1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Durky's Vision 260 - Black is back!

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Realist, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Realist

Realist Registered

Sure I can put some pics up of the algae, but tbh a FTS won't show it as its only in patches ATM but I'm expecting an outbreak.

Mag is now up to 1220, but I'm going to have to revert to a cheaper buffer to get it to around 1400 then continue with the M-Tech to raise it higher.

Phone pics

2. heller792

heller792 Registered

speak to nev about the mag pal, he uses epson salts and something else and it works a treat.

dave

3. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Option b. Raise Mag. Be there for your wife, and be careful of your stock.

4. Realist

Realist Registered

Yeh I txt rob and he said epson salt. Thing is you have to use the Kent M-Tech mag to kill it, something in there that effects the growth and kills it off.

5. Mayo

Mayo Registered

What's the cause of it?

6. Realist

Realist Registered

Nowt causes it pal other than it getting into your tank via live rock or even a tiny amount on a frag. It is the root of all evil mate, remove it by hand and the tinniest little bit will latch onto another area and grow, even scrubbing the rock does not remove it. My po4 and no3 are near zero but it needs next to nothing on the way of nutrients or light to survive.

Thee seems to be more and more tanks of late having issues with this algae and no-one knows why. 12 months ago I had never even heard of it, now I could tell you anything you want to know lol

7. Mayo

Mayo Registered

I'd never heard of it.
    If left would it take over your tank?
    Don't any of your fish or inverts graze on it?

8. Realist

Realist Registered

I have no doubt it will take over the tank if left pal. If you google it you will see what it is. It's like a small fern that roots into about anything it latches onto. From all the threads on reef central it's the worst possible algae to have in your system and the biggest thing is that no fish or CUC touch it apart from lettuce slugs that last about 3 days in a reef tank and cost a fortune if you can find somewhere to buy them.

I have been battening with it for 8 months now and it's winning

9. Mayo

Mayo Registered

Just searched it and found that a Sea Lettuce Slug will eat it.
    (It is possible that nutrients are taken up by the holdfast of this algae so blowing detritus from the rock it is on may help to keep it under control)

10. Realist

Realist Registered

Yeh I'm going to get the turkey baster in there tomorrow on the rock work but tbh I have areas that are hit directly by a tunze 6025 and it grows there as well lol

11. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Good luck with it Chris.......I really hope elevating the Mag will kill it off for you.

I have algae.

One idea, any thoughts about changing you lights to 20K ones.......it's just that since I've been using higher "K" LED's I have almost no algae growth.

12. Realist

Realist Registered

Cheers Roger :)

Thing is with this algae it requires no light at all to grow. Several people have blacked out their tanks for 4 weeks in total darkness before removing their corals and still it survives. It will grow in low light and zero nutrient systems and with an algae like that no wonder it's such a pain to remove.

13. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Mmmm, I didn't think it was quite so resilient.....I was hoping a 2 pronged attack (High Mag and the "wrong" lighting for algae) might have worked better than just raising the Mag.

Is raising the Mag the only thing that kills it?

14. Realist

Realist Registered

Pretty much mate. Kent Marine M-Tech seems the way forward and what most on RC seem to have reported kills it. I have done the manual removal thing as well and the more I remove it and it looks like its gone, 3-4 weeks later up in springs but in different places.

I'm afraid there is no wrong or right lighting for this stuff.

15. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Is Kent Marine M-Tech just a means to raise the Mag to very high levels, or does it contain something else that kills it?

16. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Are you running Carbon Chris?

17. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

I guess you have already read this:

"A while back I posted on a method for bryopsis algae control, that involved using Kent Marine’s product Kent Tech-M. And in that post, I also told you that one of the exhibits in my care was a 900-gallon reef tank with a persistent bryopsis algae problem, and that I was about to use this method to eradicate the bryopsis algae from my tank.
    And . . .
    Drum roll please. . . . . . . . .
    It worked!
    Yes, it worked quite well. Before treating the tank with the magnesium supplement (Kent Tech-M), we did the following important steps to prepare:
    PREPARATION STEPS
    Step 1: performed two 35% water changes to help up the magnesium level to the normal 1,300ppm and to lower the phosphate level;
    Step 2: Manually plucked/removed as much bryopsis as possible while the water level was down (during the water change). We did this during both water changes over a period of one week.
    Step 3: stormed the tank with a powerhead on a stick to help get as much detritus out of the tank as possible. We have 4 filter socks in the sump that catch it quite efficiently;
    Step 4: Replaced the Rowaphos media (a.k.a. ferric oxide) in our chemical filter (Precision Marine SR55P Professional Series Substrate Reactor), which helps to insult and stress out the bryopsis algae.
    Step 5: Began dosing kalkwasser (saturated solution of calcium hydroxide and R.O. water), which precipitates out phosphates so that the protein skimmer can remove them. It also elevates the pH to 8.3-8.5, which helps inhibit the growth of unwanted algae such as bryopsis and hair algae. And kalkwasser also helps to elevate alkalinity, which also helps inhibit unwanted algae.

Step 6: Turned off the activated carbon filter. This is just a hunch, but since the active ingredient in Kent Marine’s Tech-M magnesium supplement is not known (that which eradicates the bryopsis), I certainly didn’t want the activated carbon to remove it. Originally, people felt it was the elevated magnesium level that was doing the work, but after multiple methods of raising the magnesium level produced inconsistent results, it was concluded that Kent Marine’s Tech-M product worked the best because of some mystery active ingredient.

Now that the preparation steps were completed we were ready to begin dosing the Kent Tech-M (magnesium supplement). The main instructions are to make sure that you do not raise the magnesium level by more than 100ppm per day.
    So I went ahead with dosing the tank to raise the magnesium level by 100ppm per day until the magnesium level was between 1600-1800ppm, and in one week the bryopsis dropped to less than 50% of what it was before dosing. And by two weeks, 99% of the bryopsis was gone from the display tank. I was quite pleasantly surprised.
    Overall it took 2 weeks and the Bryopsis is now gone. It is my feeling that the aggressive manual plucking/removal was a critical step to insulting/stressing the bryopsis. And remember we did this just prior to changing out the Rowaphos media (lowered phosphates to zero) and the subsequent dosing of the magnesium supplement.
    We will see what time will tell. I have heard of the bryopsis coming back after a successful treatment, so the constant vigilence will continue – as it always does with a truly successful saltwater aquarium."

18. Realist

Realist Registered

Salt Water Aquarium Secrets - read this and several threads on Reef Sanctuary, Reef Central and about as much reading as I can do.

Carbon has been out since the start of treatment ;-) And po4 is zero and nitrate 3ppm. 100 micron filter sock always on.

19. Mayo

Mayo Registered

Everything Iv read always leads to raising the mag! Seems to be the only true way to rid your tank of it. Good luck with it.

Daft question but.. Are you turning all your power heads and filters off when your removing it?
    Some people put a fine net over the clump they are removing to catch any stray bits.

20. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Let me know when you've finished with the contispation salts and the tech m. I reckon mines probably come from one of your frags so on that note you owe me :D

Hows it going? You still at the buffering up slowly point?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice