1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Display DSB

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by znoop, Feb 5, 2014.

1. znoop

znoop Registered

Hi,

I have a 56 x 24 display foot print, and was looking it to setting up a DSB, but have a few question I was hoping some one could help me with?

I have calculated my main display to need 7-8 bags Caribsea Aragonite Oolite Sugar if it's 70 lb per cubic ft.

1, Do I have to use 4" or can I lower it to 3" with and adverse effects as it says it works at bed from around 2". Most of the documentation I have read suggested 4"

2, Can I add a coarser sand on top. Thin layer 1/2 inch say without impacting on the workings of the sand bed, Reasons for this is I don't want a sand storm.

I am recycling my live rock which has been jet washed and soaked in RO water twice to make sure it's as clean as possible, I was hoping to aqua scape this on rods leaving 3" - 4" clearance on the base as not to compact the sand.

With regards to cycling will I be OK to add the rock (soaked only in RO water) to the tank and then the sand and cycle the lot together, using bacteria solution? Or rock in tank only cycle first then add the dry sand.

2. Eaval

Eaval Registered

I have a display DSB and mine is 5" deep. Dave [MENTION=11480]heller792[/MENTION] also has a display DSB but think his is 6"?
    I wouldnt go below the 5" personally. Mine is never flat and uniform, have gobies etc that turn it over but also move it around so it can change by 1" or so in parts.

Most importantly, dont forget to support your rockwork - if you place it onto the sand bed you willl not only compress it below the rockwork but your asking for a fall. Daves thread has some good pics of how he did his.

3. znoop

znoop Registered

Cheers, I have been round to Dave [MENTION=11480]heller792[/MENTION] and seen his tank in the flesh, very inspirational.

So if I'm right as deep as I can go, and just Caribsea Aragonite Oolite Sugar sand and nothing on top, no coarser substrate.

With regards the rock work it will be on riser rods 4" from base of tank, so not to compact the sand like you stated...

4. heller792

heller792 Registered

raise the rock pal as it gives more area for the bed but it has to be sturdy

5. znoop

znoop Registered

Acrylic base sat on the bottom of the tank, acrylic rods attached to this, then a gap of approx 4" then the rock starts, as if it was floating. The sand is then put into the tank covering the acrylic base. And the rock should appear to be sat on the sand, which it's not its suspended 4".

6. Eaval

Eaval Registered

I put eggcrate on glasd. Added rockwork and aquaroche tower then added sand. I dont have Daves modelling skills ...

that should draw Liam to this thread!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice