1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured DJs return to reefing

Discussion in 'Large Tanks (101gal+)' started by dj23bol, Jan 19, 2015.

1. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Hey guys so I gave up the hobby last year but it didn't last long at all only a few month and I got the bug again and a friend offered me his 4ft for a really good price and here's the pics so far I've started to clean it up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the sump I've rinsed out
    [​IMG]
    I'm not going to be filling the tank for a while yet as I'm going to build up the equipment I need and do all the tlc on the stand so it's all done and perfect before I start.
    I also plan on filling the tank with water and vinigar and letting it run for a few days to give all the pumps and pipework an good clean out.

2. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Right had a mock up of the sump area last night I'm going to keep the plumbing like it was but maybe adapt it a little to make it more user friendly and quick release incase I need easy access to the sump. The return pump is 8000lph and the return is via a spray bar and I've seen this tank running it performed quiet well [​IMG][​IMG]

3. chippypah

chippypah Registered

Very nice there, look forward to seeing this progress.

4. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Well today's bit was to fix the pelmet back togeather I've done that and it's back on the tank
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm still not 100% happy with how solid the pelmet is so I'm going to add some L brackets on the inside to secure it some more.
    I still need to clean the tank some more I've hoovered the sand out today so the misses wasn't best impressed haha I did clean the hoover however after as it stunk lol

5. Leggett

Leggett Registered

Looking good. Be nice to see this tank grow

6. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Cheers guys I'm taking this one nice and slow so it won't be getting setup for a few month I'm just gathering equipment and bits and bats first as when I left the hobby I sold everything :-(

7. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

The tanks getting it's first fill ready for cleaning and sterilisation and to test out the equipment
    [​IMG]

8. Leggett

Leggett Registered

Hopefully no leaks and you can get it salty soon :)

9. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Nope no leaks I need to get my RO machine next and then order my rock so I can cure it while I'm waiting for my lights and sand :)

10. PaulW

PaulW Registered

that silicone on the sump looks blue? from copper treatment in the past. if so i would reseal with fresh silicone

11. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Not sure if he's ever used a copper treatment before I know he's used odinex and polyplab medic previously as it was his reef tank, i've bought the tank of a mate so I kinda know the history of the tank and I will ask him if he's ever used and copper treatments, i've got a tube of aquamate silicone in the cupboard anyway so resealing won't be an issue

12. PaulW

PaulW Registered

you can actually see the water line in the pics. i would silicone over that tbh.

13. PaulW

PaulW Registered

better safe than sorry Big Thumbs Up

14. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Yeah your right I will cut it out and put fresh over the top it's like you said better safe than sorry

15. PaulW

PaulW Registered

i wouldnt even bother cutting the old stuff out, just go over it and re seal that way.

16. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Cheers for the advice

17. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Well picking up an RO unit Sunday it's a second hand unit but it's all I can afford at the min with it being the little ones birthday soon and I'm picking up a wp40 off @[member="merser"] on Monday so next on my list is rock so that I can start to cure it while I save up for the lights I'm still toying with wether to get the it2080 or the it2120 I suppose it will come down to how many pennies I have at the Time but I'm doing quiet well at the moment and I'm ahead of my time frame that I set myself lol can't wait get the rock

18. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

That's the RO machine picked up
    [​IMG]
    And fitted under the sink I had to seal the fitting with aquamate silicone as when I removed my old one i threw away the plastic washer for the self piercing saddle valve but a dab of aquamate has done the trick I'm just giving it a run now to see if I need to change the DI or anything before I use it
    [​IMG]
    Tds going in
    [​IMG]
    And out
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  19. HiddenReefer

HiddenReefer Registered

Looks like your getting it all together now pal won't be long before your up and running again :)

20. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Cheers nav I'm getting I'm really excited now lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice