1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured cleaner wrasse suicidal? ?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Turner, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Turner

Turner Registered

Hi folks. Ive got a few wrasses in my tank and in last couple of years not had an fatalities to jumping. But over the last few days my cleaner wrasse has started darting about the tank and almost diving out the water. A few splashes as its come near. My tank isnt covered but I hav a tall plimf and led lights above but the wrasse is a slight worry as its never done this before.
    Its been piecefull in my tank and with the rest of the fish for ages with no bother wat is going on??

2. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

Get another. I think they do better in pairs. If they have nothing to clean and nothing to do they get bored. My turned on my clams and started acting up. When i added a second they would chase each other playfully. Its great to watch them rolling around together they are very playful.

3. Turner

Turner Registered

Wow I wasnt expecting that. That sounds a good idea. Would it have to be the same bread of cleaner? Or would it mix alright with another sort?
    Thanks for the info:)

4. StarfishEnterprise

No. I only went with two cleaner wrasse. Just the usual ones. Couldnt comment on any other but having two is great. Unfortunatly they have to go with my tank breakdown.

5. Turner

Turner Registered

I will get one tomos then. Thanks. Its a crackin character:)

6. Turner

Turner Registered

Well. I purchased another cleaner wrasse today. It looked like they seemed settled with each other but I turned my back for half hour earlier and the new wrasse had disappeared. Other hangin about in same area. Just now new cleaner wrasse came out of hiding had a scrap and went back into hiding again:-( is this guna be trouble?

7. StarfishEnterprise

No. Their just sorting out whos who. A few days of chasing and they will settle. Go with lights outfor now to let new one rest after being put in.

8. sjspicer

sjspicer Registered

Cleaner wrasse can be quite difficult fish to keep. You have experienced one of their characteristics- fast almost suicidal swimming/ jumping. The other is feeding issues. I hope your wrasse are "feeders"- cleaner wrasse are often hard to feed in captivity and decline over time. So make sure any you get are feeding in the shop and watch them feed, too.

Regarding pairs, if bought as a pair, they are fun and interesting, however I wouldn't buy cleaner wrasse myself as I am concerned about the impact their removal has on the reef. They are not captive bred.

If introducing a second fish, there is a chance you will end up with two males, and in that case they will almost certainly fight, and in a 260litre tank, one will probably end up dead. But there is a 75% chance you will end up with two females or a male/female pair which are unlikely to fight. But a 260litre tank is small when you consider you already have other wrasses, too.

Hope it makes it.

Steve

9. Turner

Turner Registered

Sorry steve I need to change my description at bottom. My tank now is a 4x2x2.5 with sump. Loads of lr and corals. I have had this cleaner for about 2 yrs. Its very active and eats fine. Not sure about the new one but it fed earlier. They both in bed now sleeping so hopefully they will sort there differences out. The new one is smaller than the my older one.

10. sjspicer

sjspicer Registered

Ok that helps a bit- but a four footer still won't offer huge "escape" opportunities but certainly better than a 260litre.

As a rule of thumb its often a benefit to add bigger fish when re-establishing a pair (of clowns, for example), or adding a second fish of the same species, but its done now so you'll jut have to wait and see. Hope it works out ok.

Steve

11. Mayo

Mayo Registered

Iv got two cleaner, both was added separately without any bickering. They both feed like pigs and are by far the most entertaining fish in my tank! When they're not cleaning they're playing:) its fun to watch.

Iv had a pair in the past, one day one disappeared and a few days later the other one disappeared too. I found them a few days later down the side of the tank side by side like Romeo an Juliet :cry:

12. Turner

Turner Registered

Ohhhh noooo. Well just got in from work. Only my original cleaner on show. I dont think it has worked out:-(

13. StarfishEnterprise

Every pair iv had its taken a couple of days for them to settle after a week they are best buds and they clean each other and chase and act playful like Mayo said its great to watch. Hope it works for you too

14. Turner

Turner Registered

Bad do. Just seen all the fiah eating it. Only the head left and bit of body. Gutted.

15. StarfishEnterprise

Oh no. Could be a number of things though but stress from being hassled is likely problem. If you do try again try to settle the fish in your sump or a holding chamber within your tank. That way it can rest with out hassel. Then ad it to display but keep in a net breeder trap o it doesnt get attacked. Watch and see if they respond to each other then release. Personally not had to do this and iv had 3 pairs in the past but it may well help.

16. sjspicer

sjspicer Registered

Most wrasses are territorial- female/female groupings and male/female groups usually work, but male/male groups are usually a no-no. Its not just cleaner wrasse, its most species of wrasse. But like all fish, you also get variations from specimen to specimen of the same species.

Its just a question of statistics. 75% of the time you are usually ok, but the other 25% of the time... It could also be stress as said, or disease, or the fact that cleaner wrasse are often under nourished in captivity, particularly in fish shops.

Steve

17. StarfishEnterprise

Yes like you say sex of fish is an issue but as it is almost impossible to tell male and female cleaner wrasse apart then its always going to be a gamble.
    I never had the issue of feeding with cleaner wrasse. All mine have eaten well and without incident. Mine died usually through fault of their own curiosity. One got into a filter plate drain over a bioball chamber god knows how, another was digging and caused a rock slide on its head leaving a gapping wound, died two days later, my last two are being sold on after nipping at my clams.
    But also why i mentioned keeping the new fish seperate so as to check its condition and allow it to settle before adding to a displaytank.

18. sjspicer

sjspicer Registered

They are however notorious for being erratic feeders, so its really important to see any fish, not just cleaner wrasse, feeding in the shop before you take them home.

Wetwebmedia (set up by Bob Fenner) is a superb resource on practically all fish if you want sensible advice on any addition beforehand.

This is his take on cleaner wrasse:
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/labroide.htm

Definitely worth a read. He knows a lot more about fishkeeping than me... Admittedly his info is quite dated now, but I do very much trust his advice and judgement (and have been lucky enough to meet him).

Turner: I assume you don't have a quarantine tank? These are excellent for observing new additions for disease, feeding behaviour and the like. Some would say essential.

Steve

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  19. StarfishEnterprise

Is that me?

20. sjspicer

sjspicer Registered

No, Turner- you got my post without the edit!

Steve

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice