1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Clams...

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by warby, Oct 18, 2015.

1. warby

warby Registered

Got up this morning looked at the tank as you do and my clam was gone! There is some stringy stuff on the small rock he came on I thought some one had eaten him....then looking around more it looks like he's moved him self down the rock onto the sand bed there's no way he could have been knocked off as he's up right open and slightly buried in the gravel......any one had a clam do this before or has something knocked him off and he has landed there by chance??

Been called in to work so can't get a picture at the min but I will do when I get back

2. warby

warby Registered

You can see where it's moved from (the small disc shapes rock) to the sand partially shaded.

What do I do? Leave him or move him back?

uploadfromtaptalk1445175717522.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1445175746704.jpg

3. Tango

Tango Registered

Leave him be. Clams are very clever at moving to a spot that they like for light and flow.
    He has clearly let his foot go to purposely move to a better spot for him.
    They actually prefer the sand to rocks in most cases anyway.

4. Wal35

Wal35 Registered

I had two in the past, one stayed on the rock base and the other one moved to the sand

Both were NOT in the shade though, yours look as it is in the shade now, i would move it to get some light to start with and see whether it retract back to the shade although i doubt it, then you can decide if you like to take it up to the original rock.

They like the light

Any one bothering her and both of mine got battered and then killed ( i witnessed one of the them ) by my purple tang

5. warby

warby Registered

It was in the shade iv got the dish shaped rock he came on on the sand and put the clam on it and will see what happens. Been reading and there a bit like anemones with regards to moving for light and flow.

6. Tango

Tango Registered

IMG_0153 (2).jpg
    You have just answered your own question, leave it be. if it wants more light or flow it will find it by itself.
    I have 6 clams 3 have chosen to be in heavily lit area and the other 3 have moved completely away from the lights.
    They will go were they want to go. The more moving and placing the more chance you have of annoying the **** out of it, damaging his foot and him not being happy.
    Nobody chooses their spot on a reef lol. :) These 2 are not under any diredt light and are doing fine.

7. trout

trout Registered

How long have you been keeping clams? I believe that there is some misinformation in your post. Are you making the highlighted general statements based on your observations of your three clams or are your statements based on information you read in the literature? If the latter is true, then would you mind sharing this information?

If you leave a clam out of light, it will not survive in long term. It will run out energy and die suddenly, which is what surprises many clam owners. One day you have a healthy clam and the next day the clam is dead, they wonder why!

8. Tango

Tango Registered

Thanks and Hi.
    My statements are from my observations & watching my clams for last 3 years.I have 6 clams in total. They are all healthy & thriving.
    We have placed a couple & they have stayed put. We have placed others & they move for about a week, then stay.
    We actually have one in particular that moves about constantly. Almost guarantee will be in a different spot every week or so. He likes to move close to other corals & rock faces and it almost appears he doesn't like being in the "open".

Now most interesting of all is the 2 in that photo are at the end of a 7 footer with only a 5 foot light. So although they get light spread they both are not under direct light & never have been. They chose to walk there when we had placed them under direct light, everything you read tells you they need strong light. All our clams grow healthy new white scallops and have grown extremely fast. Once again everything you read says " slow growers". Although I know this varies with each species. If a clam is in too strong / weak flow or light they will move to a better spot on their own. I don't feed them as such ( target not recommended ) but I do keep very stable water parameters & water Column feed the tank with seachem
    plus & reef roids once a week.
    Hope this as clarified my comments in previous post. :) I have also recently bought a baby clam , about the size of my thumbnail. He is next to the 2 big ones , everyone said survival chances were very slim , he had no colour. He has now been with us 2 months , has colour, has grown & is once again at the end of the tank. I am on iPhone right now will put pics up tonight when home of the light & their placement.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  9. Tango

Tango Registered

ok.
    so here are some photos of our clams.
    I have taken a pic of the end of the tank, now remember this is a 7 foot tank with a 5 foot light. So the last foot of the tank has no direct lighting just light spread. in pic you can clearly see they are not under DIRECT light.

IMG_0643.jpg

this next pic is of growth that those clams have obtained. These pics are of approx 8-10 weeks growth.

IMG_0641.jpg

This is the one that moves constantly. Now he has moved to these places on his own, we have not placed or tried to move him just to please us. We let him be. He always picks the security of other corals and a more shaded area. In second pic you can once again see his new growth.

lesleys IPHONE 5s pictures 168.jpg IMG_0640.jpg

once again, he has great growth.

Finally this is the teeny tiny clam, when we bought him he was colorless and not opening fully.
    He has since colored beautifully, is opening great and is also not under direct light. You will see in all 3 pics he is in a different spot, only small moves because he is a teeny clam but the larger clams can move a considerable distance in 24hrs. Ive seen them.
    IMG_0638.jpg IMG_0178.jpg IMG_0560.jpg

10. Tango

Tango Registered

I have been keeping clams for 3 yrs now. I know its not ages compared to others, but I haven't lost one yet.Even bought a very sick clam, I paid a token price because the lfs told me he wasn't going to make it. He has fully recovered and doing well. As the picture shows you they are healthy and doing well in my system.
    I do know that clams can move, ive watched and seen them do it. I do also know that they will move if unhappy with position.
    They have a foot for a reason. They use it to attach and detach as they please.
    People often have problems with clams when they try to move an attached clam to a better position. Many people have lost clams to doing this, ripping the attached foot and then infection sets in.
    A clam can and will release it own foot, safely and easily when he wishes to move.
    If you have any more questions, i will do my best to answer them.
    But my statements are based on keeping clams not reading about them.

11. trout

trout Registered

Well done on your good clam keeping. That's great. Please keep up the good work. Having said that the success you have had so far is limited to a small number of clams. Because the actual number involved is statistically insignificant, we cannot deduce general conclusions from your successful experiment so far. I understand what you are saying in your last sentence, but body of knowledge accumulated in the literature is a result of many years of research, observations and experiments based on very many clams not a few.

Best wishes

12. allrover75

allrover75 Registered

[MENTION=22296]Tango[/MENTION] Worship Wow, what an inspirational thread - those pictures of the clams are just gorgeous. Well the tank looks amazing overall, but I am totally inspired to get some Clams into my reef tank now. I'm totally new to the hobby, just in the process of setting up my first tank, and trying to learn as much as I can about all the various potential inhabitants of my reef. I never thought what is essentially a shell with a foot could have so much character, but I'm smitten!

Are there any special requirements clams need over and above those you would have anyway for a usual fish/CUC/LPS/SPS reef tank?

13. Tango

Tango Registered

HI, firstly thank you. appreciate your lovely comments.
    I personally wouldn't put a clam into an newish system. I would wait for at least 12 months before adding.
    They don't seem to need any "special"' care, i think the secret to clams (or any other inhabitant) in a reef tank is stability in the parameters. I don't believe they like big swings in Mag, alk and cal. (most corals don't) Nitrates and phos to be kept under control as well and it takes a while for the tank to sort of become stable and settle.
    You as a reef keeper also need to gain the experience to keep it that way, this can take time.
    They do need to have decent lighting and reasonable flow as they are filter feeders but honestly - decent lighting and pristine water is your best secret to any reef tank. If you can learn how to keep that then you will do well with clams.
    Good luck with your venture, its a very addictive hobby indeed. It sounds like your doing the right thing and reading and learning as much as you can, if you continue to do that you will be a good reef keeper.

14. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Nice thread and some great clams too.

As you say stability is the key and having the discipline to routinely maintain a tank and keep nutrients all in check sounds easy but with so many variables is challenging.

Ps. Tank looks great!!!

15. Tango

Tango Registered

Thank you. We really enjoy this hobby a lot. But yes it's a very challenging hobby at times but worth every bit of it. Lol

16. allrover75

allrover75 Registered

Thanks. Tbh I think it's good that there is a nice mix of new tank suitable inhabitants and others you have to aim for later on. Gives the hobby that addictive element as you say.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice