1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Cycling With Live Rock

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by damo666, Oct 21, 2018.

1. damo666

damo666 Registered

Set up a new tank that was meant to be an upgrade, my lad having my tank and equipment once livestock and rock was moved across. Due to work issues, self employed, work on the upgrade was taking an age. So gave him everything, I called it frustration avoidance. New set up is a used 4x2x2' tank and cabinet which I redid the cabinet from black to oak, changed wier, background, pipework and made alterations to the sump, probably took 5 months as done bit by slowly bit lol.
    Filled it end of September, salt added 3rd October, live rock 5th. Been testing every 3 days or so. Been using aquavitro seed as well, lfs advised it would speed things along. Haven't seen ammonia raise above 0.2ppm, lowest reading on redsea kit. Curiously tho haven't seen any nitrite at all. Now I'm seeing a nitrate spike so to speak, quite surprised tbh as it was 50. So much so I did a test on my r/o but that gave no reading. I did add some chaeto ordered online, wasn't great when it arrived, died off pretty fast. Last weekend got some through my lfs, tumbling around nicely and is a nice lush green. This is only the second tank I've cycled, both with live rock from lfs. I was told the rock was fully cured. Any thoughts on why I haven't seen any nitrite yet have very small ammonia and nitrates? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

The rise in nitrates means you must have had an ammonia and nitrite spike, chances are you’ve missed it between tests.
    Sounds like it’s cycling nicely.

3. damo666

damo666 Registered

Thanks for your reply. Do I now do a series of water changes, I was thinking 50ltrs every 3 days, to lower the nitrates? Or should I leave it to "feed" the chaeto? Also, do I wait until I get a zero ammonia reading before introducing either cuc or first fish? As usual, some say fish first I've also read I should get my chosen cuc established first, tho not sure what they'd be cleaning up unless I introduce a small amount of food.

4. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Wait until ammonia is zero and nitrite is zero then do a decent water change, 20% or so, test after a couple of days and if still zero and nitrate is falling you could add some cuc. Wait a week 10% water change, test again and if nitrate is still falling you should be good to add a fish or two,, :):)

5. damo666

damo666 Registered

Cheers. Appreciate your help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice