1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Colin's 46L Sumped Fluval Edge

Discussion in 'Pico Tanks (0-10gal)' started by Colin, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Colin

Colin Registered

We're already running a Miracle Mud sumped 23L Edge but with the new 46L model just released it seems like a good time to upgrade and solve a couple of problems at the same time.

93B69C14-632D-4706-9459-191BFE774F47.jpeg
    5E20344E-EF60-4C2B-90D1-A85A236F2C28.jpeg

We had been suffering with hair algae due to the sump having not kicked in so to speak, nitrates and phosphate were a little high. We had tried caulepra and cheato under an arcpod 11w light but no luck, tried LEDs energy saver bulbs, still died off. Finally a month ago we bought an Envirolight 125W and at last the cheato has taken off and the hair algae is dying and nitrates / phosphates are close to zero. The down side of this is the heat thrown out by this light, the sump cabinet door has been open ever since to try and keep it under control. Again as it happens the corner of the room where the tank is has become crowded so it seems like a good idea to move the sump to another corner of the room and put the tank on a smaller stand. We're hoping this arrangement will help wash off some of the excess heat, time will tell I guess.

So from our very limited experience there seems little in the way of disadvantage by proceeding with the remote sump and the new taller edge should provide better opportunities for aquascaping, again, time will tell. Over the last couple of weeks we have got hold of a new 46L Edge, piping etc. fans for cooling some glass to make an external weir box.

So the back of the opening has been cut to create the comb for the weir
    B50B64EC-5FF7-496D-A14F-4EE5358F18A0.jpeg

EB1FF19A-FDA9-4ABC-AE32-65AD16FFD621.jpeg

The glass was drilled to take twin pipes and the return from the sump before assembly
    Due to the space inside the weir box being extremely limited I decided to fit the pipework before sticking to the tank.
    AD934ED6-F17B-487B-869A-C8E1439C4736.jpeg

Finally for now, the box was stuck onto the back of the Edge
    FC478C3F-CB93-42F7-A985-51C8EC5DF4B6.jpeg

So for now that's it, will it work? I have no idea, will give it a wet test in a couple of days. For now it's time to build the new sump cabinet Hysterical

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2018
  2. Lolly7

Lolly7 Registered

:thumbup1: Great start, look forward to watching this one progress.

3. barracuda

barracuda Registered

Neat idea and neat work well done looks good.Big Thumbs Up

4. Colin

Colin Registered

Thank you :biggrin: Trying my best to keep it looking as it came out of the box. Got the sum cabinet built today so will bring it in tomorrow and try and get the main pipework sorted out ready for moving the sump to it's new location next weekend. Then off to the LFS for some more live rock

5. Colin

Colin Registered

Done a little work today found a mirror so drilled four holes in it and screwed it to the underside of the top of the cabinet as a reflector. Fitted two 12cm PC fans, one pulling cool air in across the top of the sump and another blowing hot air out at the opposite side. Finally I got some of the 1inch pipes for the feed back into the sump done, will get the rest of that done during the week.

The cabinet in light oak and black high gloss, I work presently in a factory which makes high gloss furniture so I had the panels cut on a CNC and foil wrapped

[​IMG]

The mirror screwed to the underside (sorry the picture is pants!

[​IMG]

Inside the cabinet with the two 12cm fans, holes for the pipework and the electrics

[​IMG]

6. ReefDuckk

ReefDuckk Registered

awesome, i want to sump my fluval edge but i wil have to keep the Livestock in their, have some ideas( miines the 23ltr)

7. ReefDuckk

ReefDuckk Registered

updates?

8. Colin

Colin Registered

Sorry!!! :-d
    Cabinet built, found a mirror so drilled four holes in it and screwed it to the underside of the top of the cabinet as a reflector. Fitted two 12cm PC fans, one pulling cool air in across the top of the sump and another blowing hot air out at the opposite side. Finally I got some of the 1inch pipes for the feed back into the sump done, will get the rest of that done during the week.

The cabinet in light oak and black high gloss, I work presently in a factory which makes high gloss furniture so I had the panels cut on a CNC and foil wrapped

[​IMG]

The mirror screwed to the underside (sorry the picture is pants!)

[​IMG]

Inside the cabinet with the two 12cm fans, holes for the pipework and the electrics

[​IMG]

9. Colin

Colin Registered

The weekend we changed over was a nightmare, Saturday morning started with realisation that the tubing I had ordered from that well know online auction site was a load of the proverbial, so after brief and embarrassing tantrum we shot off to the LFS to buy some decent pipe and some live rock, two hours later we got back and promptly started to swap over the tanks and move the sump. Four back breaking and wet hours later it was finished.

A couple of photos of the plumbing at the back of the tank and passing through the Edge's base

[​IMG]

The return plumbing into the tank with a tolerance fit for the Nanotuners light fitting

[​IMG]

10. Colin

Colin Registered

Had a few problems with the sump after the move, algae started choking the Cheato, I started breaking it up but I think I needed more circulation in there, probably the friction getting water from the remote sump to the tank had slowed it down. I ordered a Newave 1000 for the Edge so I moved the Koralia 900 into the sump to see if that helped, it did. The hair algae in the tank that was dying away nicely started growing again, even on one of the turbo snails that has now been named Neil

11. Colin

Colin Registered

Some pics to give an idea of what's happening

The top of the tank showing the return and the weir enclosed by the tanks back case. Just enough room for it all, the Nanotuners light fitting just squeezes in

[​IMG]

Side view showing everything hidden by the stock Edge cases and the hair algae at it's worst, it has receded quite a bit over the last couple of days

[​IMG]

Front view taken just now, the algae has disappeared a bit thank goodness

[​IMG]

FTS

[​IMG]

Close up of the scape showing the damned algae

[​IMG]

It's a lot better than it was, the new light has got the cheato growing so hopefully the phosphates are low now. Trouble is I only have an API test kit and it's useless for phosphate, it doesn't change colour at all when testing but the lowest test setting is 0.25 so I don't really have a clue how much is in there. I ordered a phosban reactor and a pump to really make sure, hopefully that will do the job once and for all? any help or advice gratefully received :-d

12. Colin

Colin Registered

Current update

We added a Phosban reactor a month or so ago to back up the Cheato and Caulerpa which has resurrected itself from the dead in the sump so we're well on top of the phosphates now. The GHA is getting less and less now, with luck it should be gone soon.

Got a couple of Aips popping up on the new live rock, I'm considering getting a peppermint shrimp from Fishman Frags to deal with them, would this be the best approach or should I try something else first?

This last few days I built a DIY auto top up device which seems to be working very well. It is far better than me topping up every day, a quick squirt now and again is far better than a litre or so once a day. Also Viking's DIY STC1000 temperature controller to replace the existing ATC300 to look after the cooling fans in the sump cabinet (thanks Viking!).

13. Dunny

Dunny Registered

Get peppermint shrimp for the aips mate but make sure they are true peppermint shrimps or they wont do anything. Mine cleaned up my few aips in a day or two.

14. Colin

Colin Registered

Thanks, that's what I have just done yesterday. Looks like one Aip has disappeared so fingers crossed the lot will be gone soon. They seemed to be spreading this last couple of weeks, or more likely the last month or two but only just showing.
    Now I have bubble algae appearing here and there, does it ever end??

15. Dunny

Dunny Registered

No mate it never ends I got rid of my aips and hair algae appeared :banghead:
    Keep on plodding on, it'll be worth it :)
    By the way I like the lighting have you got a link to it as I couldn't find one?
    Cheers

Sent from my rooted Galaxy S2

16. Colin

Colin Registered

I hope so, I do get a lot of pleasure out of the marine side but it is way more difficult that freshwater. Well it's time to read up on bubble algae now I guess Hysterical

I got the light from a company called Nanotuners or Nanocustoms in the states (same company, different names)but they ceased trading a few months ago after dicking everybody about. Shame as it's a nicely made bit of kit, definitely the best unit I've seen for the Edge

17. Dunny

Dunny Registered

Dammit! :mad: I'm trying to find a lighting alternative but they all seem few and far between, will end up trying to make my own at this rate, it does look good though. :D

Sent from my rooted Galaxy S2

18. avangels

avangels Registered

i really do like this new edge way more it just looks so much better for that extra bit of height Big Thumbs Up

19. Colin

Colin Registered

This one is very simple, just a heatsink with the LEDs screwed to it and a perspex lens with a perspex separator piece the same shape glued to it and screwed to the heatsink and a cooling fan. Two dimable drivers in a separate box and that's it really. It has 12 3W white LEDs and 6 3W royal blues so lots of light output though in hindsight I wished I had gone for 12 royal blues instead

20. Colin

Colin Registered

Me too, it lends itself much better to the marine side though than fresh water I think, I'm yet to see a really good planted tall Edge

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice