1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Cleansing Equipment.

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by damo666, Aug 23, 2018.

1. damo666

damo666 Registered

I'm currently working on an upgrade of a used tank I bought, 500ltr in total. What's the best way of "sterilisation"? For example I scrubbed the sump outside and hosed it down on it's side. That's been standing outside for 3 months Also, I've bought several.used items and want to be sure I'm not introducing anything detrimental to my new setup. I'm using white vinegar to get rid of any stubborn calcification Thanks

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

White vinegar will pretty much get rid of anything harmful with the possible exeption of copper if something has been previously used in a tank with copper medication.

hotashes likes this.
  3. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

id fill it with ro water for a while

4. damo666

damo666 Registered

Cheers, will do.

5. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

Id fill it with Tap water and citric acid mix that will clean any scum/calcareous algae etc for about a week then a good soak in plain ro

6. damo666

damo666 Registered

Cheers shady. I'll sort that out, sounds a good idea. Is it OK to do the same with the tank? Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice