1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured DougandAmandas eareef1500s

Discussion in 'Large Tanks (101gal+)' started by doug_amanda, Jul 29, 2017.

1. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

I've been meaning to start a tank thread since the birth of this tank in January,

I initially took a trip out to Burscough with the plan of ordering one of the red sea reefer tanks as a replacement for my old and tired 4 foot tank, whilst there I noticed an eareef tank Steve had on display so with many ££ spent we went away to await delivery of our new eaReefPro1500s, and a few other goodies.
    The original plan was to put it in the dining room but Amanda decided it would be best in the living room where we could always see it, and what Amanda wants, Amanda gets,, (you all know how it is) problem was there wasn't a suitable spot in the living room to put it. ''You'll sort it'' she said, you bet I will I thought so took a week off work and while she was out demolished the wall between the living room and spare bedroom (Bungalow) and built a new stud wall further back and managed to get it plastered and the wall where the new tank was going decorated just in time for the delivery.

Tank brought in by Steve and his lad,, no way I could have done it on my own.

IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg

a few goodies he brought with him

IMG_0190.jpg

All the house bashing was put on hold while the tank was cycled using ATM colony and some live rock I had maturing in a spare tank in the now smaller spare bedroom, I think it was only a week later and I swapped all the fish and corals over to the new tank and with much effort dragged the old tank outside and demolished the rest of the living room wall.

IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg

Old tank sent to a wintery grave.

IMG_0208.jpg

Now to remove the rest of the wall,a bit if protection needed for the new tank.

IMG_0210.jpg

Wall Gone, a good job even if I say so myself, Cant say the same for the dog, he looks fed up.

IMG_0211.jpg

full tank shot as it was at the beginning of march

IMG_1086.jpg

Around mid March we introduced a small Kole tang, unfortunately that brought with it a parasite, possibly Ich or maybe velvet, either way by the time we spotted it, it was too late, in the space of two days we lost 6 green chromis, coral beauty, the kole tang, a Royal grammar, both clowns and a little rock damsel which was the first fish we ever bought nearly 7 years ago and a jewel tang. the only fish left was a regal tang, cleaner wrasse and a file fish
    for two months we added no more fish and just kept an eye on three we had left.
    Since then we have slowly started to add some fish back. we now have the Regal Tang, Kole Tang, another nice big Jewel Tang, cleaner wrasse, File fish, Hawk fish, Coral Beauty, and a pair of clown fish.

Equipment, Tank.
    The tank is lit by 3 Kessil A360s and the kessil controller
    Maxpect gyre XF150 with smart controller,

Sump
    Jecod 8000 return pump,
    two Schego 300w titanium heaters and a simplyaquaria controller and for added piece of mind a STC100 sat on the mantelpiece with the probe in the tank so I can see the temperature at a glance.
    Deltec SC1456 skimmer,
    D-D H20 reactor running roaphos
    Reefloat ATU,
    there's also a float switch on the top up section of the sump piped directly from the RO filter in the Kitchen so it can be topped up nice and easily,
    Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump dosing for calcium, alkalinity and nopox, magnesium is dosed through the ATU as and when needed.

Some random pics as of today.

The view from my chair.
    IMG_0230.jpg

my one and only SPS frag.
    IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg IMG_1137.jpg IMG_1140.jpg IMG_1145.jpg IMG_1146.jpg IMG_1147.jpg IMG_1148.jpg IMG_1150.jpg IMG_1153.jpg IMG_1155.jpg IMG_1161.jpg IMG_1171.jpg

If someone could put all the pictures the right way up it would be much appreciated,, Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Don't know how you would do it your end. but I can fix and send you them by email

3. doug_amanda

Cheers Phil thanks for the offer I'm going to have another go later today, been reading on google and it seems a common problem, iPhones and windows not talking to each other, if I'm still struggling I'll give you a shout,

Thanks.

4. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

I Have put them on your other thread 'help'

5. doug_amanda

Ta Da!!! pictures sorted :clap:

6. Realist

Realist Registered

Very nice tank indeed.

7. doug_amanda

Full tank shot as of today

IMG_1172.jpg

and one from the end.

IMG_1173.jpg

inside the cabinet.

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

8. ChrisA

ChrisA Registered

Would you look at those softies they're huge! what sort of a schedule did you go with for the kessils?

9. Grannycarolann

Grannycarolann Registered

Nice fish nice Tank

10. doug_amanda

Lights come on at 8:30am at 5% and at 9:30 slowly ramp up to 75% at 1.00pm then back down gradually to 5% at 8:30pm and go off at 10:30.
    Lol, yes there's some big ones, the leather on the right came as a freebee on a bit of live rock 6 years ago, it Was about the size of my little finger nail.

11. doug_amanda

Not such a good weekend for the tank this week, for some reason my walling hammer coral has completely stripped, I noticed on Friday night it hadn't fluffed up as it usually dose, didn't worry too much and put it down to it having a little sulk but by Monday it was completely gone, strangely the branching hammers seem fine. My candy canes aren't looking the best either, water tests all seem ok so not sure why, going to nip out tomorrow to pick up an icp test to have a proper look at what may be going on. Also sadly I found the dried up body of my scarlet hawk fish laid on top of the mesh cover, he must have squeezed through the tiny gap at the back of the tank and cooked himself under the lights,, shame.

12. Realist

Realist Registered

Sorry to read about your issues.

13. MissM

MissM Registered

Oh heck sorry to read about this never good to hear things like this

14. doug_amanda

I can’t believe it’s been over a year since I updated this thread,, how time flies.

Back in September last year we took a well needed holiday to Mexico and the day before we were to fly I noticed our mustard tang had got white spot, with no time to remove the fish I went out and bought a bottle of oodinex by esha and treated the whole tank, I also had to inform our neighbor who was looking after the fish that if he spots any dead ones to remove them if possible, I’m pretty sure at that point he regretted offering to look after them but said he would do what he could.
    Anyway to cut a long story short when we got back we had lost our regal tang, the mustard tang a coral beauty, a royal gramma, a little rock damsel as well as both clownfish.
    So virtually a tank wipeout. All that was left was a cleaner wrasse and a file fish, our neighbor was able to remove some of the dead fish straight away and we found all the other bodies with the exception of the royal gramma,and that’s how the tank stayed for well over three, maybe four months before we dared put anymore fish in.
    After trip out to Kracken corals we came back with two small royal gramma’s which paired up and built a little nest in a hole in one of the rocks which they still use and look after now.
    As there was no more Sighn of white spot we have slowly introduced more fish and presently we have the two grammas,
    Two clowns, the surviving filefish and cleaner wrasse, a coral beauty and a two spot tang, so I think there’s room for more but at the moment all the fish are happy and get along fine with no bullying or stress so not sure what else I would like to add that wouldn’t upset things , maybe a shoal of five or six green chromis ?

Will add some pictures tomorrow during the day when the lights are on properly.

15. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

Where's the pictures ?? Without pics it didn't happen lol

16. doug_amanda

It did dude honest,,
    First is just a full tank shot,
    Second and third are just random shots and the fourth is the hole in the rock that the royal gramma covered in sponges to make a nest/ hideaway.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice