1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Dosing which elements

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by leopardshark, Sep 13, 2015.

1. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Ok so I have never actually dosed any elements before I've always thought that their were enough in my water changes.

So anyway I've started dosing calcium magnesium and I've ordered alkalinity ..

So what are the main ones you dose..

What do you! Recommend ?????? Loved to hear and talk about it as I'm still green at this!!

2. warby

warby Registered

The only ones I dose are the ones I can test for.......

Personally I only dose magnesium calcium and alkalinity

3. Eyore

Eyore Guest

Firstly you never dose elements, you cannot dose magnesium or calcium etc, you dose salts containing them.

Only kalkwaser, calcium acetate or calcium carbonate (if uding a reactor) contain the correct balance of ca and hco3 for building coral skeleton, without dosing other elements

Otherwise for the purposes of this hobby we use calcium chloride, and sodium bicarbonate which leaves over sodium chloride, which will increase salinity, thefore water is trmoved, but this slowly moves the make up of your tanks water from seawater (ish) towards sodium chloride

Its to this objective that dosing/balling methods exist instead of just 2 part

Balling lite
    Balling classic/triton

Are 2 or 3 to read up on

4. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Ooh a lot to digest..

Not using salt method bailing (I think) I have a much more simple method which I thought you may help me with these fluval sea liquid suppliments...

And before you say anything I really don't know what's good or bad but I got some as freebie when the lid on my upstairs tank bust...

Anyway here look at this[​IMG]

5. Eyore

Eyore Guest

It will be calcium chloride diluted in ro

Same as the red sea ones, though the rs contains strontium and possibly some other things as well. The fluval maybe similar or maybe not

Pre diluted are an expensive way to dose in truth

Ultimatly pre diluted, or salts are all variations of the same theme, other than the purity of ingredients there is nothing much to make it "good" or "bad" , other than wonky or optimistic sales bumf leading reefers into believing in magic

6. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Cheers eyore

7. Eyore

Eyore Guest

No worries

Like i say, do a bit of reading up

It will seem very confusing at first, but keep reading and absorbing

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice