1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Corals & Skimmers

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by StarfishEnterprise, Feb 9, 2014.

1. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

Something that's been bothering me for a while now and iv been thinking over and over.....

If you have a tank full of corals (virtually no fish if any), would you/do you use a skimmer? & why?

2. chippie2002

chippie2002 Registered

Why wouldn't you? and what is 'loads of corals?' Surely the corals take what they need ad the skimmer removes the rest? I don't believe the skimmer nor the flow in the tank can clean all the water

3. StarfishEnterprise

My point being wouldn't the skimmer be counter productive?

4. PaulW

PaulW Registered

I agree no fish means no waste so skimmer needed really, when I was down to 1 fish the skimmer stopped producing skimate anyway..

5. chippie2002

chippie2002 Registered

But surely you'd still need to feed the corals?

6. PaulW

PaulW Registered

Yes but there wouldn't be imo enough waste to warrant a skimmer..

7. StarfishEnterprise

Yes you would need to feed the corals.

I don't run a skimmer but i only have a pipefish and now a wrasse in 130L of water. I run Miracle Mud so i don't feel the need to skim but if i had no would i need to skim?

8. PaulW

PaulW Registered

From experience, no. Just water changes

9. chippie2002

chippie2002 Registered

Ahh. I didn't realise you had MM too. Mind you, I still use my skimmer and I most likely would even of I removed all my fish, even though I've got a nice layer of MM.

I remember seeing a coral only tank - sps and Lps, and the guy was feeding a big handful of lobster eggs and other foods daily. He also ran a hefty skimmer. No idea on the output though, but the tank looked amazing.

10. StarfishEnterprise

In that case.....................In theory.......................................... would a tank full of corals need any filtration at all?

11. chippie2002

chippie2002 Registered

I would say no... But then again what do I know?? On the other hand, the skimmer does 2 jobs... It removes dissolves matter and adds O2 to the water....

Would the pumps alone do that? Maybe... Where you going with this?

12. PaulW

PaulW Registered

Nope, just elements replacing. If there's nothing polluting the water why would it need to be filtered?

13. StarfishEnterprise

Almost all the coral bays iv seen in LFS, on the net etc etc run huge skimmers and iv always thought, why? & then i got thinking what is the minimum requirements to keep SPS.........

just thought id see what others thought

14. chippie2002

chippie2002 Registered

That's true. Even one of my LFS has added a load of V2's and when I confronted him about why... His response was 'we'll, I had them lying around, so I thought I'd stick them on. And also, customers see them and ask what they are... Eventually they buy one'.

This is from an owner who cut down on water changes and doesn't even run any sump media.

15. Jamie@Vertex

[email protected] Registered

Looking at a skimmer as a tool, then one simply needs to consider what it does for the tank. Skimmate is only part, with the constant air influx being a huge part of its overall influence on the biosystem.

From my own experience, a skimmer is always a good item to use. No exception found to date. Required, that is another thing. If you can get as much air into your water without and do not require the skimming action, then you could.

I run a test tank at the moment with but two fish and various corals, plus a skimmer and biopellets. The skimmer is a must, as the pellets produce bacteria which must be harvested. In a tank with only corals, you will need to feed the corals heavily, which mean the bacteria load will be quite high to begin with. Even without the pellets, you would have a good amount of bacteria.

In theory, you may get a balance, but for how long? The corals grow, you are human and....a skimmer is your best friend!

All theory aside, skimmerless doesn't make sense to me, even though it is possible to go without. Going without will not make the tank easier to maintain, IMO. Water changes may be your only nutrient export in the end. I think you would find yourself skimmer shopping after about 6-12 months, depending on you ability to maintain the growing community. Also adding some fish! Otherwise go for plastic corals and chlorinated water, like they do in many restaurant displays!

16. StarfishEnterprise

OK so looking at what you say Jamie, a skimmer is a must? Yet myself and several others don't use skimmers and many of those tanks are far more heavily stocked than mine.
    [MENTION=11463]Clearwater[/MENTION] [MENTION=11400]killi[/MENTION] [MENTION=12924]jamesfirth1[/MENTION] to name but a few.

Obviously with bio pellets skimmers are a must as your working on a pro-bio system. But if your tank contains just corals and you feed heavily and as you say a skimmer is a must wouldn't you be extracting that very food source that your adding?

What did we do before skimmers?

Skimmerless may not make sense to you but its relatively simple, you have a system with out a skimmer. And a skimmer is hardly hard work in terms of maintenance. Would you need to do water changes? Many folk don't, in my case i have to as i run Balling Lite. But with a calcium reactor that's something that can be cheated on? Personally im not a huge fan of fish, iv always enjoyed the corals and inverts more, this allows what fish i do stock a larger less crowded expanse to call home. As for plastic corals and chlorinated water, well that's just ridiculous Imo

17. Jamie@Vertex

[email protected] Registered

I take it you misunderstood me. As I stated, a skimmer is a tool. It does more than skim. Consider these principles and decide how you are going to get around this or the limits thus applied. In the end, it is your choice.

After using skimmers for almost 40 years (yes, we had them back then! We refered to them as 'urine removal devices'. Then came Sander's.), their pluses are simply too good to try and get around them.

I get the feeling many want to 'prove' something, such as 'I can keep my tank with almost no equipment', be it a skimmer, proper lighting, water changes, additives, etc. Why? It is a temproary success, as most (I think all) of these systems that skimp on the basics fail, depending on how well they are generally maintained. I think the original question is valid. I think trying to justify it is a bit non-productive. I have run tanks without skimmers, but with a skimmer is simply much better, from my experience.

cheers,

Jamie

18. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

there are many ways to skin a cat

all animals though produce waste, so something needs to be done

remember the old adage - the solution to pollution is dilution - therefore water changes would suffice

19. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

been running mine for ages now with no skimmer, no water changes, tank full of coral and fish..

20. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

to me the real beauty of a skimmer is how quickly the react (without any intervention)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice