1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Duncan coral in trouble

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by fishymummy, Feb 25, 2011.

1. fishymummy

fishymummy Registered

One of my duncans has begun to stay in it's skeleton. It's got 6 heads and 3 now are really sunken while the other 3 aren't looking too good either. My other 2 headed one seems fine. I have recently moved them both as they were in a bit too much flow but the one head had already started to look sad. The only thing I have changed recently is adding carbon. All my other corals and fish are fine. I only have T8's but there are 8 altogether and the corals are about halfway down in medium flow.
    The last water test was ok apart from calcium and mag being a bit high but it's always like it.
    Has anyone any thoughts as to why the Duncan is like this? Could it be because of the carbon?
    It really did well for the 1st 2 months in my tank so I'm baffled.

2. anguilla82

anguilla82 Registered

are you target feeding it at all, as i've found that duncans do best when target fed a few times per week?

3. MinerWilly

MinerWilly Registered

I have one that sulks on a regular basis, more than the other tWo I have. Give it time and it'll come back out to play imo.

4. fishymummy

fishymummy Registered

I target feed it 2 or 3 times a week with mysis, prawn or whatever else frozen I give the fish. 4 of the heads had some food last night but the other 2 weren't interested.

5. karnivor

karnivor Registered

It could indeed be as a result of carbon, it depends on what your tank was like before you added it.

carbon will make your water much clearer, provided it was yellow to start with, and the extra light may just have shocked the coral slightly. If this is the case, it will poke its nose out again in a day or two.

Ive also experienced the same thing when changing bulbs.

6. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

duncans dont like alot of light so the above could be the reason if you say that your water parameters are good theres little else except perhaps damage to soft tissue if a fish is nipping it maybe

7. fishymummy

fishymummy Registered

They are in the same position as they were before just another part of the tank. The water was clear before the carbon, I added it after reading on here that carbon is a must for reef tanks as it purifys the water and stops some corals being effected by mushsies.
    Last night I noticed a brown mucus type thing around 3 heads on the duncan so I blasted it with the turkey baster and it all dispersed leaving a totally white skeleton.
    This morning 1 of the remaining heads is out, 1 is semi emerged and the last is trying to emerge.. My other duncan is fine.

8. MinerWilly

MinerWilly Registered

Google for "brown jelly disease" and have a look at some of the piccies to see if it's that, you do sometimes get some brown stuff being expelled which is not a worry but if it's the jelly disease I think you need to take action.

9. heller792

heller792 Registered

keep a check on alk swings, duncans dont like it

10. fishymummy

fishymummy Registered

MinerWilly... Thanks that looks like the stuff. It was like that on the 1 head 1st of all. Luckily I only have 4 more LPS in the tank and the rest are softies which are not mentioned in an article I have just read. It says almost always LPS but SPS can get it too. I have just syphoned a bit off and will keep checking now I know what I'm dealing with. I am just about to do a water test so will see if that brings up high nitrates or phosphates.

11. marcus watts

marcus watts Registered

I have two duncans only 10-11"" down, below two 400w halides and they absolutely love it - when bought they had 60 & 65 heads - now they are way over 100 heads each - some heads on the edges now have 5 budding new heads around them. They are thriving in a zone of my tank right in with the sps, even higher up than several sps corals

It is a coral that likes stability, doesnt like being moved around, and once settled can take lots of light and flow - they really relax and 'flow' beautifully. Food is essential - nothing too big though - mysis & small krill. Mine have sulked in the past when phos levels creep up, and say a big thankyou when a new canister of RowaPhos is put on. you can see the tentacles getting shorter and 'stubby' as the water params start slipping.

Damage to the skin covering the outer skeleton is not good - they will sulk big time until it heals. I had to trim out some heads that had 50% or more outer skin damage a few months ago, after moving tanks.

marcus

12. fishymummy

fishymummy Registered

I think I will cut off the white 3 heads and see how the other 3 do. It has got shorter tentacles than the other one. Have rowaPhos in my filter and levels have been zero on previous tests. It's not been in that long and no phos before it went in either. Will test later and maybe do a water change too

13. fishymummy

fishymummy Registered

Tested the water yesterday and phos was 1 I think (hard to tell on api kit) and nitrates between 5 & 10. I did a water change and put in some fluval clearmax as I havnt any more rowaphos. This morning the water is very clear but the duncan looks dead and had some more brown slime on it. I got my hammer out and knocked if off its rock. Its now in my nano (which hasnt any corals in) just in case it pulls through. My remaining duncan has much longer tentacles so obviously the rowaphos had lost its power. Shame about the dead duncan but at least I know what to look out for in future. Thanks for all the advice.

14. Javahart

Javahart Registered

Brown jelly is a bacterial infection and will quickly envelop and kill an lps colony. It is possible to save the coral;

1) quickly remove the infected area (heads in this case) and dip in a weak iodine solution ( 10 drops per litre) which should kill off any remaining bacteria.
    This has worked for me in the past.

2) when you cant remove coral - keep siphoning off the infected area and all the heads will probably die. However, when the infection has run its course, its possible new heads will appear from the skeleton. this happened to one of my hammer colonies.

15. fishymummy

fishymummy Registered

Thanks for the advice Java but I havnt any iodine. I have blasted the jelly off again and will just have to see how it goes. Luckily it only had 6 heads rather than a large colony. Luckily my other one is looking really healthy since I put the clearmax in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice