1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured cyano

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Richiedce, May 28, 2013.

1. Richiedce

Richiedce Registered

Right i have put a thread on here recently about the horrible stuff, i have also read recent threads, looked at articles in my magazine and researched it

I dont think there is a right answer on how to get rid of the stuff!!

I have had this tank running for about 3months now, could be a new tank thing but ive seen people on here with established tanks suffering from it

So people have said, either low flow, too much light, old bulbs that need changing, nutrients ect

So im going to try a few things to see what works and what the main cause of it is in my tank and maybe it can help others....

So im firstly reducing light massively, by only having the blue/purple lamp on for a few hrs a day, to help my soft corals mainly... i am going to try this for 3days

Below is what it looks like at the mo

2. Richiedce

Richiedce Registered

3. ged@fishnochips

[email protected] Registered

I had this on my new upgrade in January, it burnt itself out after about 10 / 12 weeks or so.

4. PaulW

PaulW Registered

red slime remover worked for me...1st time :)

5. Richiedce

Richiedce Registered

As you can see, its covering alot of the sand and is in patches on some of my rock

I kept siphoning it off when do a water change, but it just came back worse

I have purigen in my sump along with chaeto algae, which i am going to keep under light for longer.

My sump was quite full up with water, i have reduced it to the normal water level, leaving it to cascade into my 2nd chamber, producing more flow around my sump and through the purigen & chaeto

I am also running my skimmer on a wet skim to take a nutrients quicker

See pics below

6. Richiedce

Richiedce Registered

7. Richiedce

Richiedce Registered

I wanted to avoid adding chemicals for now

next step will be too add more flow if this doesnt work, although i think i have enough flow at 5000lph for a 250l tank!

Might reduce feeding to once a day instead of 2-3 times and take algae grazer out

8. signalman

signalman Registered

Used Chemiclean red slime remover and all was gone after 2 days. That was about 4 months ago and still no sign of it coming back. I tried all sorts to try and sort it naturally but give up in the end and went the chemical way. Not regretted it one bit.

9. Wilson

Wilson Registered

Sorry to hijack but has anybody found a cyano remover product that doesn't require you to run a skimmer?

Cheers.

10. Richiedce

Richiedce Registered

Where do u get this chemi-clean from?

11. signalman

signalman Registered

I got mine off ebay. Think it was about £17. It says to turn your skimmer off whilst using because the skimmer goes crazy but I just removed the cup. Better to leave it running to stop oxygen depletion.

12. snapper

snapper Registered

Hey, can I see a piece of foam in your sump or is it filter wool? If its foam bin it now or ensure you wash it out well twice a week. The cyano cleaner is usually a band aid fix. Nature is telling you something when you get cyno, areas may not be getting enough flow, a build up of detritus on you LR, too many nutrient's etc etc. Try and get your return flow to the bottom of the tank remember to incorporate a small leak off tube above the water level though or it'll be flood time. Use a good carbon as well, use a phos remover, kill its food which may well be present in the sand and new rockwork anyway, whats your stats? make sure your PH, dkh are within limits and stable as poss, have you No3s or phos readings. Have you any stock in yet? the system is maturing and to bio load it or use a form of external bio material will upset your system, don't look at cyno as the evil its portrayed as its telling you things arnt right. good luck bud.

13. signalman

signalman Registered

With chemi clean it says to turn your skimmer off, I should imagine all red slime removers say this. If you run a setup without a skimmer you should add an air stone or create more turbulence at the surface.I left my skimmer running but the cup was filling up in minutes with a very thin skimmate. Removing the cup solved this.

14. snapper

snapper Registered

If I do understand how the slime removers work as in introducing some sort of carbon source to produce extra bacteria to eat the nutrients which the cyno feed on you can always use a bioactive salt, I know of two: Tropic Marin Bio-Actif which I can say is the best salt I've ever used and there's aquaforest (think that's how you spell it?) you'll have to look that one up, that's why in MOST cases your cyno comes back as you've treated the symptoms and not the cause, my view only been there years ago. I only know that aqua medics product (antired) is a carbon source because I asked and they told me, I cant say for other brands.

15. Wilson

Wilson Registered

I have moved my carbon in to more direct flow in the DT now. It was in my sump but not getting the flow it is now, so hopefully this might have some impact on it.

16. Newreefer

Newreefer Registered

I think most cyano removers are actually antibiotics - Erythromycin. Cyano is a bacteria and so adding antibiotics kills it directly. In my research there are plenty of successes of using them, but there are also horror stories. I had cyano following my recent upgrade. My parameters were spot on so I put it down to 'new tank syndrome'...whatever that is. After a few weeks it burnt itself out and hasn't come back since.

IMO, it's not doing any real harm so you can take your time going through the exercise of ruling out the possible causes before you put something in your tank that you don't understand.

Good luck

Matt

17. Richiedce

Richiedce Registered

You talk about carbon, i heard that putting in carbon makes cyano worse?! I am trying to keep my dkh above 9 at the moment, my ph stays the same at 8. I am showing next to 0 nitrates & phosphates.

It is filter floss pads in my sump which i rinse in old tank water every week

18. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

No. Some require you to run skimmer. You must add oxygen to the water.

19. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

Adding carbon as a food sources does yes ie vodka dosing. Adding aminos etc can also have the same effect actually promoting the cyano in the absence of the good bacteria. Cyano is quicker at nutrient uptake and a very versatile bacteria.

20. adamandlucy86

adamandlucy86 Registered

i have cyano starting in my tank also but apparantly it can just be part ansld parcel of a new setup. not heard of carbon causing it, is this true? and should i turn my carbon reactor off?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice