1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Communication Problems With Coral Culture

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by [email protected], Mar 28, 2012.

1. Simon@coralsworkshop

[email protected] Registered

I placed an order with coral culture for about 200 quids worth of goods and waited patiently for them to arrive. after about a week i thought id give them a call to see where it had gotten to only to find they dont give you a contact number on the website. (What sort of company donsnt want to talk to there customers?) the only way to contact them is through email, now i dont know about you guys but i rarely use my email account these days, certainly not my private one anyhow, what with all the junk mail and the rise of social networking sites like facebook. Anyway, I checked my mail and then found that the order had not even been processed with a note from CoralCulture explaining that they didnt have all the products in stock and that they would send them out when i had given them an answer. So this message has been sat in my in box for a week, with a warning that it may take several days to be picked up.

This is so frustrating! does anyone else have problems with any of these companies and should we set up a thread for poor service companies like coral culture? maybe we could rate companies?

This is such a simple issue for Cural Culture to fix. dont list product as in stock if they are not and give us a contact number!! or even just give me a call if you have made a cock up!:aggressive:

any thoughts?

2. Chris J

Chris J Registered

To be fair what other means did they have of contacting you apart from email?

3. Herb

Herb Registered

Whilst listing stock that you haven't actually got in doesn't sit right with me - I can't believe you ordered something online, and then didn't check your email for a confirmation?

Also, was it corals you ordered? I wouldn't expect any livestock to be delivered without actually confirming with me the delivery date.

4. Chris J

Chris J Registered

If you look at that site and the amount of expensive calcium reactors, skimmers etc I wouldn't expect them to have all those in stock. I agree that they should show what they do have in stock though.

As said I would always check my emails after ordering something online as well.

5. ged@fishnochips

Every shop that sells stuff online should have a list of active stock.

If I ordered something, I would want it the next day, and not expect to wait for it whatsoever, unless it was a preorder. The OP has a very valid point.

If I knew I couldn't get it the next day, then quite simply all I would do is visit another retailer that does have it in stock.

Websites that give the impression it is all instock are just wrong, and they shouldn't have to take the person money until they have it in stock, why should the customer have to wait for them to buy it from his money?

Amazon are the perfect example of how an online webshop should be, next day delivery, and if not instock no money is debited until it is instock.

6. Simon@coralsworkshop

They have my telephone number? A small retail company like this needs to look after their customers. They should have phoned me, apologised for the error and then asked me how i would like to proceed. Thats what i would do with my customers. I own 2 companies and this is how we always contact customers, or with a letter, and the letter would have proper contact information on it, not just a email address.

It doesnt sit right with me either, and your absolutely right, when ordering from an unreliable source, I should have checked my email. I do a lot of business to business ordering and they wouldnt dare to just send me an email and hope that i pick it up in time, they would contact me straight off the bat, maybe its me and ive just become complacent? no corals ordered btw, just dry stock.

7. Neil

Neil Registered

IMHO check your email more often mate lol

The funny thing is that what's not in stock is for me LOL

8. Simon@coralsworkshop

Yeah, i totally agree with everything there. I guess im more angry with myself for ordering with a company that does not offer its telephone details. i should have checked that before ordering, not my emails after ordering.

9. Mitchell

Mitchell Registered

The kind that are trying to keep costs down by using technology to pass information back and forth between customers and suppliers?
    You need to come out of your cave my friend and embrace this electronic age we live in, with postage charges set to rocket traditional post will fast become obsolete.
    Sounds reasonable to me that they have advised you of the situation, stock shortfalls are a common event as companies hold less stock due to the current climate. Waiting for all the items to be available to ship together also keeps the delivery cost down if there supplier wont “drop ship”.
    This reminds me of my parents who turn on their mobile phones to make a call and then turn it back off again afterwards. I understand your frustration but come on be honest if your shopping online you should be checking your email for information about your order and if you didn’t know you do now!

Yes, but I’ll refrain and try and be constructive!

Internet shopping is not like visiting a bricks and mortar shop. Some internet stores only exist in cyberspace and don’t hold any stock at all. Orders are passed on to suppliers who in turn drop ship directly to the customer. Some internet shops do hold stock but with the economy being in the gutter companies have driven down stock levels to free up cash and so stock shortfalls occur more frequently.

In buying from the internet at possibly cheaper price than the bricks and mortar shop you should be taking advantage of lower prices but accept that it may be a faceless transaction conducted via email as the supplier does not want to pay someone to answer the phone as it will cost money which in turn will drive up there prices.

On a final note most likely all of the items you ordered from Coral Culture could have been ordered from your local bricks and mortar fish store helping them earn a margin on the sale and keep the doors open. I buy all my plumbing etc from Burscough Aquatics who will deliver, answer the phone and occasionally make me a coffee when I visit.

I don’t think you have been ripped off at all but I understand your frustrations.

10. Simon@coralsworkshop

yeah, its all your fault neil! :lol:

i just dont need to check my email anymore fella, its practically redundant. any company that practically rely on it as there only means of communication have some serious issues that need to be addressed, especially when that company is dealing directly to the public and they are having to compete with the big boys like ebay and amazon. The one thing they have that the others dont and thats customer care, its much easier for a smaller company to deal with their customers than it is the massive corporations.

11. Mitchell

Mitchell Registered

QUOTE=SmilesDental;1065573]

i just dont need to check my email anymore fella, its practically redundant.any company that practically rely on it as there only means of communicationhave some serious issues that need to be addressed, especially when thatcompany is dealing directly to the public and they are having to compete withthe big boys like ebay and amazon. The one thing they have that the others dontand thats customer care, its much easier for a smaller company todeal with their customers than it is the massive corporations.
    [/QUOTE]

Your missing the point, why did you originally purchase from Coral Culture? Price? The ability to see your products online and order at10pm at night? Being able to order all your items together?

The gripe you now have is not being able to telephone and talk to a person that in 99% of transactions is not required. If you want to beable to talk to a person expect to pay a higher price for the privilege asthere cost will be built in somewhere.

Without wanting to sound rude the problem with the transaction you outlined is you.

Companies that operate communication solely on web/email will survive because people will always be looking for the lowest price, it’s the bricks and mortar companies that will struggle as people buy the traditional bread and butter sales from the cheapest online shop.

12. frogeye

frogeye Registered

You speak a lot of sense my friend, nice one !

13. Simon@coralsworkshop

i disagree with that work ethic. they have just lost me as a customer, a courteous call doesnt cost much.

lol, come out of my cave? i think you'll find that its email thats becoming fast obsolete, im fully embraced ;)

fair comment, my thought go back to my previous comment. they just lost me as a customer and in this time of hardship they should be more upfront with what they do and dont hold as stock. But, these are yours and my opinion, its down to whether you want to build your company with loyal returning customers or make a quick return.

umm, dont see the conection here? i dont email people and then not check my emails... i placed an order online, why not just tell me they dont have it in stock on the same page that im ordering from? why do i have to wait until ive paid for something they dont have before they tell me?

I will continue to order online and i will continue to expect not to have to run around after that company to check to make sure they have done they job properly.

as for the rest of your reply, I totally agree with you chap. brick and mortar is the way to go, but here in swindon we only have maidenhead aquatics, dont get me started on them....:lol:

I also agree, i dont think ive been ripped off, but i do feel like ive been misled and messed about.:tongue:

14. cdelly

cdelly Registered

Totally agree with Mitchell

How many times have you had a phone call from a supplier on eBay? Personally never, I have received emails when there is a delay or problem.

Sent from my zx spectrum using Tapatalk HD

15. Simon@coralsworkshop

well, ill be totally honest with you here, it had nothing to do with price, im not short of a few bob and would prefer a good service to cheep prices and poor service. the reason i chose them is because i have delt with them in the past and had no problems. i dont really understand your point
    this has nothing to do with whether i purchase from coralculture or any other online shop, so its really just about the cost and the service.

I dont think the problem with the transaction is me, but fair comment and no offence taken ;)

16. liam0

liam0 Registered

So it had nowt to do with prices coz you're minted just to do with the costs? If you have dealt with them before then you should know how they operate and the would have contacted you via email for your previous order.

17. Neil

Neil Registered

So how do you know if anyone has reply to you threads ? As you can set up notification that will send an EMAIL to you but you won't no as you don't check your emails but that emplanes why you take so long to reply LOL

And knowing you your never more then 5 feet away from phone, PC etc why not check them at lest once a day lol

Your not going to talk to me again are you and I have already payed.you for my part of the CC order LOL

18. Simon@coralsworkshop

Yeah, spot on but you dont get many people on ebay selling products they dont have.... im not saying it dosent happen but if it did you get an estimated time of delivery, so you know where you are, and if the delivery time is too long, you choose someone else to order from. if they do mess you about, you can give them a bad rating, which brings me back to my original point. should we be rating these companies on the forum to give others a idea of how good the service is? I wouldnt order from an ebay seller with a poor rating, even if they were the cheapest.

Im not going to change my mind about whether i should check my email after every transaction, Ive already made that decision, as i said before, if the transation didnt go to plan, i would like a phone call to explain why.

Its what I expect, if others dont then thats fine, get your products a pound cheeper and dont have a good service, thats your decision, this is mine. my question is, could we have a simple database of companies with a pole for each of their services. it could be a list; Stock, Delivery, service, products, etc...

19. Mitchell

Mitchell Registered

Employing somebody to make that call does cost money.

Email may evolve into another form of electronic communication but sending bits of paper by hand is dead already. £.60p for afirst class stamp!

Why have they lost you as a customer? The terms andconditions of trade with Coral Culture have not changes only your understandingof them?

For what it’s worth I buy on the internet a lot and its one of the things I look for and call before ordering to make sure the phone line is answered not just listed.
    I don’t think it’s to do with a quick return its more to do with cold hearted business efficiency. Stock holding is none of your business (again no offence intended) as the supply chain has various channels for holding and distributing stock. What is your business is when stock is not delivered in the agreed time frame but in this case you were kept informed of the delay and given some options.

That’s exactly what you did, you placed an order electronically and then did not check from an electronic response just as my parents never check there voicemail!

The process could be you place and pay for your orderwith the online shop, the online shop then places there order with their supplier who probably says electronically sorry we are out of stock of that item today! You then get an email advising you of the stock shortfall.

Some ecommerce software has to have a stock holding valuefor it to publish it to the web in the first place, in reality this all happensvery quickly and more often them you will realize.
    I can understand that, when something goes wrong picking up the phone and talking to somebody is in my opinion the best way to resolve it unless of course you land in a call center!!!

Long live the LFS!

20. Simon@coralsworkshop

Ok guys, Update...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice