1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Clean Up Crew - Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Fish, Anemone's and Critters' started by hillie, Aug 12, 2019.

1. hillie

hillie Registered

Going back a couple of years, we had lots of clean up crew. Tone then decided it was a MUST to get a Valentino (I believe a dwarf puffer like fish). I have to say he was very handsome and extremely amusing to watch. We took him back to our LFS last week because as gorgeous as he was, as much as we loved watching him and as graceful as he was.....we really missed our clean-up crew.

Our Valentino was one spoilt boy. In the two years we had him he managed to munch his way through all our clean-up crew including a couple of huge red spotted shrimp, cleaning shrimps and all but a handful of snails.

Consequently the tank suffered too - probably the reason why our bubble tip nem had soooooo many babies.

Anyway, Valentino has now been re-homed. We took 23 nems to the LFS, took out half the rock, have now re-furbished the sand and are in the process of re-stocking the clean up crew.

Last week we put in half a dozen nassurius (spelling?) snails, half a dozen snails that have quite a long cone shaped shell. Two of those snails that have very shiny shells and delve into the sand and bought a silver-bellied wrasse and a jade wrasse. (We were overrun with the casings of those tiny worms that live in the sand - most of which we scooped out before putting in the new sand).

We will continue to increase the number of snails.......I understand one clean-up crew for each litre of water?

We did find a small black cucumber wrapped around one of the rocks and we have a spider? Well we call it a spider. It lives under the rocks, it's middle is about the size of a 10p piece and it has 5 or 6 legs?

Anyway, we would like to get some crabs.......I don't like the red and blue legged ones as the last batch we had kept killing the snails to get their shells.

SO, my question is "what crabs would you recommend" and also "what other clean-up crew"?

thanks in advance!!!!

2. fuzzyferret83

fuzzyferret83 Registered

Hermits are awesome clean up crew just buy a shed load of spare shells and then they wont feel the need to kill for a new home. Urchins are great cuc too. You could get an emerald crab but they turn predatory as they get bigger.

3. hillie

hillie Registered

Last time we did put empty shells in. But do you know what? The little blighters preferred a FRESH shell instead LOL.

I really fancy an emerald crab. Do they have to get really big to be able to eat a fish?

Quite like the idea of the short spined urchin.

What we really need is a crew who will concentrate on our rocks as they have now suffered the most and need a really good going at.

4. fuzzyferret83

fuzzyferret83 Registered

I had an emerald crab with a body about the size of a £2 coin and he took down my flame angel while it slept. The little bugger now lives in the sump. My long spined urchin is a beast of a rock cleaner.

5. hillie

hillie Registered

ah, ok. Cross off the emerald crab then.

We love the look of the long spined urchins but worry that we'd get spiked when putting hands in tank? How on earth do they manage to get around the rocks! Would think their spines would get in the way!

6. fuzzyferret83

fuzzyferret83 Registered

They are super interesting they have amazing control of those spines and can flatten them out to munch off the rocks. I've not been spiked in 10 years so easily avoidable

7. hillie

hillie Registered

ah, I'm rather liking the sound of that then! Can you have more than one in the tank? or is one plenty?

8. fuzzyferret83

fuzzyferret83 Registered

If there is plenty to eat you could have 2 but they eat like man vs food so you would probably find one eventually shrinks to oblivion.

9. hillie

hillie Registered

Okay, that makes sense. I think we'll add that to the list! Thank you!

10. fuzzyferret83

fuzzyferret83 Registered

Here's my algae monster.

Attached Files:

hillie likes this.
  11. hillie

hillie Registered

Can we have a FTS to see the size? He looks amazing!

We went to our LFS yesterday but they only had short spiked urchins. Bought 5 turbo snails, a pink cucumber and 2 orange legged crabs. Got home and saw our black cucumber climbing down from a rock.... thought we'd lost him LOL.

I hope 2 cucumbers are okay?

Will be keeping an eye out for a long spiked urchin!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice