1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Djs Aquareef 400 Adventure

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by dj23bol, Dec 12, 2018.

1. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Hopefully it’s just a short phase it’s going through,,
    If not I had great results at shifting cyno with chemiclean.

2. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Yeah previously I've used it on other tanks in the past with good success so tomorrow I will be ordering something like that

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Ordered chemi-clean and two new test kits tanks had an hour of light today and I've blacked it back out the cyano on the sand looks to be less but obviously if I lit the tank all day it would be just as bad, ive also done another water change and set the Ro water going for the next I'm hoping I can beat this soon

4. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

Good luck

It’s re hard to beat it I find

dj23bol likes this.
  5. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Well now I'm having a super bad algae bloom aswell today lights are out and I can't see from one side of the glass to the next, fish are fine I've just change out the carbon in the hopes it pulls out and #### from the water. Never had this much trouble in the last 5 years it's driving me insane I'm going to hold off on the water changes as I did one and 40 minutes later algae bloom so I'm obviously feeding something in the tank, the skimmer is going nuts aswell so hopefully it will pull it out

6. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Today's update had the lights on half the usual amount today and the cyano is very minimal but still there, ive been doing the bubble method still at night which seems to be helping, although all my corals seem to be in a mega sulk I've got literally zero algae and not had to clean the glass in over a week maybe longer, still waiting for my new test kits to come aswell but I know softies like a dirty tank so I'm thinking the cyano was taking all the nitrates and phosphates out of the water and starving the corals, at least that's what I'm hoping but at this point I'm guessing! Test kits arrive tomorrow but for now I've taken the phosphate reactor offline worse case scenario I get a bit green lol. Never ever had issues like this so I'm at a complete loss on what to do from here but I suppose testing will help..

7. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Right so test kits have arrived Sailfert
    Phosphate - 0
    isn't showing up at all and with zero bad algae showing in the display I agree with this reading
    Nitrates are showing at 1ppm
    So looks like I've caused an imbalance in the Redfield ratio which in turn has affected my corals and caused cyano (although the black out has got rid of 99% of it) the phosphate reactor will remain offline for now and I may switch to carbon dosing when me levels get back to normal

8. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Also to add I've turned my skimmer off aswell

9. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Chemi- clean has come so I've used it, also put skimmer back on without the cup to add oxygen to the water

10. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Got a new Ro machine today off a friend who set up and got out of the hobby in a month or less lol mine was well ready for a refurb! I think I'm going to save it and make a 7 stage out of the extra canisters just needs a bloody good clean and a lick of paint on the bracket![​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

11. jim_fitz

Do you have baked beans in it ?

12. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Youd think with the look of it! Haha

13. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Just discovered my yellow wrasse in the sump! And plopped him back into the display and then the green wrasse chased him into the sand! Seems my aggression problem still exists . Propably should of used that as an opportunity to move yellow on although I'd rather get rid of the green one but hes way to smart to get caught Haha

14. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

So I thought I'd update the thread with some pictures now that the tank seems to be settling, the large Gsp is starting to open again and so are the zoas! Phosphate reactor is still offline and after 2 doses the cyano is getting better although it's not gone! All fish are fine and the anemone is doing great[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. jim_fitz

nem looks great :ARMS1:

dj23bol likes this.
  16. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Thanks buddy, just managed to catch the yellow wrasse again I'm going to have to move him on, I've popped him in the sump for now

17. jim_fitz

Might be a wise decision

18. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Water change and a full tank shot well happy with how it's looking at the minute! Never for one second thought that I was running too much GFO and water changing too much!
    Tests yesterday
    Nitrates at 2ppm
    Phosphate still undetectable[​IMG][​IMG]

19. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Anemones getting big fast! Might have to move the zoas! Also I'm on the lookout for some more soft corals [​IMG]

20. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

Soooooo picked up some new Zoas last night from penzo and they are in the tank and settling, my anemone is getting Huge! Like its touching the sunny D zoas now so over had to intervene! Think I'm going to add a small rock behind the zoas to give them space from the nem or I'm going to have to move the zoas! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice