1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Fish Health' started by Jason1992, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Jason1992

Jason1992 Registered

Hi guys I have attached a picture of my threadfin butterfly fish who sadly passed away this morning, only had him for 5 days! Needless to say I went straight down the lfs this morning for a credit note, yesterday was first day I noticed any spots and went to straight to lfs and showed a pic they said it's white spot gave me a ntlabs anti bacterials treatment plus a parazoryne treatment for 10 Days. To me the fish still acted healthy and with very few spots I thought would be fine. But after adding the anti bacterial died with in 24hrs, also I took a water sample to the shops they said it's perfect which I knew as I test regularly.
    My question is that I showed the manager a picture this morning and she said it doesn't look much like white spot she said it was something else? Can't remember the name what do you guys think? All my other fish seem at the minute I have still added the parazoryne today and will continue for 10 days.
    Any advice would be really appreciated
    Thanks guys
    Jason

Attached Files:

2. penzo

penzo Registered

I didn't like the n't labs anti bac and parazoryne did nothing for me,that could have been lymphocystis (probably spelt wrong).Lol.sorry you lost your fish.

3. Neil

Neil Registered

Unless the fish is put into QT you cant treat with strong chemicals

4. Realist

Realist Registered

That's one major issue when introducing a new tank mate into a live system is has the new tank mate got any disease/issues and the only way to guaranteed the rest of your tank is not effected is to put them into a quarantine tank first.

The quarantine tank can be a basic setup a small 2x2 tank, filter I would not use any sand or rock just water and watch the new fish like a hawk.

If all's well after a while then place in your display tank and that's the only way your going to guarantee disease control.

Now your going to hope, prey that white spot or what ever it is does not infect your current stock again watch and post back your findings.

Best of luck and sad when a tank mate dies like that.

Regards.

PS,

What was the stock like at your LFS was they showing signs of white spot?

5. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

As above q/t and copper

6. penzo

penzo Registered

+1 on the above,but I think you need something for fishes to hide whilst in qt,plastic pipe or plant pots,,and sand in tubs for any wrasse.

7. Realist

Realist Registered

Yeh I forgot about placing something in the QT tank, plastic plant pot is idea.

8. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

If you have no Q/T another option is to reserve your fish and let the LFS keep it for a while and pop in regularly to look at your prize to check - A. That it's feeding ok B. That it's healthy and not displaying any signs of ich, etc.

Hope your other fish don't catch anything.

9. Jason1992

Jason1992 Registered

Thanks for all info guys, I don't currently have a q/t I'd really like to avoid if possible as space is limited (flat)) but the reserving in a shop is a great idea ask to leave on its on for a few days. and I've came home from work today and there all fine acting normal and eating well. I'm sure it wasn't white spot it was the other thing they mentioned and just a diseased fish hopefully that's the case will keep updated thanks again

10. Jason1992

Jason1992 Registered

Also my lfs is swallow aquatics is massvie quite a know name, and very professional set up etc and that's where I get all my fish from, I honestly believe it had that lymph disease and the shop mis diagnosed and didn't give the right treatment

11. Jason1992

Jason1992 Registered

Update, HELP! Everything's been going well last few days all fish have been fine, I have been adding that parazoyne treatment and today I've come home from work and my blue tang is covered in spots I'm very worried it's going to die by morning like the last fish did on Monday, this white spot is killing off my whole tank! I can't get to any shops as there all shut now, any ideas what can do with limited resources tonight?..

12. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Not a lot you can do now bud :(
    You might even be to late for copper. Can you show pics of fish as they are now?

13. Jason1992

Jason1992 Registered

I done a hyposalinity bath in fresh water earlier as was reccomeneded so will hope it's okay till morning and I'll go down the shop, his hiding now so can't get a pic. Have to wait and see now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice