1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured DKH swing on reactor Help

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Carlos, May 21, 2012.

1. Carlos

Carlos Registered

well its happened got home tonight and a qtr of my large Granulosa had stripped white, took it straight out and fragged the dead off. then tested the DKH 8 down from 9.6 OMG. next move test it out the reactor 15. what am i doing wrong.

Its on the peri pump 4 drips per second, PH controller 6.6, coral gravel the large stuff. well I say is

I've changed the media back to Arm course, PH controller 6.7 and dripping 1 drip per second.
    do i know leave it 2 hours and test out the reactor or leave it until the morning

Carl

2. Mitchell

Mitchell Registered

Id try running it 24/7 without the controller that way any swings sould be gradual rather than then controller pushing/dropping the KH.

Either way you prehaps need to buffer the KH each day to stop it dropping.

3. Carlos

Carlos Registered

Sorry Andrew could you explain a little more, are you saying turn the PH controller off and just let it run 24/7, would this not cause the DKH to rise even more than needed. my head is mashed after coming home and seeing that stripping in the tank.

4. lee

lee Registered

4 drips per secound is way over the top carl . i use a 70/30 mix of course arm and coral graval 70% is arm. running at 90 drip's a min. also with using arm your ph of 6.7 will need to be lower.

5. Carlos

Carlos Registered

Hi Lee,

Ive got all Arm Media in now, with you saying it will need to be lower than 6.7, what would you say to have it on mate.

Thanks

Carl

6. lee

lee Registered

start with ph 6.5 and 1 drip a secound carl.

7. lee

lee Registered

your saying you was only getting 15 out of the reactor carl ? if so id say that's cos your ph was set to low.

8. Carlos

Carlos Registered

it was Lee, But i've changed the media to Arm now and set the controller to 6.7, I've just been reading Arm is better at 6.5. when I was on the all corla gravel I was told you need to push the gas through hard which I took to lower the PH. guess I took that the wrong way mate.

Carl

9. Mitchell

Mitchell Registered

I run mine as follows. (you need to monitor the KH and prehaps buffer if your worried about stripping)

I get the fastest flow I can through the reactor, not a drip a proper flow. Then I set the lowest flow on the co2. Measure the KH and let it run 24 hours and see if the KH has risen or fallen. I'm using large reef bones as media.

If I want to rise the KH Id then increase the co2 a smidge and leave it 24 hours and test again. You can also reduce the flow which would increase the KH.

The key in controlling the reactor is regulating the flow through the reactor of co2 and water. Being able to have a constant regulated flow of say water via a peri pump is fab if you can get it flowing fast enough otherwise you have to use the ph probe and solinoid to regulate the co2.

Hope that helps, it takes about a week to get the reactor tuned in then you can sit back and relax.

10. heller792

heller792 Registered

Recently pal I've had a couple of occasions were my co2 feed pipe had come off and it resulted in a swing from 9 down to 5 dkh. Have you thought that it might not actually be you all swing that's causing the striping in the corals. Even when I first set my reactor up I had massive swings and never had any corals strip.

Dave

11. lee

lee Registered

you need 30 dkh out carl for it to work i had hell with my reactor at first ppl you tell you what work's your them but that may not work for you. i run may ph at 6.3 with the arm because of the size of the media.

12. heller792

heller792 Registered

I run mine at 5.9 for coarse arm media

13. heller792

heller792 Registered

You really need a low ph pal with arm

14. lee

lee Registered

thank you dave i got told so many time's i was running mine wrong because of the low ph.

15. Carlos

Carlos Registered

Its a point Dave I was messing around with that coral a lot yesterday afternoon trying to place it with milliput, could that of had something to do with it stripping my heavy hands.

I remember reading it Lee, I did not comment on the thread as I was only on LPS and min balling at the time mate.

so what would be a good starting point dave what are you getting out of you reactor set on 5.9 but then again your needs are greater with your full SPS, Lee what is your set up at mate. Hell i'm going to be up all night messing :lol:, I've seen a thread that ppl run Arm at 6.5.

so am I right here lowering the PH on the controller will up the DKH coming out the reactor.

Carl

16. lee

lee Registered

yes carl.

17. Carlos

Carlos Registered

Thanks Lee, as I would rather control it on the controller than not a controller. Its been running since 6.30pm with the new media I will check it t 10 tonight and again in the morning and see what it is.

Carl

18. Carlos

Carlos Registered

Hi Andrew just coming back to your method, when you say its flowing through approx how many ml a minute is coming from the reactor and what bubble rate off the gas are you running.

Carl

19. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

Have you calibrated the pH electrode. PH electrodes are terrible for drifting. If you set at 6.6 it could be 7 hence the output of just 15!

20. Mattd28

Mattd28 Registered

I'm with Dave, a swing from 9.6 to 8 shouldnt in most cases cause stripping, certainly not as quickly as your Granuloas. I was buffering with bicarbonate before the reactor was on and the swings we're all over the place, in fact from 7 to 11!!! No stripping at all.

I also run my reactor at a low ph... I'm using course coral gravel and it's currently set at 6.2 to 6.3. I have a drip rate slightly less than you, about 2-3 drips per sec into another reactor full of gravel to buffer.

Anymore than 3-4 drops per sec and you risk dropping the ph in the tank too low IMO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice