1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Coral food

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by leopardshark, Sep 10, 2015.

1. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Ok am thinking about feeding my corals at night aswell as in the day.

Can anyone recommend a good brand of coral food..

2. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

I use Red Sea energy a and b and seeing good growth. Tank only been going for just under 3 weeks although have not started from scratch.

Once I have set up dosing pumps I plan to dose both with majority throughout night when they seem to feed more.

3. warby

warby Registered

Was using red sea a and b didn't notice any difference so stopped dosing.. the main thing that feeds my corals is fish poo. Other then the bits of frozen the lps catch :)

4. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

I have just started to use gonipower once a week and the day before a water change as it is full of nutrients and the skimmer goes nuts. Too early to say if works but a couple of LFS use it and when I have seen it in action the corals react and not just goni''s or acropora but acans, trackys and bubbles too

An interesting subject as I have upgraded my tank recently from a 125l to 450L and have seen an acceleration in growth in most corals that is probably due to water stability, filtration as now have a 1000l skimmer, sump with a bigger reactor and better flow than before. I see the reef energy as something to keep them healthy. From what I have seen during the past 12 months if the above is good then they will grow.

Paul

5. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

D&D. Paste or sps powder, or lps powder, depending on whats in your tank really. Also depending on what levels your nitrates are at, you may benefit from red sea A&B. If your running ULN system then you will see improvements with A&B, if your nitrates are around 5-10 or higher, then you probably wont see much if any at all. As the majority of the trace elements will come from your water changes a long with the nitrates in the tank.

6. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

What is ULN system, I am sure it is obvious but cannot work it out.

7. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Ultra Low Nutrient. basically you keep your corals within an inch of death from starvation... lol.

8. Eyore

Eyore Guest

Fwiw i have never seen any benefit from feeding any type of coral food/ amino acid

For me dissolving frozen food in a little tank water and feeding all this dirty water when the fish are fed is useful to coral, and its free

9. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Yeah but what about night feeds ? Can I feed phyto ?

Out of the bottle ??

10. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

Coral Frenzy!

11. chippypah

chippypah Registered

I use BCUK frozen coral food and they love it.

12. frazzle121180

frazzle121180 Registered

[MENTION=19433]Enzogobby[/MENTION]
    Out of curiosity bud how much powder do you put in you tub of water too mix?
    I know it's meant to be like quarter of a tea spoon but to me that never seems to be enough and I tend to use more

13. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

Hiya; more like a half levelled teaspoon in a glass of tank water mixing for a minute or two; this is for 300L tank...but don't forget that some particles are really small and with good flow around tank and through corals / filter feeders, you'll minimise the waste of it.

14. mgreenough

mgreenough Registered

I use one capfull of seachem reef phyto plankton once a week at night. Everything opens up once it hits the water.

15. frazzle121180

frazzle121180 Registered

Yeah I've got some phytoplankton I use a few times a week as well, usually pop it in before I go to bed

16. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

I use it 2 times a day is that 2 much ????????

17. frazzle121180

frazzle121180 Registered

Dunno mate can they get too much??

18. mgreenough

mgreenough Registered

Depends, if you start seeing algae growing then yes. But if your tank looks nice clear and healthy then no.

The excess may be takenout via your skimmer as phyto plankton stays suspended in the water column more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice