1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Cycling Question

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Nurquelle, Aug 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nurquelle

Nurquelle Registered

Just a quick question. I've recently set up a new tank, given that my old 7ft set up was cycled 10 years ago it's been a while and I'm a bit rusty. Downsized to an Aqua One 110liter set up with 2 small wavemaker powerheads, LED lighting, heater and external filter. Starting off with ocean rock and sand, no friends about to seed some sand or rock from and none of my LFS selling live rock with one telling me it's banned now? Not sure how true that is.
    Either way given what sand / rock I'm starting with LFS suggested I use API quick start at double the dose and chuck in some food as I wouldn't be ready for cuc or fish for about a week, so I dropped some frozen misis shrimp in there, this was on the 16/8/19. My parameters since then have been;

16th - P.H 7.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0

17th - P.H 8.2, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5

18th - P.H 8.4, Ammonia .50, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10

19th P.H 7.8, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10

20th - P.H 7.4, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 0.25, Nitrate 10

I have been using API tests.

My question is are things moving in the right direction and am I right to be worried about the fluctuating PH?

2. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

definitely moving in the right direction

do you know what time of day you tested

ph normally varies day to night

3. Nurquelle

Nurquelle Registered

Ah some have been in the morning and some at night. I'll start testing at the same time. Do I need to continue to put food in the tank for the ammonia or shall I leave alone now and just monitor? Thankyou :)

4. jim_fitz

carry on testing and post again in a few days

please dont rush this part

its one of the most important things to get right

5. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Yes it all looks Good, ammonia rising and falling followed by nitrate rising, without the help of live rock you will have to rely on water changes to control nitrates but that’s no big problem on 110 litres,
    Only thing I would change is the test kits, api are not particularly accurate, at the very least get hold of a salifert ammonia kit,
    Don’t worry about the ph, it will fluctuate with a new tank,I don’t know of anybody that actually tests it,

6. Nurquelle

Nurquelle Registered

Thankyou for the advice :) so should I do water changes during cycling?

7. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

No I wouldn’t do a water change until ammonia and nitrite is back down to zero.
    Where are you from, there maybe someone reasonably local that can let you have some sand from an established tank.

8. fuzzyferret83

fuzzyferret83 Registered

Things are starting to happen but building up a bacterial colony large enough to support fish is going to take an age feeding the tank a little bit of food each day.

Get a few prawns into a media bag or similar and drop into the water. They will start decaying and releasing ammonia pretty quickly and will give you a decent ammonia spike. Once this happens remove them and test til ammonia and nitrite are 0. You can then do a water change to bring down nitrates.

As regards to ph it will fluctuate throughout the day but all readings within an acceptable range so no need to worry.

9. Nurquelle

Nurquelle Registered

Okay so I chucked a few prawns in on Tuesday and tested the water today. Both ammonia and Nitrite are at 0.5ppm, could this be due to the API Quick start being used? Bit confused as to why there hasnt been much of an ammonia spike yet

10. fuzzyferret83

fuzzyferret83 Registered

What's your nitrate reading. Its possible that you've missed the big ammonia spike. If nitrates have increased this is probably the case.

11. jim_fitz

Prawns etc can take a while to break down

12. fuzzyferret83

fuzzyferret83 Registered

Pretty quick to start breaking down at 26 degrees and certainly will within 3 days. Try leaving some on your kitchen side for 3 days the smell will prove it.

13. Nurquelle

Nurquelle Registered

Brilliant thankyou my nitrate are sitting at between 10 and 20 ATM

14. jim_fitz

there are quicker ways though of getting ammonia into a system

15. fuzzyferret83

fuzzyferret83 Registered

Yeah a bottle of ammonia, get the amount wrong though and your screwed.

jim_fitz likes this.
  16. fuzzyferret83

fuzzyferret83 Registered

Tank is cycling then. Remove prawns tomorrow and test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate daily. Once ammonia and nitrite are 0 tank should be cycled. Do a water change to bring down nitrate the next day. Then the following morning stick a prawn in for 24 hours. Remove after 24 hours then test ammonia and nitrite 12 hours later. Ammonia should be 0 and nitrite not far from it if tank is cycled. If all is good another water change to lower nitrate and your good to stock.

doug_amanda likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice