1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Clownfish Fry 0-72 Hrs

Discussion in 'Breeding & Aquaculture' started by dmc456, Mar 24, 2018.

1. dmc456

dmc456 Registered

I have a pair of Black Ice clowns that have been breeding every 10-11 day like clock work for the last 2 months.

I have been able to raise around 150 so far but having troubles with them dying in 12-48 hr period. Once I get past 72 hrs (3-days) I hardly every loose even one.

I have made the mistakes of not enough rotifers and also too many rotifers in the fry tank. I get 99% hatch rate the night they hatch. Usually 200-300 fry swimming the next morning. I'm getting it down to what I estate around 15 rotifers per ml.

My question now is on tank size, airflow, and rot density. I'm using a 5 gal tank and start around 3 gal at 1.025 sg. I lower it to 1.020 during the first 24 hrs with a drip. I have been using a rigid air line about 2-3 bubbles per second and it seem to not turn the water enough. What I see is a dense later of rotifers in the bottom 2" of the tank.

So today, I tried a air-stone with more airflow to mix them better and help with oxygen.

You that are breeding clownfish and getting 200-300+ thru meta per batch....what are you doing with airflow, rot density, and tank size?

2. keith123

keith123 Registered

You could try using a flat sided circular tank similar to those used for jellyfish but with slow air flow on one side to create a circular water motion in the tank. This will keep both rotifers and fish in constant motion and prevent either from dropping to the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

doug_amanda likes this.
  3. keith123

keith123 Registered

Just found a couple of pics of the tanks I used to use to raise fry.
    The first was home made, air was slowly fed in (about 2 bubbles a second) on the left side of the tank and this created a clockwise current in the tank. It was sufficient to keep the fry and the rotifers in suspension. Any detritus would fall to the bottom where there is a small drain (an air line) to draw this off.
    The 2nd pic is of a commercial aquarium which I used in exactly the same way but as a second stage grow-on tank. This worked by pumping water from a sump in by a small pipe fitted to the right of the tank this time still creating a clockwise current but with an overflow at the surface. The overflow water passing back down into the sump where it was filtered and recirculated. I hope this is of help [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

doug_amanda likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice