1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Corals bleaching help?

Discussion in 'Coral Information and Help' started by vwjunkie, Aug 5, 2017.

1. vwjunkie

vwjunkie Registered

Hi folks. I was wondering if anyone can help diagnose my problem. A couple of my corals seem to be bleaching as in the pictures below. I am not sure how to remedy the problem as I can't seem to isolate a cause. I thought they may be getting too much light so I turned my lights down for a few weeks but the problem has persisted. I did a bit of reading up on various websites and it seems bleaching can be caused by too little light as well as a number of other factors. Also, a hole has appeared in one of the bleaching maze corals. Tank is a mature (18 months +) Red Sea Reefer 170, Deltec skimmer, Rowaphos reactor and single TMC iLumenAir 600 LED light. Parameters are good and pretty stable, Ca 450 Mg 1350 Alk 10.5kh Phosphates 0.02 Nitrates usually barely detectable, Sal 1.026 and Temp 26-26.5c. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to a cause and possible action to take.....other. Daisy coral and Gsp both thriving.
    Thanks for looking, cheers!!Big Thumbs Up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  2. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

What is your light schedule?

3. 372xp

372xp Registered

How do you know it is 26.5? Bleaching can be due to a number of things, not least of which is temperature. Something has caused the corals to expell zoxanthellae and now they are starving. This is not easily reversible, since a sick coral will react as badly to sudden changes in conditions as a healthy one. Check your temp and try to get nitrates to at least 0.5.

4. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

[MENTION=11471]screwloose[/MENTION] might help here

5. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

I'd be looking to check your potassium levels, as montis turning white is usually a symptom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Congrats Rob :clap:

7. 372xp

372xp Registered

K(potassium) is one of the most abundant ions that make up sea water. So unless you never do a water change and your tank is so stuffed with corals this is unlikely to be the source of 'bleaching'. As I said above temperature lack of nutrients or too much light ( over 140par for montipora) are the most likely cause.
    Check your K by all means and adjust if necessary and hopefully this will resolve the issue.
    Montipora is a very hardy coral, I had a plate go nearly all white when I was running ULNS but it came right back when I went back to a normal set up ( phos <0.025 nitrate 0.3).

8. vwjunkie

vwjunkie Registered

Hi, thanks for the replies....

Light schedule is, with 0 to 32 being full power
    Dawn 1 hour, White 01 Blue 02 Red 02
    Sunrise 1 hour White 04 Blue 10 Red 0
    Daylight 7 hours White 24 Blue 28 Red 0
    Sundown 1 hour White 12 Blue 12 Red 2
    Night 4 hours White 2 Blue 12 Red 0

Temp is between 26/26.5 on a glass thermometer, RODI probe and heater display, so I have to take that as almost accurate, what other way is there to know?

I dont test for Potassium, I wasnt aware I should test for this......I ***e Microbe Lift All In One, as well as Ca Mg and Alk, but Potassium is not listed as an ingredient among the trace elements included.

How do I aim for slightly higher nitrates?

What about the hole? Could this be some kind of unwelcome guest? All my corals are dipped before adding to the tank.

Cheers.

9. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Tank is 18 months old? try stirring your sand a bit

10. 372xp

372xp Registered

The hole, I'm thinking, could be a mouth. SPS is my specialty, LPS are are not as straightforward. This could be a tear in the soft tissue, if so you would notice either necrosis or healing ( both will be obvious). If it's a mouth it's a big one and stuck open. Can you get a better close up.

11. screwloose

screwloose Registered

The hole looks likely to be a gall crab, the coral recession could be a host of things from nutrients high/low....I know the. P04 says its low ...but usually still isn't.

I don't know the light so hard to comment, I. Did however try the earlier version of the razer and found it poor.

The maze could also be getting attacked from another coral that was close.

Plate could be loads of things.

But my guess is not enough light,

I doubt its nutrients too low as gsp etc, is ok.....the main light dependant coral is the plate

- - - Updated - - -

The hole looks likely to be a gall crab, the coral recession could be a host of things from nutrients high/low....I know the. P04 says its low ...but usually still isn't.

I don't know the light so hard to comment, I. Did however try the earlier version of the razer and found it poor.

The maze could also be getting attacked from another coral that was close.

Plate could be loads of things.

But my guess is not enough light,

I doubt its nutrients too low as gsp etc, is ok.....the main light dependant coral is the plate

12. vwjunkie

vwjunkie Registered

Thanks for your input.....this is as close as I could get.
    Does my lighting schedule seem ok?

[​IMG]

13. vwjunkie

vwjunkie Registered

Thanks..... I have had a quick search online of Gall Crabs.....they dont seem too problematic from what I read, would you recommend to leave it or try and get it out? Would dipping the coral again have any benefit, or do further damage?
    The plating Monti....should I move it closer to the surface as it is place very low just now.....I have also increased the light ouptut on the daylight period.
    This is all worrying but fascinating to learn at the same time.....although, the thought of my light not being of much use and having to spend on another isnt so great.....

I shall monitor any changes and update here......again, much appreciation of everyone's your help

edit.....I sat watching the hole closely for a while and can indeed, see something moving near the opening....in fact on closer inspection of the above pic, I think you can see the little bugger.....there looks to be two tiny stripy legs or pincers......

Where would he have come from??

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  14. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Can you remove the coral into a tub of tank water and grab the little bugger with a pair of tweezers,

15. screwloose

screwloose Registered

I wouldn't necessarily up the light, maybe extend the time it's on ?

I'm not saying it's rubbish, but may struggle with some sps Big Thumbs Up

If it's not doing any harm i would leave it....

Maybe also try some specific lps/sps feeds too

16. 372xp

372xp Registered

I had the big iLuminaire a couple of years ago. It is a good unit, what is not great is the amount of options available to the user. This inevitably leads to a lot of fiddling. The PAR levels may well be good but the spectrum could be al over the place and vice versa. The schedule looks fine, dawn and dusk are just gimmicks from TMC (the sun rises and sets very fast on the equator) so maybe bin these and merge slowly into day and night.
    That does look like damage to me. A Dettol dip (5%) may flush out any pests.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice