1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Correct install of bulkhead fitting

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by riksworld, Jul 8, 2017.

1. riksworld

riksworld Registered

Morning all,

Seeing as I never got any instructions with my pipework kit. Big Thumbs Up

Below is a picture of one of the bulkhead fitting's, I am assuming I've got it right, but before I fit and risk flooding the house with over 600 litres of water, I would double check as the wife will kill me.

As you can see from the picture below, there are 2 gaskets, 1 white, 1 black.

The black one is a normal rubber gasket, the white on is sold ridged piece of plastic.

I am assuming the white one goes under the tank and the black one goes inside the weir, or am I wrong and both go in the weir?

Thanks again to all who helps.

20170707_140958.jpg

2. Realist

Realist Registered

When I did my pipe work I left it as it came supplied and as long as it's done up tight and rage rubber seals not deformed you'll be ok.

You could also run a bead of mastic both sides to create an additional seal.

Best wishes.

3. riksworld

riksworld Registered

Thanks realist

Does that mean the white seal goes under the tank and the black one inside the weir.

4. Realist

Realist Registered

As long as you have a tight seal you'll be ok and what I did as well was fill the weir with water first test for leaks etc if that's ok test fill the tank and check again.

Best wishes bud.

5. mgreenough

mgreenough Registered

Black rubber inside and white plastic outside (underneath), the key is do not overtighten. Many people have done it the other way, but as long as you have a good seal you should be ok. As the weir does not have the vast water pressure like an open tank, it means less pressure on the fittings.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice