitz

I find that I regularly have to connect mine to a laptop and do a factory reset & firmware update

This Normally cures my my problems

5. Funkoid

Funkoid Registered

Factory reset it is then, it's annoying that they charge what they do for the reeflink but reading around it seldom stays connected without that usb cable!

Factory reset was my next step so relieved you've said that.

When you do a reset do you do just each component or do you start from scratch with a new aquarium etc.

6. jim_fitz

Disconnect power from your reeflink and connect directly to the laptop

You will need a usb to usb cable

I had everything but

You can then update just the reeflink

That seems to be enough for me

I have just added an additional light but couldn’t get it to accept a program
    Even if connected to it directly

7. Funkoid

Funkoid Registered

Well go say ecotech have been unhelpful is an understatement.

I did what you suggested and all seemed well, but things have continued to get worse. I've been periodically checking them at night whenever I wake up (not particularly healthy habit to bit in!) and tonight I've found both with either just UV or Blue on at full pelt at 3 in the morning.

What's not clear is whether that's happened at the end of the schedule, or whether they've come back on.

I've got a wireless webcam to view the tank remotely, starting to wonder whether it's something to do with that but I've had one there for years albeit a different brand.

Think I'm going to move it to a different location in the room, then whack and SD card in so I can speed watch what's going on over the course of the day and night.

I'm distraught though as I'm starting to lose my favourite corals, a lot of time effort and money has gone into it and to have this happen is killing me :-(

8. jim_fitz

yeah there customer care isnt great

have you tried Xodis ? the uk supplier

might have a bit more joy there

9. Funkoid

Funkoid Registered

Next on my list today, just got given a mobile number and nothing else which again, didn't feel particularly professional :(

10. jim_fitz

I think it’s a small company
    Used to work for itc I think

If it is him. He’s very helpful

Funkoid likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice