1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Dilemma

Discussion in 'Tank Mods & DIY' started by trumpet30, Nov 3, 2017.

1. trumpet30

trumpet30 Registered

I have a Juwel lido 120 with an overflow box and sump. In the sump I have a tunze 9002 skimmer fluidised bed and filter sock and heaters. This also has an auto top up and cooling fan.

I had a leak on my sump so have had to put the skimmer and heaters in the tank. These are in a corner and to be honest looking not too bad.

My dilemma is do I reseal my sump and move everything back or just have the tank as is with the skimmer and heaters inside.

What would you suggest do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

Personally I would get a new sump ( don't reseal - only because I wouldn't trust myself to reseal properly) then move everything back down. There are no major negatives of having the skimmer and heater in the tank apart from aesthetical so if your happy with it stick to it

garvin6600 and Afonso like this.
  3. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

I agree, sort yourself a new sump, there's plenty of good tanks without one but it makes life much easier with one.

garvin6600 likes this.
  4. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Don't forget sumps add extra volume to your tank (as well as hiding all your kit). I'd therefore either seal the sump (is worth a try) or replace it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

garvin6600 likes this.
  5. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Maiden Head Aquatics do a sealant that you can use in water which is safe for all aquatic life and makes a superb seal (I've used it on my pipe work and also on my new bathroom suite ).

I once bought a 500l tank that had a leak (for a great price obviously) and I used the MHA sold sealant and never had any problems

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

garvin6600 likes this.
  6. garvin6600

garvin6600 Registered

For me..Definately repair or replace Sump.
    Reef Swap meets ..LFS may have a line on great used sump to meet your requirement .
    The real benifits of Having a sump ( and there Are many very fine tanks out there without one ) are ..Increased water surface area = more air / water contact and increased oxygen to tank water.
    As well, longer hold time / filter time efficiencey = less maintaonance better water quality.
    In my opinion Display tank Looks better ..Sowcasing your fish..Aquascape and corals..Not your Equipment ! ( no matter How Sexy that new Skimmer looks lol
    Good luck
    Oh ps
    It wouldnt hurt to take a shot at re sealing Sump..
    But you may be surprised how inexpensive a simple Sump can be....

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

doug_amanda and Afonso like this.
  7. trumpet30

trumpet30 Registered

Well the good news is that having taken everything apart the sump was not the problem. Whilst it was out took the opportunity of adding some extra sealant just to make sure for the future. Found my overflow was cracked and water was running down this down the side of the sump giving the impression of the sump. Have ordered a new overflow box and then can get everything back in and running. Thanks for all the comments which helped make my mind up. Sump it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doug_amanda likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice