1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Desmond's 275 cube Zoa/Lps

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by CEECH, Aug 24, 2016.

1. CEECH

CEECH Registered

0 tds but i read that a build up in the resovoir can happen from sediment that settels after time. If it goes low in the resovoir it pulls this into the tank when refilling causing a bacteria spike of some sort. Honestly i am not sure if it is this or whats going on but i am really starting to have enough of the tank lately. I need a sea slug and another tang to help hammer this algae.

2. mgreenough

mgreenough Registered

Des, I have started to use a toothbrush on my rocks nightly which is making a positive effect. Try it for a few days to see if it makes a difference, and use a filter sock to catch the crud. The amount of settled detritus in my rocks was amazing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3. CEECH

CEECH Registered

just talked to my mate going to collect a lawnmower blenny today and give it a go. He said he should start making a dent in it.

4. penzo

penzo Registered

Stick with it des,it will all come good for you.I got most of my algae off with a toothbrush and pot brush lol,but I have no fish in which makes it easier.I've also put some vibrant in,as I'd not used it for ages.

5. CEECH

CEECH Registered

i have attacked with a toothbrush many times now but keeps coming back. Was also using vibrant but i have gone through the entire bottle and i am not going to use it anymore. Hopefully fingers crossed the Algae Blenny will go at it. It is depressing looking at the tank all my zoa suffering daily and manual removal not working. I have hardly looked at the tank since Friday other than feeding as its just annoying me and i would be scared i could take a hammer to it !

6. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

'Tis the season for hair algae.....I got some as well now :w00t: Cleaned my sump last night and will be getting out the toothbrush tonight :whistling:

I've rearranged my sump as well and now for the very first time have a fuge with chaeto as well as a reactor to reduce phos. My params are: No3 = 2 and Po4 = 0.04, have stopped dosing nopox as want to keep things simple from now on.

I think my Yellow Tang is allergic to hair algae - cos it's not touching it Hysterical, nor is my bruiser emerald crab!

7. Scott

Scott Registered

Maybe a clump of bacteria and not necessarily a bad thing

8. CEECH

CEECH Registered

well its out now i was not taking any chances. Knowing my luck now it will end up crashing my tank again Hysterical

9. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

I Would never clean my sump. to many goodies in there imo
    Good luck mate Big Thumbs Up

10. CEECH

CEECH Registered

i dont clean where the fuge is only ever the return section and 1st section to clean crud and build up out.

11. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Are things still bad? algae etc

12. CEECH

CEECH Registered

yes still bet with algae. I was manually removing some last night and it seemed to be coming off easy enough. I got a algae blenny yesterday but it is skinny so we will see if it survives , but i think it must have though it arrived in heaven in my tankwhen it seen all the algae. I got it for free so will keep an eye on it and if it passes get another. Hopefully it will start eating. Seemed to be happy last night as it was chomping away on algae when i checked last night so fingers crossed.

13. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

I Think you have tried near everything now Des. :(

14. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Yep i will try and get as much as i can out by hand later and see how things are looking. I really dont want to tear the tank down again but if it keeps getting worse or not going away there wont be much other choice i will have other than to do that.

15. CEECH

CEECH Registered

More algae pulled out last night. Will stick at it now and keep hammering it. On a positive note my algae blenny was chomping away on the algae on the bug plate last night which i was delighted to see :)

16. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Those blenny's good?

17. CEECH

CEECH Registered

hard to say at the minute as i dont have it long but it was 100% chomping on the hair algae last night which i was delighted about :) i did read some go for algae others dont . I also turned all red light off on my radions now and i have reduced the amount of time they are on. Macro algae in sump seems to be doing ok for now so hopefully it will take off soon.

18. cuprajake

cuprajake Registered

what schedule are you using on the radions?

19. CEECH

CEECH Registered

radiant colour schedule without red

20. cuprajake

cuprajake Registered

i use a modified reefworks lps program with great results, i can publish it and you could have a try if you wish

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice