1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Diy tank stand

Discussion in 'Tank Mods & DIY' started by warby, May 1, 2015.

1. warby

warby Registered

As some of you may know after my hols at the end of July I'm going to be upgrading my tank to a 4x2x2 and making my own stand but buying the tank. Iv done some research into stand building and this is what iv come up with.
    As this is the first stand iv made I think k iv gone way over the top but I'd rather do that then have it fail like my current stand.

Iv added 1/2" to each side of the stand to allow a decorative border to cover the bottom 1 or 2 inches of the tank.

All critism welcome and is there anything you would change and why?

I'm also leaning towards 30" tall as access would be easier then at 36".
    As I haven't made this picture (just put sizes and text on it) the central brace is missing it will be going at the front and this will be removable for easy access if required.

There will also be a plywood Base for the sump to sit on.

Thanks In advance
    uploadfromtaptalk1430496087003.jpg

2. peter

peter Registered

if using 4x2 dont forget to allow 8" off the internal dimensions ie 30 becomes 22 36 becomes 28

3. warby

warby Registered

Yeah I know that. I think I put it in the picture. But it would be 10" off because I'm using 6x2 for the top frame and 4x2 for the bottom..

I take it the overall design looks ok?

4. rabbut

rabbut Registered

The pine board of the cladding on that will become part of the structure, so make sure you think about how you are fixing it to the frame. It will need to stop side-to-side, front-to-back and twisting forces for it to stay structurally OK. I'd probably route out grooves in the frame, glue & screw the first three edges of 4x2 in place in the pine boards and set them in place when you then glue & screw in the final 4th piece of the 4x2 frame component... The other option is an extra piece of 4x2 going diagonally across the back of the frame and at least 1 of the two sides.

5. warby

warby Registered

good ppoint i didnt think about sideways and front to back......from what iv read people have just used 1/4 plywood to clad the frame would the pine not be strong enough to stop the movement?

im only using the pine so i can stain it would there be something better? [MENTION=11559]rabbut[/MENTION]

6. rabbut

rabbut Registered

The 1/4 pine will be plenty strong enough, and a good choice if you value it looking good when finished. You just have to make sure however you fix it isn't going to fail in warm and damp conditions for a prolonged period of time :smile:

7. warby

warby Registered

The pine board it basically strips of 4inch pine glues together so I was thinking glue it and screw it every 4inch on the back. The sides I'm not so sure about yet.

8. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Glue and screw should be fine if you have reasonable ventilation in the cabinet and are going to cover it in something waterproof once finished (polyethylene based varnish or similar).

9. warby

warby Registered

There's going to be a hole cut in the back not sure on the size yet but it will be similar to the stand iv got now so I can put fans in the cabinet to draw.fresh air in and remove warm salty air. It will all be stained and varnished including the frame.

10. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Look forward to seeing build and/or finished product photos :smile:

11. warby

warby Registered

I'll be posting pictures as i go. But won't be starting it for about a month or so. Need to finalise what I'm doing with the stand and where I'm getting the tank from e.t.c. ohh and re in force the floor as I'd rather it not fall through it! That would make an awful mess lol

12. swin

swin Registered

Using marine plyboard would last longest,screw and use wood glue would make it very stable

13. warby

warby Registered

Would get shot if I used plywood lol.

14. swin

swin Registered

You can cover it after :)

15. warby

warby Registered

Quick update tank stand is done, had prices for the tank sump and pipework. Which will hopefully get ordered when I get back from holiday.

A few pictures:
    Stc1000 box mounted and wired ready for the stc to go in.
    [​IMG]

Hole cut in the back for cables and ventilation e.t.c. boxed it off aswell knowing me I'd drop something down the gap otherwise haha.
    [​IMG]

And last a picture with the doora but no top. Leaving it off as i will need to drill holes into it for the pipework.
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice