1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured diatom problem

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by diver 807, Feb 4, 2013.

1. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

I am battling with diatoms,as fast as I clean it away it's back in a day or so.all params are good ,tank's been runningfor about 17 months.ihave cuc of turbos and cerith and nassarius snails. would lighting be the problem? I have an 6 tube unit with 2 14k marine white,2 50-50 blues and 2 marine blues..running with po4 remover and carbon. circulation is 13000lph +sump return of 2500lph.tank volume 360ltrs.sg 1.026,ph 8.3.kh 10.9,mag 1400.cal 450 po4 o .no2 0.no3 5

2. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

I.ve been looking on the internet and found that there are pads that will remove diatoms but not where to get them,any ideas

3. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Datums like silicates

are you using RO water through a Di unit?

GFO will to some extent absorb silicates

4. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

yes reading 0 tds

5. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

I have just done a calibration check on my tds meter and its spot on , so I,m not getting silicates from the ro water

6. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

anybody.????????????

7. ged@fishnochips

[email protected] Registered

Diatoms normally appear when a tank is new or sand etc / LR has been moved and stuff is disturbed.

How long have you been suffering?

Normally they disappear as quickly as they appear after a few weeks, as long as husbandry is good etc

8. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

about a month or more,since I changed the lights from halides to t5s,been toying with the flow to direct it on the sand,water changes 20% a month

9. ged@fishnochips

Thats probably the answer then. Different light spectrum probably. It will probably just disappear again, just like it does when a tank cycles etc

Just keep doing what you did before and see how you get on. I was getting loads the last 2 weeks and then they just stopped and disappeared again. Still a little there but nowhere near as it had been.

10. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

would it help to change one of the blues to another 14k marine white

11. sjspicer

sjspicer Registered

Just a thought- what kind of sand are you using? Is it marine sand, like aragonite, or is it "play sand"?

Steve

12. ged@fishnochips

I really don't know mate tbh

Its part of the ugly stage in a tank cycling etc and does sometimes just happen.

I too have changed lights etc recently, as well as upgrade so as you can see there is a reason for it, it didn't just happen. ;)

I would leave it another week or so, as sure as eggs are eggs, if you syphon it out, they will be back again, until they decide to do one.

Your call on the bulb.

13. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

coral sand had it for 5 years,it was in my old tank

14. sjspicer

sjspicer Registered

Ok, not that then! As already said, true diatoms are usually a result of silicates, which can leach from poor quality sand.

You might find that if you syphon out most of the sand and replace with something like Caribsea aragamax sand the problem just goes away. But then again, it might not, and if you have any depth of sand this could knacker your tank and cause a mini-cycle.

Steve

15. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

thanks for your help guys,will try new sand and see what happens,I will keep you posted

16. ged@fishnochips

tbh I wouldn't but its your call.

17. sjspicer

sjspicer Registered

I think it depends on the depth of the sand in the tank. I certainly wouldn't remove it all in one go, but I think it would be worth removing a small area and replacing with an aragonite based sand, just do it in small stages. If the diatoms still appear in the new sand area then you can scratch that one off. its easy to dismiss the importance of a decent quality substrate. The problem with remotely diagnosing problems with tanks is the lack of a complete picture!

Out of interest, Why do you think it won't help?

Steve

18. ged@fishnochips

Because diatoms normally disappear as quickly as they appear.

In my experience, a chain of events or event sparks it off. Exactly like setting up a new tank and then it going through the cycling stage.

Not disagreeing as such, just a different view point.

However your idea of a little bit to try is a good starting point I guess. ;)

19. Diverwez

Diverwez Registered

i turned my led,s up to 95% and started getting diatoms all over the sandbed, turned them back down a bit and they are dissapearing.

20. sjspicer

sjspicer Registered

Its healthy to disagree...! I'm sure we've all helped a number of people over the years with diatoms and other unwanted algaes- As they generally require silicates, the source of these is often the sand. I'd still try maybe 1/4 and see what happens.

Steve

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice