1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured clown in pipe what next

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by mike_n_linz, Apr 9, 2011.

1. mike_n_linz

mike_n_linz Registered

hi guys some of you no my clown went over the wier last week, well he has just gone over again i only relised as my pump thrown loads of air in the tank then i spotted the little clown missing again so i guessed he was in the pipe with the tap, lucky enough i used some wickes pipe connectors that i can undo which is infront of the tap/ball valve

so i started to undo the coupler an losen the pipe an ive never seen so much water go everywere i grabs the net an tips the pipe down an out he comes into the net

the problem ive got now is that i dont want to put him in the tank as he is gaspin, ive got him in the net floating in the tank an hes not doing much but if i hold his tail he trys to swim off

should i put him in the tank or give him an hour in the net to see how he looks

2. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

Personally mike i would put him back in to the tank. odds are he's gasping from the stress of it all and keeping him in the net is likely just to stress him more. Does he have any signs of injury or anything?

deb

3. Neil

Neil Registered

If the net is large enough for it to swim around a bit then it may be a good idea

4. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

ps, wouldnt grab his tail incase you damage that or his protective slime coating :wink:

5. Neil

Neil Registered

Also sounds so you need to make your weir fish prof

6. mike_n_linz

mike_n_linz Registered

no theres no sign of injury

the nets not the biggest but theres enough room for him to swin a little hes not making an attemp to swim in it though

should i just put him back in? he does keep moving his side fins thou

7. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

i would mate ;) especially if the net isnt that big. if he is looking like he cant swim properly then he should be easy enough to catch anyway :)

8. mike_n_linz

mike_n_linz Registered

i had to as he was motionless when i caught him plus it carnt be any worse than what hes just been throu

yea as this is the 2nd time in less than a week, so im going to add some kio crate, cut a hold so it fits over the 2nd pipe but so it rest's on the 1st pipe an put some off the net stuff of my carbon bag over the 2nd pipe if you understand me lol

9. mike_n_linz

mike_n_linz Registered

hes back in

hes on the bottom atm an his girl is at his side, he trys to swim up around 3" then goes back on the sand

fingers crossed

10. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

hes prob just catching his breath lol

give him a hour and keep us updated

11. screwloose

screwloose Registered

i agree with wayne,,straight back in so he can chill...

be mindful of why he jumped into the weir in the first place ...summat chasing it maybe ???

12. mike_n_linz

mike_n_linz Registered

ok hes been moving around not much but its something, hes now up under the return pipe swim a little up n down (i dont think theres much current there)

linz has just fed them but he didnt come out

nev his other half chases him every now n again other than that theres no other chasing from fish

id say hes got a 75% chance of makin it throu the night but il be up for another 2 hours so il keep watching

13. BillyLongPocketsShortArms

BillyLongPocketsShortArms Registered

Get a piece of eggcrate sat over the weir mate. Found one of my clowns in the weir the other day too. Luckily ive got that pipe in a pipe set up an he couldnt fit down the gap..

Hope he pulls thru fella.

14. mike_n_linz

mike_n_linz Registered

ive coverd them with the net bag of sum carbon till i make some crate cover

15. Gazer

Gazer Registered

So how's the little fella doing ?

16. mike_n_linz

mike_n_linz Registered

hes fine now mate eatin as normal, good job i was he when it happened or i think he wouldnt be with us today

17. wrigglytin

wrigglytin Registered

My little clown keeps pulling the same stunt, he vanished the other week and i found him in the pump compartment happily swimming 1/2 an inch away from my maxjet1200, i was amazed he didn't get sucked in an blended to a mush!

So as he's so small and seems to get through the weir comb i've superglued a chunk of a plastic hair comb to the back of the weir comb, he certainly can't fit through that, just need to keep checking it doesn't get blocked but so far its clown proof!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice