1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

D-d Tanks And Their Customer Service

Discussion in 'Equipment discussion' started by spooky, Mar 2, 2019.

1. spooky

spooky Registered

After using various products that D-D supply over the years and being happy with them, I ordered a Reef Pro 1500S tank for £1,800, assuming I would get a top-quality tank and that if there were any issues they would be dealt with correctly.

The moment the tank was unpacked a chip was found in the glass at the top of the weir - instantly noticed and how it got past quality control was anybody's guess.

Due to personal circumstances I absolutely had to get the tank installed and stock transferred across. D-D informed me that they had zero stock of 1500S tanks to replace it with immediately and that I would have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for a new tank to be built. Apparently they had zero tanks in the curing process (so presumably had not sold any in the previous 3 weeks).

It simply wasn't possible for me to wait weeks as I would actually have had to wait many months before I had another opportunity to get the transfer done and the current tank absolutely needed it's inhabitants re-homed. D-D informed me that they'd provide a cover to mask the chip and they'd take care of me and they suggested that they could give me a bucket of salt or something. I made clear that I don't use salt and certainly don't use theirs. it was suggested that something else could be done to compensate for this situation. I could live with that. Not ideal but in the situation I was in I could live with it.

My Reef Tops tank cover arrived and did not fit. I measured it and it was absolutely made to specification. I then measured the tank dimensions (and I recommend that anyone with a D-D tank does the same). After much measuring it turned out that the left-hand side panel glass was 3mm short. In addition, the right-hand side of the back pane of glass had not been glued entirely flush with the end of the side panel.

At this point I was rather upset. D-D then informed me that they are only the 'middle-men' because they don't make the tanks. Really? I'm pretty sure their name is on the tanks and they sell them and take the money. Just the middlemen... They then informed me that the problem wasn't the tank - the Reef Top jump guard shouldn't be made to fit the published tank specification with only a couple of mm tolerance because a hand-made tank can't possibly be expected to be made to the published specification... At this point I was getting more annoyed.

I eventually suggested, after much discussion and attempts by them to pass the buck, that they pay the delivery costs for me to get the Reef Top delivered back to the supplier and then returned to me. Reef Tops had very kindly agreed to alter their jump guard to fit the tank without charge. As I absolutely needed this done and I could probably live with all of this I agreed.

The top was altered and came back. I then had to ask for D-D to pay the courier costs that they had agreed to pay. Instead I was told they would be happy to provide 5 replacement fleece for my Clarisea. Not what had been agreed but, whatever, I'm a patient person (probably far too patient), I'll use it and it's roughly going to cover the costs I incurred with couriers, although they will have saved some money as their costs will no doubt have been less than what they had agreed to pay (which really seems to be all they are interested in).

I then heard nothing further. I had to chase yet again. Yet again I was told how it wasn't their fault, it was within tolerance and thus acceptable, that they offered to build a new tank (although they wouldn't take the existing one out and bring the new one in - my supplier would have to hire people again to do that, at his cost, even though he'd done nothing wrong) and that the Reef Top should have been made with far greater tolerance to accommodate their shoddy build (the tank was built just after the New Year - there's a surprise). Again I was told they would get a bucket of salt to me. I was further informed that they basically regret speaking directly to customers and really the supplier (who would have no authority to do anything and would simply be a buffer for them) should be dealing with it.

Again I told them I don't want their salt. I suggested what they could do, which was a few items that I would actually use, and we would be done.

Again, no response to my emails. I chased again with zero response. Totally ignored.

The next thing I know my girlfriend calls me to tell me that a bucket of bloody salt had arrived. 2 or 3 times I clearly told them that I didn't want their salt, suggested alternatives and I simply get ignored and they send exactly what I told them I don't want. That's basically giving me the middle finger.

Stuart Bertram - you have absolutely zero clue how to deal with customers, what customer service means and what your responsibilities are to your customers.

Disgusted.

Anyone with a D-D tank, measure your internal and external dimensions and let's hope I am alone and that you never need any decent customer service if anything goes wrong.

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Sorry to read about the challenges of your new tank, I would also expect something with the D-D name on it to be of pretty high quality and built to exacting specifications.
    Now you have it all sorted it should make a lovely looking display. Post up some pictures so we can see it develop.
    :)

3. spooky

spooky Registered

I would have expected the same but this wasn't the case at all. They told me on a number of occasions that they are 'just the middlemen' because they pay a supplier to make the tanks. Incredible.

Things do go wrong and the important thing is how they deal with the customer. They failed significantly in this regard and don't appear particularly bothered.

Another forum where they are a sponsor put me under moderation after one post telling people about my experience with their sponsor. Oh dear...

I went with all GHL equipment for this build - Profilux P4, Mitras LX7 lights, KH Director, dosers, etc. Fantastic equipment, built extremely well and designed nicely and works brilliantly. Any issues are resolved very well. D-D could learn a thing or two but I don't think they are particularly bothered.

Dan at The Coral Cabin helped enormously through the process and I had stock transferred (2 clowns, 3 tangs and a Tamarind Wrasse) and zero ammonia after 24 hours.

IMG_8364.jpg

IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_8231.jpg

IMG_9270.jpg

IMG_9760.jpg

IMG_7795 2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  4. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

That’s a superb high quality system and the powder blue is stunning.

5. spooky

spooky Registered

Thanks. I added a Diamond Tail Wrasse and some corals today. The Wrasse is hiding of course.

It's probably only a couple of weeks since the tank was set up but the rock was excellent from Dan so we'll see what happens with the corals.

The GHL KH Director is handling the alkalinity dosing and seems to be doing a great job.

6. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

Despite all your issues
    It’s a great looking setup

What’s your next steps?

7. spooky

spooky Registered

Thanks Jim.

I'm just testing and keeping an eye on things. If it continues along these lines I'll add more corals. There are only one or two more fish I'd like and they are wrasse.

Having said that, I'll probably need to add a cleaner wrasse as I've just noticed a bit of an infestation has suddenly shown up on the tangs. I'd noticed the PBT was a bit paler than usual over the last couple of days and I had been surprised that there had been no signs of stress from the tank transfer, which was done in one day... well here it is! I'm sure they will pull through as they have done before - they are all fat and eating well.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  8. jim_fitz

I always think that’s half the battle
    If they are greedy and fat they are healthy

What lights are you using?

9. spooky

spooky Registered

I have three Mitras LX7, controlled by the Profilux P4 and mounted using the GHL Flex Mounts. Really pleased with them.

10. spooky

spooky Registered

Enjoying the GHL app and everything is looking good (apart from the PBT being rather unhappy at the moment, so I added a Cleaner Wrasse and he is working hard).

image1 (1).png

11. jim_fitz

All looking good there

Hope the powder blue improves

12. spooky

spooky Registered

Thanks. He's been breathing hard, in a bad way and off his food, although I've seen him taking some small nibbles of nori. I'll keep an eye on him but I think it's best to just let him try to sort it out - I think that the stress of moving him and trying to treat him wouldn't do him any favours. He's doing the usual thing of getting up in front of the powerheads and he is going to the Cleaner Wrasse, which is doing it's job.

He's fought through it a couple of years ago and hopefully he'll do the same this time. It's horrible to see them like this.

13. spooky

spooky Registered

The tank has been fairly stable as I get to grips with it. The KH Director really is an excellent bit of kit.

I have added a pair of Lineatus Wrasse, a Phantom Blenny (I've wanted another one of these for ages - it was one of the first fish I got but jumped eventually) and a load of cleanup crew. My Clowns have increased by what seems at least a third in size. I also had to add a Cleaner Wrasse as my Powder Blue Tang still hasn't shaken the ich that came back on. He's still eating and fat so I expect him to pull through. It's happened before, although not for a couple of years.

The only problem is that I cannot get Phosphate above 0-0.01 and Nitrate will not go above a maximum of 0.2. I'm using ATI Nutrition CNP and following their guidance and I think it seems to be doing ok.

I added a few coral frags to see how they go but the tank has only been going a short while so we'll see what happens.

Some algae growth but nothing crazy and the snails, urchins and Blenny should keep it under control so I'm going to see how it plays out.

Some pictures, taken under blues... I've got to dig out my proper camera at some point...

IMG_1829.jpg IMG_2796.jpg IMG_6629.jpg IMG_6724.jpg IMG_6775.jpg IMG_7561.jpg IMG_7701.jpg IMG_9995.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice