1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Clown Fish

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by afeltham, Aug 19, 2017.

1. afeltham

afeltham Registered

So, I'm new to this and I want to check things are okay with my new fish. I'm probably being paranoid but rather be that way than have unhappy fish.

Rather than bias the replies though by telling you what mine are doing I'm keen to understand what yours are doing to compare it with what I'm seeing.

So, for those of you that have clown fish...

How active are they?
    Where are they normally in relation to the top of the tank?
    Does water flow affect them?
    What is their normal behaviour?

Sorry to be vague but getting two clown fish today has been a dream come true and want to make sure they are okay.

Thanks in advance. A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Difficult one to answer as different types can and do act differently, the pair I have are true percs, they're normally quick to find a home either a nem or toadstool if ones provided. When I first got them they spent the first couple of nights at the top front corner of the tank until they settled .(They're resting in the anemone now) Tank bread clowns can be slow at finding a home,, if ever,,and spend most nights at the top in a corner.
    Yes flow affects them, just like any reef fish they like to spend the night resting, not fighting flow.

Why, what are yours doing?

3. afeltham

afeltham Registered

You've done great. Thank you.
    My concern was / is that the two seemed to be always up the top in one corner. The question about flow was because it seemed like they were struggling with the flow a bit and are only small. I'm possibly being over protective but don't want them to be unhappy.

On a related note, i'm starting to wonder if i was given bad advise. I clearly said its a new tank without corals yet these were recommended to me. I'm a sucker for clown fish and so at the time didn't think much about it and went with their advise. I'm now wondering what they'll call home. That being said, i don't think there is any reason i couldn't get a nem and indeed was planning on it eventually.

Thoughts?

4. doug_amanda

I wouldn't put a nem in just yet they need the stability a new tank can't offer, clowns don't need one it's just more natural for them, the first pair I had we're hosted by a power head.
    How big is your tank and what lights do you have and do you know what type of clowns you have?

5. afeltham

afeltham Registered

Okay. I won't rush to get a new just yet. Just feel like they are struggling up the top where the flow is greater. Turned wave Maker ( vortech ) off for now to help a bit.

I have a Radion XR30 and an EA Reef 900s. Just normal clowns.

Really appreciate the responses. Helping me relax a lot.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. doug_amanda

Occellaris clowns I would say,, yes hold back on the nem but there's no reason why you couldn't get them a nice long tentacle toadstool if you want to provide a home.theres no guarantees they'll go in it though, it's all dependant on if the fish still has that instinct,
    A lot of tank bread fish have lost it.
    Leave the powerheads on, the fish need it and so dose the tank, if they're finding it difficult at night they'll go and find shelter.

7. Grannycarolann

Grannycarolann Registered

We never had any nems in our tank and our clown fish used to tuck themselves away behind the uplift pipe for the filter at night( top left corner) of tank .

afeltham likes this.
  8. afeltham

afeltham Registered

So 36 hours on and i'm still a little concerned about the fish. Again, totally expecting some of this to be paranoia but would rather double check. I do take on board what people have said, and really appreciate it. I'm sure it must be hard to advise from afar but everyone does a great job.

The reason i'm checking on them all the time is they always seem quite clumsy in the tank. I see them pointing down a lot and when feeding and pump is slower etc they almost look wonky at the top of the water.

I think they've probably been in 15% of the water in the tank so far and i know there are plenty of quiet spots around the tank if they explored. It seems like quite an effort to swim but not sure if i'm mistaking them battling current with actually having fun.

On a related note, what speed to people have a vortec / power head at?

I keep reading the comment about tank breeds finding it difficult to settle in and trying to convince myself i'm over thinking it.

As always, thank you.

9. doug_amanda

It's worth remembering they are called clownfish because they are funny and clumsy swimmers,
    I use a gyre but I would set your vortec to a flow that eliminates any dead spots without turning your tank into a washing machine.

afeltham likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice