1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Do I need an RO unit??

Discussion in 'Equipment discussion' started by Byrdie, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Hi,

I was wondering if I need an RO unit, I have just purchased a Boyu TL550 32 gal/ 128 ltr so I am not sure if it is feasibly for me to get one or what can anyone please help me with this question.

Thanks in advance

2. Realist

Realist Registered

Water changes on smaller tanks are a must (small amounts and regular ). An investment in an RO would be a very good idea Big Thumbs Up

Drop a PM to [email protected] on here, he offers some good deals

3. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

as above ,works out a lot cheaper than going to the lfs all the time paying upwards of £2.50 for 25 ltrs

4. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Thanks Chris really appreciate it and very fast reply too.

5. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Hi Diver, thanks for your reply, my lfs charges £5.00 for 25 ltrs and £7.00 for salted and when I say lfs its not that local - 20 min drive at least but he is also very expensive on most of the stuff he sells :(

6. Herb

Herb Registered

7. porter_painter

porter_painter Registered

Where are you based?? Normally around £2 for 5 gallons of fresh, or £5 for salted. I used to buy salted ro for years, the finally got round to installing an ro unit and never looked back :)

8. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Hi Porter I am in Liverpool m8

9. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Very good point Herb :thumbup1:

10. porter_painter

Same here mate :) L22.

If you need any ro running for you there are plenty of local reefers that can help in an emergency, but in the long run it is worth investing in an ro unit. A small 36 or 50 gpd unit will suffice for you.

11. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Big Thumbs Up I am in L24, I didn't know you could get a 36 gpd unit I have seen the 50 gpd ones and thought that they were the smallest that you could get - with having a 32 gal tank I don't want anything to big.

12. porter_painter

you can even pick up a second hand unit for cheap as chips and then replace the filters in it to make it as good as new :)

13. Byrdie

Byrdie Registered

Way hay now that is a scouse reply lol - will have to look in the equipment classified, but I noticed anytime I am looking in there everything is miles away and I haven't even heard of these places let alone know how to reach them, good job I got me a sat nav an a driver hehehehehe

14. Inklinkerman

Inklinkerman Registered

5 quid for RO!! wow.

yes you need one. its oten cheaper to buy a new one with all new filters. don't get tmc

15. Realist

Realist Registered

By the time you do that you can buy a new one of Toby. False economy IMO

16. ZombieTuesday

ZombieTuesday Registered

My personal opinion, you are most likely in the hobby for the long term .. most are :) an RO unit for a long term reefer is a must IMO!

I don't know what its like round your way .. but there is no shop in my immediate vicinity that can provide 0 TDS water .. which is what you are going to want!

try Toby @ little ocean ... most knowledgeable RO guy I know.

17. Simplyaquaria

Simplyaquaria Registered

Agree with all above - its about long term costs, convenience and quality of water.

Some people end up finding problems with water quality from their LFS, whereas with your own RO unit, you are in charge of quality. Also, you don't have to remember to jump in the car and go and fetch water!

As an example you can get one of these for around £50 delivered to you 50 GPD Compact 4 Stage Reverse Osmosis System with refillable DI stage - Simplyaquaria Ltd

Cheers...

Daryl

18. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

I concur too ;-)

On a small tank you may get away.with a compact unit , but normally they cost you more in long run with the filters not lasting as long and being less efficient ..

I'd always recommend a full size if you have the space, let me know I can do you a good deal ;-)

I would say tho if you have a friendly reefer nearby with an ro unit then I'm sure they'd make you some water for little money.

19. Jamie@Vertex

[email protected] Registered

You've already had some great advice! First, you are better off having one than not, that is clear. Economy and simply having the water when you need it!. Second, I would recommend a 3 step unit, RO/DI, as water quality is a sensitive area, especially with the current state of our drinking water, which contains everything from fertiliser to hormones! Not really good for us and certainly not for the reef. They cost a bit more, but are worth the investment. Third, I would recommend one that does 100gpd, as this item will be with you for a while and your need for water will go up, not down. Take this from one who's done it wrong before!

While we are at it, take a look at the Vertex Puratek systems. They give you a 1:1 ratio g00d to waste water and are equiped with all that you need. Very automatic and, even though we are best known for our lighting, this is an absolute best seller for us. Must be a reason. You can see details on our The Salty Box sub-forum.

20. Jasandjules

Jasandjules Registered

Yes you do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice