1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Coral Shop test kits ?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by jas, Jun 2, 2012.

1. jas

jas Registered

Hello, a guy from France opened a LFS here and most of his merch. is european. Blau and Coral Shop. We are not familiar with the reputation for these brands. I am particularly interested in Coral shop potassium test and curious about the Coral shop Organics test.
    First does anyone knoe if the tests are accurate and why would I test for organics? if it would lead me to improve the adjustment of my skimmer, or do a water change, I suppose it could be useful. thanks

2. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

Job3rts (James) will probably know this one as he lives in Le France Big Thumbs Up

3. jas

jas Registered

Coral Shop potassium test kit- 10/10, I'm not certain if it is as accurate as it claims +/- 8ppm. But if it is I can't imagine anything easyer for testing "K". My Red Sea "K" test kit is going to collect dust now.

4. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Phew - Not me then :)
    Sadly I do not know of these products other than they exist and I knew of coral shop products by name when I lived in the UK.

But looking at the pics, I am sold. Gloves, multiple syringes and some funky looking vials has my vote.

Sorry I cannot help you more, but I am sure that "Tank Tests" who are a free ad on here used to sell them before switching to Elos. Might be worth asking for their opinion.

5. jas

jas Registered

Ya I came close to buying the Elos "K" test, but it was not very good in web reviews, apparently the color card just gives you a vague ballpark result.

6. killi

killi Moderator & Jedi Master

Hi Jas
    i have been looking for a link for you, that i read not so long ago ,basically the Elos kits came out the most accurate,

7. jas

jas Registered

Well, thanks for your time, but check out the color chart in this review of the Elos Elos Potassium Test Kit Review | AquaNerd I found 3 other bad reviews, but the color chart was a huge turn-off for me. I can't figure out why it would be designed in incriments of 50 ppm with a faded changing in between. Looks like a $50 guessing game :b

8. soymilk

soymilk Registered

Hi,

I actually wrote that article from aquanerd. I wanted to point out that the color scale is from the KZ potassium kit and not from the elos. I was posting the picture to compare the two different charts between kz and elos. The elos was a lot easier to use than a lot of other kits out there. If you have any questions about that review let me know.

Potassium is probably not an element you should have to worry about testing unless you're running zeovit or perhaps a different probiotic system.

Cheers,
    Trung

9. Neil

Neil Registered

looks so the elos is a sediment test not colour so more sediment you get at the bottom of the test tube the higher the potassium is

10. jas

jas Registered

Sorry about my misinterpretation, you wrote a good article, I must have went through it too quickly. In any case, I bought the coral shop kit, and its easy to use and read, so i'm fine with it.

11. bluesea

bluesea Registered

Just thought I would let you know that I have still got and used three of the coral shop test kits, calc, mag, and alk. The alk is not bad but the calc and mag found really high readings so tested with fauna multi ref and they do test high, the syringes and the glass mixing containers are great though. I also have used their two part salt, but gave up as I found it hard to keep levels stable.

12. jas

jas Registered

Could be, in my Red Sea K test I filter out the precipitate then do the color test, that is skipped in the Coral shop K test. It makes it a lot faster and the test was about 50ppm higher than Red Sea. Not sure which is more accurate, though the CS is super quick and easy. If I find the Red Sea to be more accurate, I will use CS and subtract 50 ppm from the result.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice